Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

charlie one:
Good morning Harvey. Still in the Rawlings family. It’s now run by Kevin Rawlings who

is the Nephew of Jimmy RIP. A really nice guy and a warm human being. I’m only saying

this in case he’s watching. Only fault I can see is there aren’t enough lights on the tractors.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Need all them lights Charlie they go chain harrowing with them tractors at the weekend, Buzzer.

charlie one:
Good morning Harvey. Still in the Rawlings family. It’s now run by Kevin Rawlings who

is the Nephew of Jimmy RIP. A really nice guy and a warm human being. I’m only saying

this in case he’s watching. Only fault I can see is there aren’t enough lights on the tractors.

You still looking for a job Charlie… they could fork lift you in, and you could fall out when you get there…hitch your mobility scooter on the back, like a double B outfit…sorted… :unamused:

charlie one:

I think you are right Charlie, this poor chap would have things dried out in seconds with those lamps, :laughing: Harvey

Fergie47:

charlie one:

You still looking for a job Charlie… they could fork lift you in, and you could fall out when you get there…hitch your mobility scooter on the back, like a double B outfit…sorted… :unamused:

Dave. That is a thought. Not a good one may I add. The forklift and the scooter on the back are sound. However the falling out bit doesn’t grab me. Thanks for thinking of me. You’ve got a good heart. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Fergie47:

charlie one:

Hi Dave,

Hope you and Liz are well, I don’t know why Charlie is worried about all the lights on the motors,he never used to drive at night !!

Regards
Richard

HRS:

charlie one:

I think you are right Charlie, this poor chap would have things dried out in seconds with those lamps, :laughing: Harvey

You’re right Harvey. If I was ever weekended with a empty tilt,I would do my washing and hang it up in there. Stopped people from nicking your towels etc. Also stopped people like Mappo leering at my underpants! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Richard…Good afternoon. How many times have I told you. Nights are for eating sleeping and carrying on!

Not that you would know anything about that eh? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

MaggieD:
Hi Dave,

Hope you and Liz are well, I don’t know why Charlie is worried about all the lights on the motors,he never used to drive at night !!

Regards
Richard

Richard, we’re both good thanks, and you and Angie too I hope…

Guess a simpler idea would be fixing a fifth wheel and a tag to his scoot, a raincoat and crash hat and he’s on his way…

charlie one:

Fergie47:

charlie one:

Dave. That is a thought. Not a good one may I add. The forklift and the scooter on the back are sound. However the falling out bit doesn’t grab me. Thanks for thinking of me. You’ve got a good heart. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Buzzer:
Still going today doing the empty cows to Italy, Buzzer.

That’s a lovely liveried outfit,very smart.

David

Buzzer:
Blast from the past, Buzzer

High I drove a sister F89 foe Armstrongs painted in Armstrongs livery then P&O.I emigrated in 79 but took delivery of the first F12 to replace the 89’s.Believe that truck is Princes recovery truck.

Yep that’s the one but we ran it on trade plates.

Clipping from a 1979 magazine.

Click on page once for larger view.

DEANB:

Spot the difference between the 2 pictures !

Is that a Mini clubman ?

Someone has nicked his boxes! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Someone has nicked his boxes! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

One was going the other coming home, do I get the first prize ? Buzzer.

Less fuel in it?? :wink:

Chris
theres a tree missing in the field behind.
I remember drive her for 3 weeks when Phil had his 1st boy, had to reverse in every delivery didn’t make a bad job of it
Didn’t the bogie go into LTS6 to make her a tri axle which was a lovely trl to tow even though she did bounce about bit under braking when empty
Jeremy

roolechat:

DEANB:

Spot the difference between the 2 pictures !

Some good responses,though Charlie is obviously approaching it from a pecuniary angle-5t scrap ally has to be worth a few shillings!
& Buzzer-don’t know if he’s coming or going & I think Suedehead is confusing front wheel drive & rear wheel drive ! Pete: close but no cigar !

Whilst the UK was limited to 32T Gross,20T was the normal payload.However this vehicle operated at 38T carryied 25T by loading 10T on the rigid,15T on the trlr (which was loaded using another unit) & hitching up in the dock.Initially a lot of it’s work was 25 T rubber from Fawley’s Butyl plant to various Michelin & Pirelli factories in Italy reloading 25T chemicals for Romsey w/hse from Turin. It was underpowered & often the “tail wagged the dog”. Thorersen was the preferred ferry crossing as reversing onto the Dragon or Leopard required special skills, patience & several spare pairs of underwear!
The fact that the combined outfit had 48ft of combined bed space also made it attractive for certain light traffics
With the advent of 38T,the advantage ceased & the vehicle reverted to being a 16T 4 wheeler-albeit in it’s solo roll somewhat overpowered!

I think my natural greed overtook my common sense! Regards Charlie :sunglasses: :sunglasses: