Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:

HRS:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Hi Roolechat,
My god, that picture brings back a few memories, thanks.
A little while ago I mentioned the “Scammell Scarob” think I have the spelling right"
Well here she is in her BRS livery, can you picture yourself gliding through the snow going over the Cenis, ok, ok, you would need a bolt on sleeper but I remember a company in Andover who would do that for you.!!!

LOCOMOTORS, do I get the prize HRS, cheers Buzzer.

Gold star mate !!! and for that extra point, what was the salesmans name ■■? he was at it for years

HRS:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Hi Roolechat,
A little while ago I mentioned the “Scammell Scarob” think I have the spelling right"
Well here she is in her BRS livery, can you picture yourself gliding through the snow going over the Cenis, ok, ok, you would need a bolt on sleeper but I remember a company in Andover who would do that for you.!!!

Hi Harvey,
Hope you are well, my wife Angie used to do 2 Italy’s a week from Paris to Savona in this, each time over the Cenis,here she is loading in Shell Paris.

Regards
Richard

Richard, Angie had it made easy for her by virtue of trailer swaps at each end, aided by the automatic coupling, thereby shaving valuble munutes at either end. Allegedly. John

MaggieD:

HRS:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Hi Roolechat,

Hi Harvey,
Hope you are well, my wife Angie used to do 2 Italy’s a week from Paris to Savona in this, each time over the Cenis,here she is loading in Shell Paris.
Regards
Richard

Richard what a fantastic photo, such a lovely young lady, shame on you…twice a week, shame !!!
Two headlamps and two seats, god, they new how to spoil a driver in France.
Yes I am fine thanks, just finished a 10 hour shift to Grangemouth, sorry, I cant get this twice a week out of my head.
Take care, Harvey

Hi all, MaggieD i have sent you a pm mate. :smiley:

Dimplex trader.jpg

HRS:
Hi All,
Can anyone remember the Southampton company, Dimplex.
If so who has a picture of one of there fantastic trucks, The Scammel Scarob, with its one eye.
Not ever forgeting the auto coupling, now there was a proper truck, eh ■■? Milano twice a week no prob". Harvey

Dimplex operated a nucleus of their own ‘C’ Licence vehicles (all van bodied) but the majority of their transport was contracted out either on contract ‘A’ ( 7 vehicles in Dimplex livery) or open ‘A’’ licence.The traffic was somewhat seasonal & could be light & bulky (imitation coal fires)or heavy (storage heater fire bricks).The 2 Scarabs were ideal shunting between the various Millbrook units,but when Dimplex took a warehouse at Victory Transport’s Rownhams site they struggled-even with a tail wind along Trebourba Way !
The 2 Scarabs were replaced by Bedford TK’s supplied by Winchester Motor Co

Dimplex also operated 2 Leyland Super Comets (LAD cabbed) which featured illuminated advertising on the offside of the van bodies

Dimplex.jpg

roolechat:

HRS:
Hi All,
Can anyone remember the Southampton company, Dimplex.
If so who has a picture of one of there fantastic trucks, The Scammel Scarob, with its one eye.
Not ever forgeting the auto coupling, now there was a proper truck, eh ■■? Milano twice a week no prob". Harvey

Dimplex operated a nucleus of their own ‘C’ Licence vehicles (all van bodied) but the majority of their transport was contracted out either on contract ‘A’ ( 7 vehicles in Dimplex livery) or open ‘A’’ licence.The traffic was somewhat seasonal & could be light & bulky (imitation coal fires)or heavy (storage heater fire bricks).The 2 Scarabs were ideal shunting between the various Millbrook units,but when Dimplex took a warehouse at Victory Transport’s Rownhams site they struggled-even with a tail wind along Trebourba Way !
The 2 Scarabs were replaced by Bedford TK’s supplied by Winchester Motor Co

Dimplex also operated 2 Leyland Super Comets (LAD cabbed) which featured illuminated advertising on the offside of the van bodies

“WOW” now that is what I call an answer to a question, fantastic.
Thank you roolechat, Harvey

Sorry JD, can not remember the salesmans name at Locomotors Andover, but the name of said conversion was called the “NIGHTRIDER” I did a few over the years on early day cab trade-ins.
Remember puting one on a Atkinson after the cheap one the oporator had fitted fell off overnight in the docks in London, the driver had the shock of his life ending up on the catwalk, had many a chuckle about that over the years,
Harvey

HRS:
Sorry JD, can not remember the salesmans name at Locomotors Andover, but the name of said conversion was called the “NIGHTRIDER” I did a few over the years on early day cab trade-ins.
Remember puting one on a Atkinson after the cheap one the oporator had fitted fell off overnight in the docks in London, the driver had the shock of his life ending up on the catwalk, had many a chuckle about that over the years,
Harvey

roolechat:

HRS:
Harvey

Well done roolechat, where on earth did you find that ■■
Problem with the Nightrider was they just cut off the rear of the cab, put in a spacer and welded the back on again so with the short wheel bases and the long pins on trailers you could get into problems so you needed to know what you were going to pick up. The 6x2 taglifts could handle most trailers, complicated days eh !! Harvey

Got a batch of photos sent by my French buddy, which included this one of one of Whitchards F86’s don’t know if its been on before, but its a nice pic of a typical 70’s outfit.

Fergie47:
Got a batch of photos sent by my French buddy, which included this one of one of Whitchards F86’s don’t know if its been on before, but its a nice pic of a typical 70’s outfit.

A Merc and a Bedford KM, hope the driver remembers to take the chains off before he gets that flat rack lifted!

Fergie47:

Not only is it a typical 70’s oufit (dunnage stowed within landing leg brackets !) but it was operated by a company that was heavily involved in an industry which changed beyond recognition - livestock & agriculture, hence the need to diversify into other traffics.
E E Witchard Ltd were based at The Dean, New Alresford .Mr E E Witchard was a farmer who,in 1929, bought a vehicle to move his own cattle & then steadily grew his business to meet the needs of the farming community. By the late 50’s the fleet comprised of Morris Commercials ,Seddons & even 2 ERF’s ex BRS on Special ‘A’ licenses. 7 ‘C’ licences were held enabling Witchards to carry their own stock & farming products ,but the majority of the fleet were on ‘B’ licences - “livestock anywhere,other goods within a radius of 30 miles”
All the vehicles were flatbodied, the majority with detachable livestock bodies. In the 60’s,the majority of the fleet were Seddon & by the 70’s, Volvo & Seddon Atkinson.

roolechat:

Fergie47:

Not only is it a typical 70’s oufit (dunnage stowed within landing leg brackets !) but it was operated by a company that was heavily involved in an industry which changed beyond recognition - livestock & agriculture, hence the need to diversify into other traffics.
E E Witchard Ltd were based at The Dean, New Alresford .Mr E E Witchard was a farmer who,in 1929, bought a vehicle to move his own cattle & then steadily grew his business to meet the needs of the farming community. By the late 50’s the fleet comprised of Morris Commercials ,Seddons & even 2 ERF’s ex BRS on Special ‘A’ licenses. 7 ‘C’ licences were held enabling Witchards to carry their own stock & farming products ,but the majority of the fleet were on ‘B’ licences - “livestock anywhere,other goods within a radius of 30 miles”
All the vehicles were flatbodied, the majority with detachable livestock bodies. In the 60’s,the majority of the fleet were Seddon & by the 70’s, Volvo & Seddon Atkinson.2

Thank you, excellent info…I knew of them as a Southampton lad, but didn’t know the history…

Surprise 70th birthday bash for Mr. Richard Evans
Thank you for asking me to attend, a priviledge.

Sorry Richard to have missed your birthday do as had all intentions of attending (with the Boss) but unfortunately Stevens wife had to have her appendix out so me and the Boss had to attend to grand children as you do in emergencies, trust you had a spiffing time regards from us both to you and your good Lady, remember wine improves with age, Buzzer.

Gazza, good to see you again on Saturday. Must be 30 summers, or thereabouts. The girls are still laughing at the Homer Simpson moment during our exchange of pleasantries when you arrived. Laugh or what. Richard, a pleasure to share the day with you and everyone there. As that other well known long distance king would say: “live long and prosper”.

Hi all, what a great afternoon enjoyed helping Mr Evans celebrate his birthday. :smiley:

Hi all, it seems some things never change

Hi all, poor Angela has had to put up with him for year :unamused: Gerbil’s wife