Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Baldrick1953:

charlie one:
Balders.
What a wonderful way with words you have

Some good pictures there. Hope you’re well and enjoying

The clement weather. I have been invited to come over with Richard

and Angie.Also Mappo and Jimski want to come. Hope that is OK with

you? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

No problem Charlie.

You’ll be fine in with Dylan the Donkey… :laughing:

Sounds like a plan In my time I have slept with a few dogs A pig or two

And the odd hyena. Dylan sounds good to me.Does he snore?

Hope all is well with you and yours. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

BFC (Barry’s Flying Circus) were at Chestnut Avenue, Eastleigh, roughly where Alldays (One Stop) warehouse is now behind what was the Carrefour (now ASDA) hypermarket and what was a bit of rough ground/yard.

Euro PSL in Portsmouth was a reputable company, I subbed for them, always paid on time .
Bob Garnett was my manager, along with Richard Peacock, Heather and Steve .
Andy Garcia ,Portuguese, he still works for them at Maldon .
Silver trailers, groupage to Spain,Portugal and Gibraltar .
I remember STS, box van trailers, and Compton transport, good bunch of lads .
Did electrical goods to Greece and Italy .
Clearing Customs at Alverca in Lisbon by the huge river that stank of sewage, made drivers ill with mosquitoes biting .
TER Tir in Porto, weekend at the Atlantico restaurant on the beach .
South African couple ran it.
Bus to Porto to look around .
Alan Jerrom from Interoute.
I knew John Nicholls, heart attack ,went through the barriers Portugal, smart Volvo F12 in blue .
British International drivers, Tim Allen the boss .
Grant who liked Bacardi and Coke and gambling machines.
Stevie Holland and Ian on R and G ltd.

Geez Harve, your asking something. Gordon Crittel on the left (Prince’s) and 2nd in from the right back row John Cooper of Robert Armstrong (still going strong so Monty says).

gazzer:
Geez Harve, your asking something. Gordon Crittel on the left (Prince’s) and 2nd in from the right back row John Cooper of Robert Armstrong (still going strong so Monty says).

John Cooper was a fitter at ■■■■ Hamptons when I was there in 64.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

And a nice man too Charlie.

I think thats Eric Pettit back row in the middle now I’ve looked a bit closer.

Back 1 to 6 Middle 7 to 15 Front 16 to 23.
All I can remember.
B 1 Chris Sharpe ( volvo ) our rep.
3 Eric Pettit ( Princes )
4 Curley Haskell E J Thomas Lashamm Alton
5 Mike Thomas ------------- "--------------------
M 7 Gordon Crittel ( Princes )
9 Roy Barnett (RIP) MMD Pompy
11 Harry Perry Wareham TPt
13 HRS
14 John Cooper Robert Armstrongs
15 Gerald Ferguson Redland Brick
F 23 David King (RIP) Amesbury TPt
Would be good if anyone can pick out the others, my brain has gone. Harvey

Hi All
I know 1 18 or front 3 is Robin Colenso hope the spelling is correct owner of Eurohaul and he has never changed last time I saw him.

Cheers Rich

Bump

Bump

February. The month of Valentines Day…

Anxious not to repeat last years Faux Pas , when the whole thing passed me by and I ended up in the dog house on short rations, I’ve been racking my brains for a suitable present for the lovely and long suffering Susan.

I couldn’t believe it when this ad popped out at me from the " Tralee Times " …

Perfect or what? Redemption is mine and all those extra Brownie Points as well when she realises what a thoughtful , intuitive man I am. The Wyncyette nightie and knitted bed socks will be a thing of the past :slight_smile:

Sparkly on ice already and can’t wait for the 14th.

Shall I order one for Rose , Charlie?

Baldrick1953:
February. The month of Valentines Day…

Anxious not to repeat last years Faux Pas , when the whole thing passed me by and I ended up in the dog house on short rations, I’ve been racking my brains for a suitable present for the lovely and long suffering Susan.

I couldn’t believe it when this ad popped out at me from the " Tralee Times " …

Perfect or what? Redemption is mine and all those extra Brownie Points as well when she realises what a thoughtful , intuitive man I am. The Wyncyette nightie and knitted bed socks will be a thing of the past :slight_smile:

Sparkly on ice already and can’t wait for the 14th.

Shall I order one for Rose , Charlie?

You know how to spoil a women eh…would you like me to book you a spare room, starting the evening of the 14 th, after you come out of hospital

Well it is the weekend and will make Charlie jealous and I had run out of whole milk to make the porridge, Buzzer.

Well Balders. Please reserve me one. It’s what Rose has always wanted. I’ll pay by DKV. It’s still valid.

Buzzer.That has always been me favourite breakfast you know how to torture an old man!

Beats me John how you get it all to stay on the table.
Love the Mammoth Major post, oh for a big shed and being single. Harvey

Lazy sunday evening flicking thru the channels, came across this Jamesons truck on an episode of the Persauders, 1971 ish, not sure who the driver would have been?
supposed to be on a french frontier, more likely filmed at Boreham wood studios or the new M3. I expect the late Bob Walker (RIP) would have known…Or even Gover!
Jim T

20170205_201135.jpg

richardggeary:

Buzzer:
Went to school at Bartley with Barry Squibb he was a year younger than me, also the old man, both were into auto cross and Barry was very good at it with Jim fettling the motors all the time. Remember he used to change all the shells in an F88 every year as precaution against any thing going wrong, also did engine oil changes more than regular and asked him why, he replied oil is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.
Kenny Batten’s name I also remember think he lived in Nomansland near Landford, when I was riding me bike near there parked up was an old round cabbed AEC in a layby and he drove that for Jim, this was early 60’s . They had a workshop at Bartley next to an old sawmill and when at school used to often see his trailers parked on the main road to Totton where they straightened out the road near the old radio mast and also the café there. Jim was into International well early, they also had a yard at one time on Hursley road, in the old Landrover place owned by Ken Piper, then also in Eastleigh they had a couple of adjoining units, Mappo will remember that. Norma was in the office think she was a tad older than Barry and there was another woman her name escapes me always had a ■■■ on the go think she did accounts someone will remember her name. Never thought when at school seeing those trailers I would end up doing the same job a few years later.

On another note does any one remember Terry Winter From Fritham, he had a 4 wheeled AEC flat sleeper cab with a box body that fitted on it, used to do antiques to Italy, later he bought a brand new F88 from Princes, colour was light blue. When no international the four wheeler had its box lifted and they did mining chock’s to the coal fields loading around the New Forest, that’s when we still had coal mines. Buzzer.

Jim and Barry used to race Rallycross in the early 80s. Here is a picture of both from those days, Barry 161, and reversed the magnetic plate for Jim 191. I used to pay for some tyres as R&G Maritime Agencies Ltd as we did their Customs Clearances back in the day, and you can just make out our name on Barry’s car, on the side under rear window. Barry went on to do European Rallycross at a high lveel, and now races at Castle Coombe in a Mitsibushi Evo and hold the lap record their I think, and has a grage in Exeter.

It must be remembered that Jim was a professional Speedway Rider for many years, starting in Southampton in 1947 and appearing for many clubs, nationwide before finishing in 1975. It was during this time that I knew him, not the first 12 years, but through the '60’s & '70’s. He is on record as being the oldest rider to have ridden competitively in the uk, retiring at 55 years old. In a recent survey he was deemed to have ridden on the most tracks all over Britain (about 69) so he didn’t do it half heartedly, considering he was running his Haulage business for a lot of this time. Barry was still at school when I was on the Speedway scene, but he seemed to be at a lot of meetings through the years, spannering for Jim, so I don’t know what his school attendance record was like :laughing:
I was told by a mutual friend that Jim had past away in a nursing home in Devon in 2004, and when doing a bit of research found a Barry Squibb as running an hotel in that area. When I looked a year or so later, with the intention of maybe looking him up, it appeared to have changed hands, so was never sure it was the same one. Jim spent several seasons riding for the Exeter “Falcons” team, so it makes sense that they could have moved there.

squibby action.jpg

scotia1000:
Lazy sunday evening flicking thru the channels, came across this Jamesons truck on an episode of the Persauders, 1971 ish, not sure who the driver would have been?
supposed to be on a french frontier, more likely filmed at Boreham wood studios or the new M3. I expect the late Bob Walker (RIP) would have known…Or even Gover!
Jim T

Good find there Jim, thanks for sharing…

Barry Squibb whom I went to school with at Bartley near Cadnam that is when he was in attendance as you mentioned, Jim ran transport back then from an old wood yard in Bartley and his trailers were often parked in a layby near the old radio mast and café on the Totton road. Barry was a couple of years younger than me so would be about 65ish now, he did run a hotel in the west country but last I heard had a garage in Exeter which does not surprise me with his racing background and love of competitive racing. Jim did a lot of maintenance on all there trucks and always remember him telling me he changed the bearing shells on the one F88 they ran when I was there every year and also changed the oil more regular than recommended as he said oil was cheaper than engines. As a boy I remember a round cabbed AEC driven by a Mr Ken Batten from Nomansland and he parked on the side of a forest road back then but would not be safe or allowed today. By the way this is how I met Mappo who was driving for Squibb’s or Transport Services at the time and later he drove for us, he was a bit of a moaner but did a good job so cant complain too much, retarded now just on here and watching telly with occasional trips out with matron for a fried breakfast with some of the old boys, lots of memories of the past which we all think were the best days in the job, definitely Mary Hopkins era, Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer

Re Mappo.Yes he is or was a bit of a moaner. However since he had

a run in with the Fashion Police over his sandals and odd socks,he

Has gone downhill.He only goes out with two guards (carers) and a big

hanky to stop him dribbling.

My claim to fame is way back when I moved to Hayling Island

I was walking past the local Bingo hall and I heard a voice saying Two

Fat ladies Sixty one. Yes it was the famous TIR Tone. A legend in his own

breakfast Time.