Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Dr Hook:

roolechat:
Southern Roadways operated from West Shore Wharf in Poole. They also had offices in London W12 (Shepherds Bush),
Handsworth in Birmingham & also Bristol (Tower Hill)
They were nationalised in 1948 into British Road Services South Western District (F) becoming part of Southampton Division (depot code 20F)
The Scammel pictured is a petrol engined with a nominal capacity of 14 T,though 17 T would have been the norm

Just joined this forum and have some pictures that might be of interest.

These are from mine and my dads days at UBM Winchester, the launch of the Transcon at Bar end Winchester and a few pictures of his wreckers and some local jobs we did.

I have got some later ones from the 80s and 90s when I was a fitter and drove for other recovery companies.

Hi Dr Hook,

Welcome to Trucknet,some great photo’s you’ve put on,did Dad work there when it was Hyde Abbey ? with the likes of Keith Widdows,and Mick in the stores.

Regards
Richard

Evening Richard

Yes I think its Mick stood on the step of the Scammell in Buddens yard Fareham.

I worked with Keith as an apprentice, used to go out on breakdowns with him and have the pleasure of being towed on a bar at warp speed .

Hi all. Welcome to the forum dr hook. The first picture you posted is that in lucketts yard in Fareham by any chance ,it would have been before my time as i am only a boy (ha ha my little joke). :stuck_out_tongue:

Morning

Yes it was in Lucketts ,I think the ran tippers back then.
It was before my time too hence confusing them with buddens.
Did you work at ubm?

Hi no i drove for lucketts started when i was 18 about 1973 on the lorry’s till i was 22 then i was there first full time coach driver did it for 6 months hated every minuet of it he would not let me go back to lorry’s so i left, shame really dave luckett was a good bloke to work for but never mind. :sunglasses:

Dr Hook:

Hi Dr Hook,

Yes it looks like Mick Crouch I last saw him at Adams Morey in the stores at Redbridge. Back in the mid sixties I had a few pub crawls round Winchester with him and Keith,I think Keith had a Ford Zephyr then with a “Tuned” engine.

Regards
Richard

Hi Dr hook getting back to the picture in Lucketts yard i think the guy with his back to the camera on the right in a boiler suit is vic briscoe he was there fitter and also my mate’s dad the guy stood to his left also back to camera look’s like dave luckett, the photo unfortunately is a bit grany but can’t be helped with old pic’s at least you have some. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi

Yes Keith had a Zodiac that the old man bought off him.
It was 2 time grey on 5 and a half js.

I wouldn’t know who they were, as I wasn’t working with him then.
Glad you are finding them of interest.
My dad is the one in the scammell, George Scott.
I will post some more later.

Just to get the answer for the original post asking about BFC and AKT ,

BFC was originally from Common Barn Farm in Chestnut ave , Eastleigh and was started by Barry Jellis and Bill Aldridge , The original vehicles were 2 x F86’s (Bionic Bubbles) they pulled containers for ACL out of the original 201 berth in Southampton , They may have not been the most professional of companies but were great to work for if you were prepared to work ,
AKT or Arthur Kneller transport was originally based in Queens terrace Southampton and ran rigids doing groupage from the Southampton docks and Air freight to Heathrow , they were brought out by BFC in the early 70’s I think ,

Arthur Kneller (AKT) & Barry Jellis (BFC) along with most of the management team of BFC & BFC freight fowarding left BFC to start two separate companies , they were called Shamara Ltd and Pentalver Limited , Shamara didn’t last too long before going bust , But Pentalver Limited , Well that’s another story !

Chris.

chrislagdon:
Just to get the answer for the original post asking about BFC and AKT ,

BFC was originally from Common Barn Farm in Chestnut ave , Eastleigh and was started by Barry Jellis and Bill Aldridge , The original vehicles were 2 x F86’s (Bionic Bubbles) they pulled containers for ACL out of the original 201 berth in Southampton , They may have not been the most professional of companies but were great to work for if you were prepared to work ,
AKT or Arthur Kneller transport was originally based in Queens terrace Southampton and ran rigids doing groupage from the Southampton docks and Air freight to Heathrow , they were brought out by BFC in the early 70’s I think ,

Arthur Kneller (AKT) & Barry Jellis (BFC) along with most of the management team of BFC & BFC freight fowarding left BFC to start two separate companies , they were called Shamara Ltd and Pentalver Limited , Shamara didn’t last too long before going bust , But Pentalver Limited , Well that’s another story !

Chris.

Chris I think I know you from way back but me old grey cells are fading, remember well BFC in Chestnut Avenue, also Shamara and Pentalver. Been around the transport game for more years than I care to remember but now retired but the two sons carry on today. Did you or are you related to Tony Kimber just a hunch in the back of my mind, Tony used to look after my trucks in the early 80’s and seem to remember him having a recovery truck signed up in Shamara livery, of course I may have lost it and got it all wrong but it rings a bell. Today Pentalver is run by Russel Baker & others and he went to school with my two boys and they still see each other socially. Notice this is your first post on here so welcome and you will find many a name will pop up on here from the past which in my opinion were the best days in transport. You said in your bit about not being the most professionally of run companies but back then a lot were running a bit close to the wire but that was part and parcel of the haulage game and most of the time you got away with it before tacho’s were compulsory and the log book was used. Look forward to your reply to confirm if I have completely lost it, John Davies AKA Buzzer.

Who can remember the following hauliers. Eric Baker. Sea Route Ferry.R and A Transport. Jim Squibb. Southern Transport and Shipping(STS). Curtiss and Phillips.Robert Armstrong. Transport. Jameson Europa. to name but a few.If there is anyone out there still alive who had anything to do with these companies,you must be as old as me! IWorked for quite a few of these over the years.Cracking times.

What about Norman Offer, Summerfields who ran Fodens, Whitehorn? Transport, im sure all these were Soton based.

leslie g heath:
What about Norman Offer, Summerfields who ran Fodens, Whitehorn? Transport, im sure all these were Soton based.

It apears that Norman Offer has gone too. Although I didn’t know it I heard on the local BBC radio down there the other day that the ‘former Norman Offer haulage yards have been sold’. Another one bites the dust.

Yep, Southern Transport I remember well, used to ship out from Portsmouth with them alot. Actually, as near ago as 2000 I saw one of theirs entering Switzerland, with an orange 3 series Scania on the front, UK plate, with high roof conversion, presumably a subbie.

When I worked for STS ,we shipped out from Soton.Coming from Pompey it was no prob.Hawever when they changed to Pompey.it became a pain in the rear.With the demise of the sea freight many haulage companies went under.Norman Offer had been going for many years.Probably came out smelling of roses. Very astute man. I hope astute is not rude!

Hi,
Boots the chemist have now released my photo’s of the August bash,they passed them to Hampshire police as they were concerned about some of the characters in them,they are still holding some and as soon as I can get them I will put them on.

Regards
Richard

These 4 were planning the next Brinks Mat robbery.

thumbnail_014.jpg
Funded by Mr Big ex haulier and now livestock dealer

Here we see Horry (believed to be a relation of Mr Big) trying to get an innocent driver to ship out to Milan on the night boat.

thumbnail_016.jpg
Judging by the look on his face he has conned the poor lad into going !

An eager TirTone alias Mappo tries to call Horry to bid for the Milan job

Eddie and Paul contemplate doing it as a two man job.

Portsmouth was ok for me, coming from Weymouth. Lots of familiar names used that crossing, Bulldog Int., C.Compton Commercials, C.A. Stevens, Pulleyns.

Bloody hilarious Rich. :laughing: :laughing:
You forgot to post a photo of the biggest villain of all, that shady geezer from West Wellow… :unamused: :laughing:
It was a great afternoon as always, and very well attended, and was a pleasure to see some new old school faces there,
including the one and only Cliff Luxton, Frank and Ian Topham, Peter Dyke, Percy and Kevin Fury…here’s hoping we all make the next one… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

dont forget gone bust express (gbe) also. head office was in poole.

Bulldog eh. Johnny Ward. Last I heard was running tippers. If I am wrong please correct me.What about A S Rawlings.I did a few days and nights for him. Lovely man. Lousy payer. I remember I had had an accident in Pisa.The car driver topped himself under the trailer.The local police banged me up for the night.I managed to phone Jim in the morning.I told him of the prob.He said “Will you get loaded today/” When I told him no he threw a wobbley. All heart that man!