Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

MaggieD:

mappo:

Horry:
Mappo never let me go with him as a lad in case I disrupted the Karma of his sheepskin seat covers :smiley:

Only joshing TIR, you are an Icon within the history of the company - When I get round to writing a book on us, I can either dedicate it to you or do a chapter on you - you decide! :wink:

I,ve only just spotted this post,dunno how. I missed it… :unamused: :unamused:
I was just wondering Horry, if I could have an advance on my royalties from your forthcoming
multi million selling book.
I don’t expect it in a lump sum, maybe just a few grand a month would do for now. ( cash naturally )
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Tone,

I think Horry is calling his book “The Half Marathon” because I saw somewhere he was Reading the Half Marathon so he must have finished it :unamused:

John I’ve read Chris Nicholls book not a mention of Lorraines so it’s no good Horry buying it. I am acting on your behalf as regards the F89 which was owned by a Mr. David Phillips,I intend to travel to France to issue the summons in person,Bewick might not get his Brie and Vin in time for Christmas.

Regards
Richard

Richard good morning. Yes no good me reading it if no mention of Lorraine’s. Yes can remember Chris Nicholls but not to speak to. If it’s the same person, he had 2 brown 88’s then had 1 merc on for Dual Carriage and he had a Mini pick up. All so different down there now, I walk through Andersons road with my daughter every saints game. Looks so small now. Our old place is a day care centre / cresch for kids. All they had to do was take our old sign down and it was ready to go!

Take care, H

Horry:
TIR seasons greetings. Really good news you got your car licence back.
I do recall you driving G963 BRE for Denny as well prior to it being chopped
In for M40 DEN. God I used to hate having to Autosol his tanks every time after
I washed it. I’m sure as well you used to drive the cargo Saturday morning for him
Delivering nutty slack and logs and such. Good old Fred scuttle!

Thanks for donation, really appreciate it. Hopefully see you before Xmas, keep smiling,

Horry…with you and your dad between yer, I,m starting to doubt myself… :open_mouth: :unamused:
I have NEVER driven any vehicle for Den, other than M40 DEN…I think.
Seriously, never did…after me and Den parted company, I think Spesh ( luv u long time )
from the I.O.W. drove M40…don’t know who drove the Daf, but it Deffo wasn,t me… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I was working elsewhere at the time Den had that.

Horry:
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it is a busy time of year both at work and home. Last month I took part in the Bupa Great South Run. Most of you will know this was my first experience of long distance road running. It was a great day which I will never forget, ■■■■■■ ran it for the fifth year in a row and all our lot were there to support me. Experiencing it gave me a great deal of motivation (even for a Saints fan running round Pompy!!)

This coming March I am taking part in the Reading half marathon to raise money and awareness for a charity called MACS which supports children who are born blind. Please help to support this cause by following my journey to Reading on my fundraising page, the full story can be found there.

uk.virginmoneygiving.com/horryrunningwithmacs

I will be posting regular updates and pictures on the page of how it’s going all the way up until the big day.

I really do appreciate the support of you old Southampton boys and thanks so much for your time.

See you soon, Horry :wink:

mappo:

Horry:
I washed it. I’m sure as well you used to drive the cargo Saturday morning for him

Thanks for donation, really appreciate it. Hopefully see you before Xmas, keep smiling,

TIR yes Reader took it on (M40) after that memorable Sunday night in the yard. G963 was the right hand drive globetrotter
You have put pics of you on trucknet reversing it onto a Brittany boat, these were the pics on sale in the bar which always disappeared at bed time!

Horry…with you and your dad between yer, I,m starting to doubt myself… :open_mouth: :unamused:
Seriously, never did…after me and Den parted company, I think Spesh ( luv u long time )
from the I.O.W. drove M40…don’t know who drove the Daf, but it Deffo wasn,t me… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Horry:

mappo:

Horry:

TIR yes Reader took it on (M40) after that memorable Sunday night in the yard. G963 was the right hand drive globetrotter
You have put pics of you on trucknet reversing it onto a Brittany boat, these were the pics on sale in the bar which always disappeared at bed time!

Horry, maybe, just maybe I owe you and Buzzer an apology.
I could have sworn that when I drove G963 it was Davies owned.
I must confess that my memory IS becoming a serious worry… :unamused: :unamused:
Here,s a reminder of the aforementioned vehicle…

mappo:
Horry, maybe, just maybe I owe you and Buzzer an apology.
I could have sworn that when I drove G963 it was Davies owned.
I must confess that my memory IS becoming a serious worry… :unamused: :unamused:
Here,s a reminder of the aforementioned vehicle…

Don’t be daft Tone!

Another clue is the windscreen drivers side.
Denny always put a vehicle exemption pass
For the Itchen bridge in his motor. Gawd knows why!!

Charlie, Jeremy thanks so much, really appreciate your kind support.

Regards, H

Hi Tony that pic with the fella dieseling up?? I think I know him, if memory serves ain’t it umm, umm, blimey it’s gone :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:
Jimmer

Ha ha, Hi Jimmer, yeh I used to know him as well but I heard he
turned into a right fat Bar steward… :laughing: :laughing:

Just about to drop off the page… :blush:

Topping up a catwalk diesel tank…thats an old a thing as the bloke hisself!

gazzer:

Sortof Southampton related and likewise sortof fuel tank related, about 30 years ago I did a few days agency work for GoPlant at Chandlers Ford collecting and delivering road sweepers from customers for annual plating tests and on one journey I had to stop, tip the cab, and clean the fuel sediment bowl several times as the council driver I collected from had filled the fuel tank with water and although he had realised his mistake and syphoned (most of) the water out it still left enough in to cause problems. The water tank (for the sweeper) and the diesel tank look similar and, as I recall, were not labelled so I guess an easy enough mistake to make for the unfamilular. When I got back to the GoPlant yard at Chandlers Ford they added 4 hours to my time sheet for not calling out the fitter to Cambridge to fix the problem, you could drive them from either side but there was only one set of dash instriments (on theLH side) so in road use I was better to drive as a LHD.

Borrowed a Bomag roller once and filled the water tank with cherry(doh) wondered why it took so long to fill her up, Buzzer.

gazzer:

Thanks for that Gazzer, I don’t need reminding, I,m definitely starting to feel my age now… :cry: :cry:
I,ve just been signed off sick for another month…That,ll make it 3 months.
Got a feeling I won’t be going back to work.

mappo:

gazzer:

Thanks for that Gazzer, I don’t need reminding, I,m definitely starting to feel my age now… :cry: :cry:
I,ve just been signed off sick for another month…That,ll make it 3 months.
Got a feeling I won’t be going back to work.

Tone you talking diesel tanks, do you remember that mush on Chingford who had that Foden “blackcat” he had pallet carrier tanks which consisted of four 45 gallon barrels strapped in, but one day he let the trailer down on a Spannish loading bay to load oranges and the barrels fractured and the cherry ran free, he got banned and Chingford from that packhouse what some blokes did to make an extra bob eh, Buzzer.

Buzzer
You talk of the "black cat " Fodens , didnt Ralph Davis have one , I recall someone being killed in one near Salamanca and the word on the street at the time was it was one of Ralph,s drivers.

Buzzer…I vaguely remember the black Foden, but I wasn,t aware
of its fuel drums on the trailer…thinking about it though, Chingfords did have some
dodgy characters pulling for em…not all I hasten to add, can’t tar everyone
with the same brush.

Kerbut…hello mate, I know you didn,t address the question to me, and I,m
not saying you,re wrong, but I don’t remember Ralph having a Foden.

That’s obviously not me and you Tone…oh and 'Er as well!

Errrr no Gazzer…as if… :unamused: :unamused:

Here,s a great photo that Richard Green sent me ages ago of his Scannie.