Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Gerbil if you get board like Mappo is but wont admit it you could give Horry a ring for a change over or six that’s if you aint forgot how to do it Buzzer.

HRS:

Dallan:

Dallan:
Robert Armstrong ex driver based in Southampton from 1973 until emigrating to Aus in 1979

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Dallan,
Great pic of the your F89, like a lot of posts on this site it brings back happy memories, only one at Princes who could put that rig back into the workshop besides you and I was definatly not the one, but I did like a wee drop of the moonshine at Christmas. trust you are well ? Harvey

Forgot to ask !!! quite normal, Whatever happened to Harry the hat ■■?

Harry the Hat passed away some years ago Harvey. Monty probably knows chapter and verse.

XTC in the photo, did that morph into the prince’s wrecker?

gazzer:
Harry the Hat passed away some years ago Harvey. Monty probably knows chapter and verse.

I think it did mate.
After the old Militant (yellow) we cut and extended an old Armstrong unit (4x2) remember! but with the Harvey frost crane being a little to heavy we later used the 6x2.
If you told VOSA we simply cut through a chassis while on axle stands, coupled up the correct size prop shaft and then welded into the chassis gap the new piece of frame, with a few flitching pieces they might not be very happy today, worked well though.
Trust you are well mate, Harvey

gazzer:

XTC was my old truck pictured in Hungary.In 1979 was replaced with a F12 unit which later became Princes Wrecker.

Wrecker pushing up a Barbour dead 290.

Barbour 2.JPG

gazzer:
Wrecker pushing up a Barbour dead 290.

F12 it was then.
Can you imagine a JD driver getting away with leaving a door open… bet that was Rick Walters driving the wrecker.
Cheers, Harvey

Looks to me like they had a bit of problem there is not the front wheel off the ramp ■■

Dispatcher: The F88 290 belonged to Barbour European. It was diagnosed with the “290” engine fault of water loss from the liners and up between the heads. A recognised repair by VOLVO to which they would pay a contribution depending on age and mileage. Mr. Drunken Stupour did not want us (Prince’s) to do the work and insisted they recover the vehicle back to Stirling.

Easy job, push the dead 290 up the ramp with the wrecker, Rick Waters assumed the responsibility (correct Harvey).
As the wrecker reached the crest of the ramp the front axle slid on the flat’s bed, pushing it off the side. Lucky escape there. We called a local crane hire company (Kings IIRC) round the back of us and in short order lifted it back on!

Used to make me laugh when in G.J.Coopers office who did customs clearance in Portsmouth for Barbour’s when you could hardly understand the drivers when they were talking to each other but some could speak perfect French and you would not know they were Scottish at all, and of course they did like a wee dram or three as well, Buzzer.

HRS:

gazzer:

I think it did mate.
After the old Militant (yellow) we cut and extended an old Armstrong unit (4x2) remember! but with the Harvey frost crane being a little to heavy we later used the 6x2.
If you told VOSA we simply cut through a chassis while on axle stands, coupled up the correct size prop shaft and then welded into the chassis gap the new piece of frame, with a few flitching pieces they might not be very happy today, worked well though.

Princes.jpg

roolechat:

HRS:

gazzer:

I think it did mate.

Great memories of the cafe across the road from
Princes good greasy breakie

Fergie47:

DEANB:
Shamara transport.

Anyone know if Tony KImber still owns it, and the 8 wheel Crusader ?..

xup2 real.jpg

ainacs:
Also spotted these courtesy of twolamps on the Scrapbook thread

Interesting story of ■■■■ Hampton’s Scania 110 6X4 unit

He wrote my boss ken harvey was telling me the scania VAA740H was bought by rf interport from a daf dealer at waford. him and pete kellett brought it up to leigh were it was fitted with sand tyres driven to felixstowe and shipped to saudi arabia, were it worked for interports depot out there. the connecting prop between the double drive failed and caused alot of damage, the driver got it back and it was topped on flat trailer and brought back to the uk were a double bogie from a guy big j was grafted on to it. they sorted the props out made them fit, and then it had the passenger seat taken out curtains put up and then driven back out to middle east overland were it continued to work. rgds twolamps

Followed by this Jameson Europa pic

Then followed by this SCA (who I believe had a Southampton depot) pic

Buzzer:
Not actually on face book just look in, Buzzer.

Oops no wonder i could not find it , it was on p2

roolechat:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Hi Roolechat,
My god, that picture brings back a few memories, thanks.
A little while ago I mentioned the “Scammell Scarob” think I have the spelling right"
Well here she is in her BRS livery, can you picture yourself gliding through the snow going over the Cenis, ok, ok, you would need a bolt on sleeper but I remember a company in Andover who would do that for you.!!!

HRS:

roolechat:

roolechat:

Hi Roolechat,
My god, that picture brings back a few memories, thanks.
A little while ago I mentioned the “Scammell Scarob” think I have the spelling right"
Well here she is in her BRS livery, can you picture yourself gliding through the snow going over the Cenis, ok, ok, you would need a bolt on sleeper but I remember a company in Andover who would do that for you.!!!

LOCOMOTORS, do I get the prize HRS, cheers Buzzer.