Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

A British Railways “Brush” Class 47 diesel locomotive passing through one of the dock gates in Liverpool.
I wonder if the “Dock Gate Bobby” searched the drivers cab to see if he had nicked anything from the docks. :wink:
Picture from Bootle History Forum. Ray Smyth.

Geo. Davies & Son Atkinson lorry and drawbar trailer in Liverpool from about 1955.
Its a pity that the driver and his mate were rubbish at sheeting & roping.
Ray Smyth.

Geo Davies TKC 424.jpg

Foden 8 wheel flat of J. Ledwidge Ltd., of Bootle, Liverpool.

TROOPER2:
Albion - 1201ED - E Snaylam & Sons Ltd:

I rather like this little Albion Claymore. The Reg.No., 1201 ED makes me
think that it may have been new to Walkers Brewery in Warrington.
Picture by Geoff Meek.

Regards, Ray.

Albion 1201 ED.jpg

Ray,
A big thank you to yourself and to others who have kept my thread going on this subject.
I have not been on as I would like to due to many reasons as you know Ray.
I hope you can keep it going with some great pics and info.
Thank you all lads.

Ray Smyth:

Thats a lovely pic Ray. Those Fodens were a good looking motor.

Webster Brothers.

liverpool web plpool.PNG

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Webster Brothers.

H Dean, Thank you for the picture of the Mercedes of Webster Brothers. Their lorries usually had “THE BROTHERS”
signwritten on the front of the bodywork as in your picture. It made me think of a TV series called “The Brothers”
which ran from 1972 until 1976, The storyline concerned Hammond Transport, a family run company, where the
original Mr Hammond had passed away, and the firm was then operated by his 3 sons, none of whom were lorry
drivers, they were all “Suits” in the office, who were always falling out among themselves. There was hardly ever
any transport based storylines. Occasionally, one of their lorries would be seen, and from memory they were
Ford D Series artic boxvans. Also, thank you for the R.G.Brown picture on the Wigan thread. Cheers, Ray.

Hammond Transport.jpg

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Webster Brothers.

When I Worked for Great Bear , Websters ( if its the same ) did a lot of work out of Port Sunlight and a couple of yrs into the Levers contact Great Bear bought Websters . As I said not sure if its the same company

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Webster Brothers.

H Dean, Thank you for the picture of the Mercedes of Webster Brothers. Their lorries usually had “THE BROTHERS”
signwritten on the front of the bodywork as in your picture. It made me think of a TV series called “The Brothers”
which ran from 1972 until 1976, The storyline concerned Hammond Transport, a family run company, where the
original Mr Hammond had passed away, and the firm was then operated by his 3 sons, none of whom were lorry
drivers, they were all “Suits” in the office, who were always falling out among themselves. There was hardly ever
any transport based storylines. Occasionally, one of their lorries would be seen, and from memory they were
Ford D Series artic boxvans. Also, thank you for the R.G.Brown picture on the Wigan thread. Cheers, Ray.

I have heard of the TV series “The Brothers” Ray but never saw it. I also never saw this one called “Truckers”

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Webster Brothers.

I have heard of the TV series “The Brothers” Ray but never saw it. I also never saw this one called “Truckers”

Click on pages twice to read.

I,m sure they used Derry Bros ( N.Ireland ) yard , Just off the M62. Think it was off the road between Widnes & St. Helens was it call Marshalls X I,m sure

An interesting scene from Liverpool Docks in the 1960s. A Bedford lorry of William Lucy Transport, a broken handcart,
and a Diesel train carrying a group of railway enthusiasts on a Railtour. The train is preceded by a man with a red flag.

Ray Smyth:
An interesting scene from Liverpool Docks in the 1960s. A Bedford lorry of William Lucy Transport, a broken handcart,
and a Diesel train carrying a group of railway enthusiasts on a Railtour. The train is preceded by a man with a red flag.

Hi Ray
I remember seeing William Lucy Transport early 1960s round bootle area and late 1960s they used to cart packaging into Kraft Kirby. Not sure if they were related to Charlie Lucy Tankers now Abbey?
Regards KEV

Hi Kev, Thank you for your comments. There is a good chance that William Lucy and Charlie Lucy
are connected, because “Lucy” is not at all a common name. Cheers, Ray.

R.W.Almond from Liverpool.

liverpool r.w. almond plpool.PNG

Ray
Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s brings back many fond memories. I was searching on the net for Northwest freighters Haydock as they used to haul out of KRAFT Kirkby and I also worked for KRAFT Trafford Park. I came across this link to Trucknet entitled (Northwest Freighters) but seems to be stuck in limbo and maybe better linked to your thread. I think Northwest Freighters started late 1960s early 1970s. trucknetuk.com/phpBB/galler … ge_id=5545
There is about 6 good photos in the link.
Cheers KEV

Kev, Thanks for your input on this thread, I try to keep it going, the best that I can. It was started
by “Xkopite” Dave from Kirkby in 2008, well done Dave. I imagine that you are more Manchester
connected, rather than Liverpool, so it begs a question…Do you remember James Spencer Transport ?.
I believe their depot was somewhere between Stretford and Manchester, maybe Chester Road or
Stretford Road, in the area where Duerrs had a jam factory. The reason I ask about James Spencer is
that they had a small depot at Tram Street in the Platt Bridge area of Wigan, with about 8 or 10
rigid flatbed lorries, some of them were ex Guinness Albions, and their main source of work was from
H.J.Heinz at Kitt Green, Wigan, doing multiple drops, mainly to grocers shops and wholesalers.
Spencers depot building and yard was formerly a tram depot, hence the address Tram Street.

Best Regards, Ray.

Another picture from July 18th 1934, the day that King George V and Queen Mary officially opened
the Mersey Tunnel. The Wellington Haulage lorries look like Leylands, which I think have LV number
plates, but I don’t recall the company. My father, seen here with the Ford 2 Tonner that he drove
for Greenbanks Dairy, once told me that he drove this lorry through the Mersey Tunnel on the opening day.
Ray Smyth.

Queesway Tunnel.jpg

764864466_0823f00ccd_z.jpg

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Webster Brothers.

Hiltons transport services were the firm used in the brothers.
Photo off the net.
Got anymore geo.Davies photos Ray?
Steve.

Ray Smyth:
Kev, Thanks for your input on this thread, I try to keep it going, the best that I can. It was started
by “Xkopite” Dave from Kirkby in 2008, well done Dave. I imagine that you are more Manchester
connected, rather than Liverpool, so it begs a question…Do you remember James Spencer Transport ?.
I believe their depot was somewhere between Stretford and Manchester, maybe Chester Road or
Stretford Road, in the area where Duerrs had a jam factory. The reason I ask about James Spencer is
that they had a small depot at Tram Street in the Platt Bridge area of Wigan, with about 8 or 10
rigid flatbed lorries, some of them were ex Guinness Albions, and their main source of work was from
H.J.Heinz at Kitt Green, Wigan, doing multiple drops, mainly to grocers shops and wholesalers.
Spencers depot building and yard was formerly a tram depot, hence the address Tram Street.

Best Regards, Ray.

Thanks for info Ray
When I was working for Humko KRAFT Westinghouse road T/Park there was a James Spenser Leyland 4 wheeler on perminant contract to move packaging around the refinery.
They were based just off Chester Road Old Trafford, they had contracts with Duerrs Jam and the old Nichols Vimto plant. I am sure they had done work for Holt’s brewery. I remember they had a depot at Platt Bridge and seen them in the Heinz plant at Kitt Green. I remember Naylors Leyland had the main contract for Heinz in the 1970s. I had seen a few Spencers in Thomas Witters Lino works Chorley moving base products and small machines.
We moved to Kings Lynn over 35 years ago but visit our god daughter who lives on the main Warrington Road Platt Bridge.
Cheers KEV

This ERF E10 was parked on spare land at Balthane Industrial Estate at Ballasalla Isle of Man a few years ago. It has a 1994 Liverpool plate but I couldn’t find out any more about it. Maybe you recognise it Ray? Notice it has two fuel tanks.

iom77.jpg

iom76.jpg

iom75.jpg