Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

roolechat:
Articulated vehicles & general haulage were never a large part of the Sibley operation. This RR powered Seddon 32.4 was supplied by Tilburys
IIRC Princes also supplied a Volvo T/unit to Sibleys

I think their Volvo unit was on traction for O.C.L. for a long time? The driver was “Sibley Cyril”.
IIRC it had a roof rack carrying a set of sheets, not too useful on container work!

Evening all actually I bought the ex Sibley F88 from Meacher’s Commercials and what a state it was on the inside of the cab, one dirty mother f–ker, Colin Grey steam cleaned the inside of the cab out. It was on OCL containers and the reg no was OTR 37M, good 240 motor then bought a second from Colin Glasspool, cheers Buzzer.

We’ve put into service a new trailer.
Change of body colour and added the corporate logo. Losing the “weakest link” motto!
Now, white trailer, white tractor and white shirted driver all match. :laughing:

Harve: The workshop manager was Martin Tomlinson…and I’m sure he is RIP! :cry: A very nice man, too nice to run a bunch of workshop hooligans!

gazzer:
We’ve put into service a new trailer.
Change of body colour and added the corporate logo. Losing the “weakest link” motto!
Now, white trailer, white tractor and white shirted driver all match. :laughing:

Harve: The workshop manager was Martin Tomlinson…and I’m sure he is RIP! :cry: A very nice man, too nice to run a bunch of workshop hooligans!

Hi Gary, So sad to get that piece of news, yes indeed a nice chap.
White truck, White trailer, White shirted driver, close, very close, but I think you just got away with it ha!!!
Now be honest mate, would you not just love to swop that rig for an E J Thomas F86 with a bulk blow trailer, with a shiney new hook for the sheet.
76 mph down hill, eh !!
Harvey

I know what you were alluding to Harvey!! Tut tut!

I have to correct something, it was Martin Tomlin, many called him Tomlinson in error. Me too now!

Hmm F86 at about 15mph up the other side! Head banging on the roof! NO!

Hi all. Gazzer you don’t know what you missed good old days f86 low slung bath trailer load out of shepton mallet for the new m25 being built. As the trailer was so low you could keep flat out round bends as they sat so low. Bit awkward to sheet up if you only had stone on but no rolling on the bends not like the Wilcox. But yes you are right hard work fully loaded at 38 ton on the f86 but good truck in its time. :smiley:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all. Gazzer you don’t know what you missed good old days f86 low slung bath trailer load out of shepton mallet for the new m25 being built. As the trailer was so low you could keep flat out round bends as they sat so low. Bit awkward to sheet up if you only had stone on but no rolling on the bends not like the Wilcox. But yes you are right hard work fully loaded at 38 ton on the f86 but good truck in its time. :smiley:

Hi gerbil,
The real Mendip boys whent for the Wilcox because they could get a full load on.
Harvey

It is not a Southampton lorry, but an unusual outfit. Ray Smyth.

Scanner.png

Ray Smyth:
It is not a Southampton lorry, but an unusual outfit. Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,
Yes indeed, very interesting. I can understand the trailer being leveled with chocks, clever gear inside etc but why did they chock up the disconnected unit ■■? and only the drive axle.
I am sure some one will tell us. Great picture though. harvey

Now Gaydon over I can post some of the pics I have of the Bakers F89 I did, driven by Phil Dibden (RIP) I was asked by Phil’s Nephew Mark who used to travel a lot with Phil in it abroad to build it but Mark or no one saw it until yesterday at Gaydon it got second place for best Volvo and 3rd place for best Plant/Heavy Haulage.

Pete Clues old Fiat 170/35 he drove on Transport Services got 2nd place for best replica of real truck and second place in Iveco class.

Another picture by Ashley Coghill.

Well done jima, some detail on Baker’s Volvo, how did you find the model to make it?
Is the dozer a toy or is that a model to make,what ever a credit to you mate!

Magnifico as always Jimmer well done, Buzzer.

Jimski:
Now Gaydon over I can post some of the pics I have of the Bakers F89 I did, driven by Phil Dibden (RIP) I was asked by Phil’s Nephew Mark who used to travel a lot with Phil in it abroad to build it but Mark or no one saw it until yesterday at Gaydon it got second place for best Volvo and 3rd place for best Plant/Heavy Haulage.

Thats a quality model mate ! Like the way the dozer is covered in mud,very realistic ! :smiley:

One of Jameson’s.

Well done Jim
Brilliant as always but don’t use up all F88/F89 cabs up
Cheers
Rich

Brilliant models yet again Jimmer, the detail is amazing…well done mate.

Thank you all :smiley:

Hi Jim,

It was good to meet up with you at Gaydon yesterday. I would like to thank you once again for all your hard work in making such an excellent job of Phil’s Volvo F89 which he drove for Bakers, I think he would have been very impressed! It was also great to see the model Fiat of Transport Services you made as Phil drove this truck too, he would have covered a few miles and had some stories to tell in these two motors I bet!

All the best, Mark