Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Gazzer.

Would that be Mick Leach who at one time was on Springroad?
I lived in Sholing for a while and I’d occasionally see his unit parked nearby off of Butts Road…
That would’ve been around '76 / '77 …
I remember it had snow chains hanging off the back. Very impressive to a young fella like meself just starting out :open_mouth: :laughing:

He must be knocking on a bit now… Like all of us I guess.

My late Mother in Law’s family company
regards
Jeremy

Baldrick1953: Yes that’s the man. Yes he is of or very near to retirement. His last own truck was a yellow Scania. He obviously had some good customers that Chappel recompensed him for handsomely!

Badger: Posh heritage there Jeremy!

DISPATCHER:
Hi John
I dont know i will have to ask Mark when i next see him, I noticed no eggs on the shelf when I last went the cafe last week, you’l
have to squeese the hens a bit harder.

Disaster on the egg front chicken all moulted and feathers everywhere Chris, got 20 POL before Christmas which are now laying and another 40 last week so normal service will resume soon I hope, it pays for me horses shoes, Cheers Buzzer.

Fergie47:
Mont Cenis…French / Italian border 1904 …I’ll leave someone else to do the " I think I spotted Mappo"

I was gonna ask if you took the photo Dave… :unamused: :laughing:

mappo:

Fergie47:
Mont Cenis…French / Italian border 1904 …I’ll leave someone else to do the " I think I spotted Mappo"

I was gonna ask if you took the photo Dave… :unamused: :laughing:

I did Tone, that first trip I did with you, when I was on school holidays… :unamused:

15940566_10154515438423962_789874956965944479_n.jpg
Thames Trader & Albion
Taken from Romsey Revisited on Face
regards
Jeremy

Badger seeing that A.Ward truck in your picture sparked the old memory cells, there used to be a company based in Romsey by that name, then after that Buddens coaches had the site then it made way for Waterose supermarket for there carpark, my mate Ian Vine ran it with his wife, think it was his granddads before he had a go, they had a couple of GUY Big J’s on tomatoes out of Weymouth plus other work and also later a six wheeled Leyland working on Mackpack boxes for Jack Feccitt. that was from the quay where P&O and Townsend Thoreson shipped from, my father in law was a docker there but they mostly only drank tea. I did them boxes out of there as well as Bob Cartwright.
Ian later became a pig farmer at Shootash and then a farrier and now is a beef farmer in West Tytherly but still puts iron on a few hooves to pay the butcher, cheers Buzzer

PS. was this the same A,Ward do you think.

Jack Faccitt, nice chap, used to drink in the “Kings Head” at Redlynch.
Q: who remembers H E L transport, Hilton, Emery and Lane, I know Ken Lane moved to Spain but what about Tony Hilton and Les Emery.
Never hear of them on this thread. Harvey

Buzzer:
Badger seeing that A.Ward truck in your picture sparked the old memory cells, there used to be a company based in Romsey by that name, then after that Buddens coaches had the site then it made way for Waterose supermarket for there carpark, my mate Ian Vine ran it with his wife, think it was his granddads before he had a go, they had a couple of GUY Big J’s on tomatoes out of Weymouth plus other work and also later a six wheeled Leyland working on Mackpack boxes for Jack Feccitt. that was from the quay where P&O and Townsend Thoreson shipped from, my father in law was a docker there but they mostly only drank tea. I did them boxes out of there as well as Bob Cartwright.
Ian later became a pig farmer at Shootash and then a farrier and now is a beef farmer in West Tytherly but still puts iron on a few hooves to pay the butcher, cheers Buzzer

PS. was this the same A,Ward do you think.

Yes I,m sure it is Buzzer their yard also used to be where the Edwina Mountbatten home is across from the old Manor house where he used to live.My brother Melvyn{RIP} used to drive for him back in the 60s they used to do macpak boxes a regular job was enamel pots and pans to St Pancrus for woolworths they also did a fair bit of animal feed for Bibbys of Banbury.They had a couple of Commers in them days.I think Ian Whitlock and a guy called Eddie with a withered hand drove for them.Eddie tried to go under the Sun arch in Romsey with a 20 ft box on a flat bed it hit the bridge came of and landed on a car killing the occupant no twist locks in them days. Regards Todd

HRS:
Q: who remembers H E L transport, Hilton, Emery and Lane, I know Ken Lane moved to Spain but what about Tony Hilton and Les Emery.

Harvey he bloody well should drink in the Kings Head he ran the place, he also had a couple of subbies who lived there, John Compton was one cant think of the other guys name but he had real long sideboards. Buzzer.

HRS:

i recently hired a one way to Spain van from Ken Lane at whiteparish to move some kit to Alicante as Ken owns J-hire hiring vans out and has another depot just south of Murcia. I believe he spends time between here and Spain now. I knew of him but had never met him until then but seems a genuine old school decent bloke and the van hire is really handy being one way.

I think Tony Hilton returned to Ireland.

John the other chaps name was Chris Whitmash, lived in Downton, bought a used 88 290 from me, after a few years he sold up and took a petrol station.
Only one name left, Les Emery, worked for Aundray Calfon ( if i have spelt that right) in the early 70’s.

HRS:
John the other chaps name was Chris Whitmash, lived in Downton, bought a used 88 290 from me, after a few years he sold up and took a petrol station.
Only one name left, Les Emery, worked for Aundray Calfon ( if i have spelt that right) in the early 70’s.

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are well, Les Emery is working with John Ward ex Mammoth/ Buckfast,for PMP the container company based at Fareham. I always thought that his Grandfather owned the Ward company from Romsey in the earlier pic,incidently on E Bay last year that vehicle or another of Wards of Romsey just like it was for sale.

I think Bill Darke, the truck insurance man !! ran Jack’s pub at Lover/Red Lynch for him at one time.
I remember Chris Whitmarsh, and his Volvo and the time he had a fall out with one of his girlfriends and she smashed the headlamps on his Zodiac whilst he was in the pub :blush:

Happy Days !

Regards
Richard

Harvey well done remembering Mr Whitmarsh just could not get the grey cells to work, I knew his brother well as he was into motorbikes the same time as me.

Bloody hell Richard I wouldn’t let Bill Darke run anything for me, once paid up an annual green card for the one truck I had to him, £3100 was the premium for Norwich Union then he went ■■■■ up we out paying them but fair play to them they knew I had paid him and they honoured the years green card, cheers Buzzer.

Richard, I am well thanks, Chris was a very generous man with his effections, you could tell by the depth of the wheel ruts in the grass at the back of the brick barn.
That might explain why i only saw Jack my side of the bar.
Long time Richard, hope you are well. Harvey

Hello Southampton lads. At the end of February, I shall be visiting Mojacar
in Spain, in my capacity as a Senior Inspector of A.R.S.E., also known as
Alcohol Related Scrutineer Executive. Of course I will be in disguise,
but I will not be hiring the disguise clobber off Mappo this time,
his hire charges are “Highway Robbery”,and I thought ■■■■ Turnip was dead.
I will probably wear my " Portsmouth FC" replica footy shirt, shorts and sandals,
but no black socks, I don’t want the bar owners hoping that Mappo has returned
to settle an outstanding bar tab. The products of Estrella, Cruzcampo, Mahou,
and San Miguel will be tested for taste and quality. I will take with me my old
hydrometer to test the specific gravity of the beers. I will give it a good rinse
out before I go, just to get rid of any battery acid flavour.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Mikey, thanks for the info,
Ref Ken Lane, did you know he was a very big name in grass track with a side-car motor bike.
Last time i saw Tony Hilton he had a plant business on Nursling industrial estate, about 96.
Cheers, Harvey

HRS:
Mikey, thanks for the info,
Ref Ken Lane, did you know he was a very big name in grass track with a side-car motor bike.
Last time i saw Tony Hilton he had a plant business on Nursling industrial estate, about 96.
Cheers, Harvey

HRS, yes mate. I did’nt know but whilst in Kens office I noticed photo’s etc relevent to bike racing and having a bike myself and also being HGV positive we spent a long time talking bikes & haulage before actaully getting the van and getting on my way. I guess the money must stack up right but the one way hire Ken has is a bargain if any one has to get kit to spain just one way as long as you get a reasonble flight home but cheaper than driving an empty van home plus ferry.

I did a year on Hiltons very very early 90’s when I needed to be local (baby arriving and Ray Lambert would’nt let me be local for 2 weeks) and he had just got 2 x 8 wheeler/hiabs so was delivering blocks but he was mainly tippers back then and first met Mick Leach there so it’s all never ending circles with names on this site.

thanks

How many can you recognize,■■?
Top Middle Bottom starting T1 T2 etc.
Pic taken about 1980 ish is a group of customers on a facory visit to see the new F10.17.plant.
Good luck.

PS Gazzer you should do well.