Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

r slicker:
dont forget gone bust express (gbe) also. head office was in poole.

didn’t gbe get taken over by TNT?

no gbe went bust. varous parts where bought from the recivers. transaliance bought poole/cherbourg part. p+o ferrymasters bought the italian part. as far as i can remember tnt didnt buy any part of it. i will stand corrected though. i was working for them in novara when they went under. sad day.

zzarbean:
I was a contract subbie to Ferrymasters Southampton around then but I must admit I can’t place those firms. Probably due to spending too many nights in the Juniper Berry or paddling around the swiming pool car park.

bloody hel that takes me back,had many happy times in juniper berry.
went to the bog once and the drag act was there having a p**s looked quite funny in dress etc at mans urinal

gerbil sb152:
Hi Dr hook getting back to the picture in Lucketts yard i think the guy with his back to the camera on the right in a boiler suit is vic briscoe he was there fitter and also my mate’s dad the guy stood to his left also back to camera look’s like dave luckett, the photo unfortunately is a bit grany but can’t be helped with old pic’s at least you have some. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are a few more pictures. one of a BOC Transhield TM having a rest at 3 maids hill, and Hyde Abbey Scammell as it is today, waiting to be restored again.

ULD 664 with (Parker Bent) 2001 constructor.jpg

Here’s an old advert of UBM.

Click on page twice to magnify,bottom RHS.

Evening Dean

Yes i was on that job as an apprentice.
It was one of Fyffes of Monroe Leyland Marathons .

Do you remember the Winchester bypass going northbound , dropping down toward the iron bridge.
You could take the slip towards Compton , he ended up on the grass in the road sign between the slip road and the bypass.

Fsb

r slicker
I worked for them from the start when they were Speedfreight European then GB Express and finaly GBE. I did a month in Novarra at one time pulling trailers off the train and mainly doing 3M and PPG loads, I left when we moved over to France and went on for Norbert. One thing with GBE we always had good kit ,Man,s ,Pegasso Troners ,Iveco 480 and Magnums and it was a good firm to work for,in the early days Jeff Duval (the boss and a realy nice bloke ) would always be on Poole docks to see us off when we shipped out on a Sunday afternoon.We all knew they would go bust one day but always wondered when . I beleive Transalliance took over Cherbourg and Bordeaux depots ,and P and O Ferrymasters took over Bournemouth ,Portsmouth, GBE (Midlands ) at Fradley,Coventry warehouse and Barcelona.

i started with a pegsarsole and then a 480 iveco. finished up with a 325 iveco bag of crap. i stayed on at novara when p+o took over. my first house in novara was in via wild next door to edmonsons (old) yard.right by the terminal. can you remember any of the lads ■■ mark-dannielle-federico etc ■■

Are mainland market deliverys still running,them lads used to put the hours in

Does anybody rememeber Marty Scott Smith from BFC of Eastleigh or Doug Penney

chrislagdon:
Just to get the answer for the original post asking about BFC and AKT ,

BFC was originally from Common Barn Farm in Chestnut ave , Eastleigh and was started by Barry Jellis and Bill Aldridge , The original vehicles were 2 x F86’s (Bionic Bubbles) they pulled containers for ACL out of the original 201 berth in Southampton , They may have not been the most professional of companies but were great to work for if you were prepared to work ,
AKT or Arthur Kneller transport was originally based in Queens terrace Southampton and ran rigids doing groupage from the Southampton docks and Air freight to Heathrow , they were brought out by BFC in the early 70’s I think ,

Arthur Kneller (AKT) & Barry Jellis (BFC) along with most of the management team of BFC & BFC freight fowarding left BFC to start two separate companies , they were called Shamara Ltd and Pentalver Limited , Shamara didn’t last too long before going bust , But Pentalver Limited , Well that’s another story !

Chris.

IIRC Shamara operated a mix of pre loved vehicles. Here are some which made it to auction in June 1995

roolechat:

chrislagdon:
Just to get the answer for the original post asking about BFC and AKT ,

BFC was originally from Common Barn Farm in Chestnut ave , Eastleigh and was started by Barry Jellis and Bill Aldridge , The original vehicles were 2 x F86’s (Bionic Bubbles) they pulled containers for ACL out of the original 201 berth in Southampton , They may have not been the most professional of companies but were great to work for if you were prepared to work ,
AKT or Arthur Kneller transport was originally based in Queens terrace Southampton and ran rigids doing groupage from the Southampton docks and Air freight to Heathrow , they were brought out by BFC in the early 70’s I think ,

Arthur Kneller (AKT) & Barry Jellis (BFC) along with most of the management team of BFC & BFC freight fowarding left BFC to start two separate companies , they were called Shamara Ltd and Pentalver Limited , Shamara didn’t last too long before going bust , But Pentalver Limited , Well that’s another story !

Chris.

IIRC Shamara operated a mix of pre loved vehicles. Here are some which made it to auction in June 1995

A rare and interesting view of the Shamara operation! Anyone remember their old LHD ERF? Here are a couple of pics to jog memories. Robert

newerf611%20%20dave%20lee%20pic.jpg

When I was down the Falklands in 1982-83 there was an ex Shamara tractor unit used on shunting duties in Stanley, an old Seddon Atkinson I think, sorry no pictures!

Dieselcowboy:

leslie g heath:
What about Norman Offer, Summerfields who ran Fodens, Whitehorn? Transport, im sure all these were Soton based.

Norman Offer (Transport) Limited went into receivership in 2005, but Norman Offer Limited continues. they moved first into West Bay Road (near Bacardi) and now have a unit on an industrial estate somewhere and an office in the docks. www.normanoffer.com will tell you where.

I think it’s purely loading and tipping boxes though, and I don’t think that they run any wagons any more.

dafdave:
Are mainland market deliverys still running,them lads used to put the hours in

Yes, they are - I saw one yesterday

charlie one:
Bulldog eh. Johnny Ward. Last I heard was running tippers. If I am wrong please correct me.

No - John Ward is the chairman of PMP Logistics at Fareham (container haulier)

Just to keep you on the front page this qualifies with S.T.S. trailer.

Smart old unit there wonder where you acquired that from, Buzzer.

This AEC Mammoth Major 9.6 litre 6 wheeled petroleum tanker was delivered to Esso Petroleum Fawley in 1952. After 63 years service,latterly as a foam tender in the refinery’s fire department,it was finally retired . Esso donated the AEC to the Waterside Historic Vehicle Club. There can’t be many vehicles which have 63 years active service with the original owner !

Esso AEC.JPG