Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Kenb:

Ray Smyth:
Looking down Water Street in Liverpool in the late 1950s. Some interesting vehicles, including an Austin Taxi, a rigid flat lorry with a sheeted load, heading to the docks, also carrying what looks like a punctured tyre & wheel. The AEC Mk3 Regent is on route 73 to Woolton, and the BRS Parcels Scammell Scarab artic, parked on the bus stop. The tram lines are still in place, but the overhead electric cables have gone.
Ray Smyth.

Interesting picture for me. The street where I started work in 1963 - immediately on the left National Provincial Bank which merged with Westminster Bank to become Nat West. In the distance you can see the overhead railway - which had gone by 1963
Very interesting - thank you
Ken b

One carriage and one section of the Overhead Railway ‘bridge’ were recovered for retention during the demolition.
They were stored for a long time in the Liverpool Museum’s large exhibit store. With the recent construction of the new Museum of Liverpool
on the waterfront, (at the end of Mann Island), they had an ideal place to create a display using the restored carriage and overhead bridge.

Two photographs taken during a visit to the Museum earlier this month:

TROOPER2:

Kenb:

Ray Smyth:
Looking down Water Street in Liverpool in the late 1950s. Some interesting vehicles, including an Austin Taxi, a rigid flat lorry with a sheeted load, heading to the docks, also carrying what looks like a punctured tyre & wheel. The AEC Mk3 Regent is on route 73 to Woolton, and the BRS Parcels Scammell Scarab artic, parked on the bus stop. The tram lines are still in place, but the overhead electric cables have gone.
Ray Smyth.

Interesting picture for me. The street where I started work in 1963 - immediately on the left National Provincial Bank which merged with Westminster Bank to become Nat West. In the distance you can see the overhead railway - which had gone by 1963
Very interesting - thank you
Ken b

One carriage and one section of the Overhead Railway ‘bridge’ were recovered for retention during the demolition.
They were stored for a long time in the Liverpool Museum’s large exhibit store. With the recent construction of the new Museum of Liverpool
on the waterfront, (at the end of Mann Island), they had an ideal place to create a display using the restored carriage and overhead bridge.

Two photographs taken during a visit earlier this month:

Great pictures Geoff, The location couldn’t be much closer to where the Overhead Railway operated. Cheers, Ray.

The Liverpool Overhead Railway was also depicted on one of a series of double-sized beer mats
which were issued by Cains Brewery of Liverpool some years ago:

ZZ0037.JPG

Fridgelink F88 from Liverpool.

DEANB:

DeanB
Have you got anymore photos of Fridgelink motors my Dad worked for the based in Kirby Ind Est next to Frigo place. Dad drove a AEC (with a sleeper ) first then he got a ERF. Did a lot of work out of Ireland North & South, would be great if you,ve got anymore photos only got 2 that one and 1 of the ERF

coomsey:

Great photo of this classic AEC MM, 1955 reg, Bewick would approve of the sheeted load , Thanks for posting it, Regards Larry.

Boatchaser:

DEANB:

DeanB
Have you got anymore photos of Fridgelink motors my Dad worked for the based in Kirby Ind Est next to Frigo place. Dad drove a AEC (with a sleeper ) first then he got a ERF. Did a lot of work out of Ireland North & South, would be great if you,ve got anymore photos only got 2 that one and 1 of the ERF

Sorry “Boatchaser” only just seen this message. Dont think i have any pics but will have a look ! :wink:

Robertson’s.

liverpool rob1.PNG

liverpool rob.PNG

DEANB:
Robertson’s.

HI DEAN
This brings back good memories of Liverpool including Dock deliveries. Birdseye used to be based on Kirkby industrial estate just off the East lancs Road also home to KRAFT foods, Pendleton’s Ice-cream plant (Twicer),
It was a godsend when the East Lancashire Road was opened early 1960s as it took a lot of traffic off the A57. Mid 1960s I used to deliver bread from Mothers Pride Bakery Skerton Road Old Trafford to Mothers Pride Bakery Long Lane Aintree. RHM had bulk tippers and you would see hundreds of their motors travelling the East Lancs. On the rear was a verse. “This is the wheat that makes the flower that makes the bread, just like Mother used to bake”.
Staying in Liverpool, Ray Smyth will remember the old joke about “how to you get an elephant to speak” answer “transport it along the East Lancs. Road. Speke industry! Was famous for Standard Triumph Now famous Home of Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
Cheers KEV

Pendletons.jpg

Birdseye kirkby 1966.jpg

kevmorrow:

DEANB:
Robertson’s.

HI DEAN
This brings back good memories of Liverpool including Dock deliveries. Birdseye used to be based on Kirkby industrial estate just off the East lancs Road also home to KRAFT foods, Pendleton’s Ice-cream plant (Twicer),
It was a godsend when the East Lancashire Road was opened early 1960s as it took a lot of traffic off the A57. Mid 1960s I used to deliver bread from Mothers Pride Bakery Skerton Road Old Trafford to Mothers Pride Bakery Long Lane Aintree. RHM had bulk tippers and you would see hundreds of their motors travelling the East Lancs. On the rear was a verse. “This is the wheat that makes the flower that makes the bread, just like Mother used to bake”.
Staying in Liverpool, Ray Smyth will remember the old joke about “how to you get an elephant to speak” answer “transport it along the East Lancs. Road. Speke industry! Was famous for Standard Triumph Now famous Home of Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
Cheers KEV

Yes Kev, I remember many jokes and funnies etc from the 1950s/1960s.

"How do you get an elephant to Speke ? "… Catch the 82 bus from the Pier Head.

There was a little girl from Southend,
Who had only threepence to spend
But what could be nicer than Pendletons Twicer
With Lolly and Ice Cream at each end.

This was a TV advert. Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

kevmorrow:

DEANB:
Robertson’s.

HI DEAN
Cheers KEV

Hiya,
When did Yorkshire Imperial Metals move

Hiya,
When did Yorkshire Imperial Metals move away from the East Lancs Road,
I’ve delivered many a load of copper ingots there, one of the few times,
this was one of the few drops where after unroping and taking the sheets
off, the trailer boy and me could sit in the cab until we got tipped.

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:

Great photo of this classic AEC MM, 1955 reg, Bewick would approve of the sheeted load , Thanks for posting it, Regards Larry.

Your dead right there Larry that Lad took a pride in his craft ! I note it has a front tow bar on so I wonder if it pulled a drawbar sometimes ? Cheers Dennis.

harry_gill:

Ray Smyth:

kevmorrow:

DEANB:
Robertson’s.

HI DEAN
Cheers KEV

Hiya,
When did Yorkshire Imperial Metals move

Hiya,
When did Yorkshire Imperial Metals move away from the East Lancs Road,
I’ve delivered many a load of copper ingots there, one of the few times,
this was one of the few drops where after unroping and taking the sheets
off, the trailer boy and me could sit in the cab until we got tipped.

Harry, A new Marstons pub was built on the site of Yorkshire Imperial Metals on the
East Lancashire Road at Kirkby. It has been open for a few years, and is appropriately
called “The Copper Kettle” Regards, Ray.

kevmorrow:

DEANB:
Robertson’s.

HI DEAN
Cheers KEV

That Birds Eye production line pic is a cracker Kev ! :wink:

Heres another one of Robertson’s in Birds Eye livery.

birds eye 68 ppg.PNG

Boatchaser:

DEANB:

DeanB

Heres another one Boatchaser.

1974 fridgelink liverpool pnw.PNG

Hiya,
Do W H Bowker still have a depot/office in Liverpool

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Preston and Hull only now, Zeebrugge was the last to close around 10 years ago.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Yes they have a depot just off charley wood road at Kirkby.

mfm:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Yes they have a depot just off charley wood road at Kirkby.

I stand corrected, I had forgotten that they had taken over Potters Logistics

logisticsmanager.com/bowker … perations/