Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

This picture is looking down William Brown Street, Liverpool in the 1960s.
The Liverpool Corporation bus is a Leyland PD2, and the 8 wheeled Leyland
tipper is Oliver Harts of Coppull, Lancashire. The Morris Commercial which
is painted red looks like one of many that North Western Gas Board operated
in the late 1950s and into the 1960s. Their red paint was from Masons of
Derby, and it was called “Light Masons Red”. Some of these Morris lorries
were coke tippers, and some were flatbeds for bagged coke delivery.
Ray Smyth.

This may be of intrest Ray. Article from 1962 about J.Bibby & Sons.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
This may be of intrest Ray. Article from 1962 about J.Bibby & Sons.

Hi Dean, Thank you for this interesting article and pictures. I remember Bibbys lorries very well.
They had many drawbar flat trailers, which were about 24ft long, and were coupled to rather
strange looking ballast tractors. From memory, the tractors were “Saviem-Latil” 2 axle machines,
they appeared to be 4 wheel drive, and also 4 wheel steered. The trailers were usually seen
fully loaded with big sacks of Oilseed ■■■■ or Cattle Feed. I think that Tate & Lyle, whose large
sugar refinery was not far from Bibbys also had some of these strange machines.

Kind Regards, Ray.

Sayers Bakery at Lorenzo Drive in the Norris Green district of Liverpool.
I believe Sayers are still here, and their many shops in the Northwest
are now called Pound Bakery. Ray Smyth.

I mentioned this a few months back , theres a strange looking (to me) drawbar trailer on Prenton Ind Est and its been there for years. It`s a 4 in line with a drawbar on the front ,was this a one off or were they a regular sight on the roads of yesteryear?

ramone:
I mentioned this a few months back , theres a strange looking (to me) drawbar trailer on Prenton Ind Est and its been there for years. It`s a 4 in line with a drawbar on the front ,was this a one off or were they a regular sight on the roads of yesteryear?

Hi Ramone, This type of trailer was a common sight on Merseyside in the 1950s & 1960s.
Have a squint at the Jarvis Robinson thread, there is one on there, pulled by a Foden ballast tractor.
Bibbys and United Africa Oilcake Mills and several other firms had this type of trailer. Some of them
were made just 2 miles away at Dyson Trailers in Grafton Street, Liverpool.
Regards, Ray.

PS. Have a look also at page 7 on this thread. Ray.

Ray Smyth:

ramone:

Hi Ramone, This type of trailer was a common sight on Merseyside in the 1950s & 1960s.
Have a squint at the Jarvis Robinson thread, there is one on there, pulled by a Foden ballast tractor.
Bibbys and United Africa Oilcake Mills and several other firms had this type of trailer. Some of them
were made just 2 miles away at Dyson Trailers in Grafton Street, Liverpool.
Regards, Ray.

PS. Have a look also at page 7 on this thread. Ray.

Thanks for that Ray i looked twice when i first saw the one at Prenton

Cridddle & Co Sentinel steam ballast tractor pushing a loaded trailer into
a building, coupled to the “Front Shunt” bar. Picture from Liverpool Picturebook.

Colemans Removals from Liverpool. 1966.

removals 66 colemans lpool.PNG

DEANB:
Colemans Removals from Liverpool. 1966.

Thank you to Dean for the Colemans picture. Ray.

Jacobs Biscuits Leyland Octopus from about 1955.

Ray Smyth:
Anthony Curran Leyland Comet from about 1962/63. I remember Anthony Curran Lorries very well,
but I cant recall what they carried in their insulated boxvan trailers. I do know that large amounts
of freshly slaughtered meat was carried from the huge Stanley Abbatoir on Prescot Road in insulated
vans and containers, before fridge vans were regularly seen. Ray Smyth

I currently work in what used to be Anthony Currans garage in Ford Street off Vauxhall Road.
We have it as a commercial garage now. Sheel Commercial Repairs.

Ray Smyth:
Mersey Tunnel, Liverpool, in the late 1960s. On the left of the picture are
two Mersey Tunnel Police Land Rovers, and leaving the tunnel are a Ford
Zodiac, a TK Bedford, a Ford Thames Trader of the large fleet of Fords of
Scotts Bread, whose bakery was near to what is now the location of the
start of the M57 and M58. Behind the bread van is what looks like a
British Road Services Bristol.

Ray Smyth.

Nice pic Ray ! can you remember this ?

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:
Mersey Tunnel, Liverpool, in the late 1960s. On the left of the picture are
two Mersey Tunnel Police Land Rovers, and leaving the tunnel are a Ford
Zodiac, a TK Bedford, a Ford Thames Trader of the large fleet of Fords of
Scotts Bread, whose bakery was near to what is now the location of the
start of the M57 and M58. Behind the bread van is what looks like a
British Road Services Bristol.

Ray Smyth.

Nice pic Ray ! can you remember this ?

Hi Dean, Thank you for this picture of the Mersey Tunnel roof scrubber, I have seen this picture before,
albeit in black & white. I only ever saw the machine once, because it was nocturnal, appearing at night
when the traffic was quiet. I have read the article above, and from what I was given to understand in the
past, the “Scrubbing” part of the lorry , from the turntable upwards, was built at Walkers Engineering at
Wigan. Have a look on page 7 on this thread, and see the original Scrubber from 1934, which was on a
Pagefield chassis, built at Walkers. A large content of the inner workings of the enormous ventilator
shafts, either side of the river were designed and built at Walkers. Kind regards, Ray.

The tall building in the centre of the picture is the ventilation shaft of the
Mersey Tunnel close to the Pier Head in Liverpool. There is also a ventilator
shaft building just across the river at Birkenhead. Ray Smyth.

Lord Street in Liverpool in the late 1950s. The tramlines are still there, but the overhead wires
have gone. The last trams ran in September 1957. The British Railways Scammell Scarab artics
were a common sight in Liverpool. Ray Smyth.

I know it’s not a 60s Motor, but what happened to Pearsons? Did they join forces with Dee Valley Transport?

Ray Smyth:
Well done Robert for spotting the deliberate mistake…It should have read 1961. :blush: :blush:
This is me aged 18 in 1962, on a part time Saturday only job, driving for the Transport Division of
W.H.Smith, (Newsagents), known as W.H.Smith Transport. The job involved a 4pm start at
Leeds Street Garage, make your way to The Liverpool Daily Post & Echo on Victoria Street, and
about 4.45pm, load up with approx 50 bundles of the “Sporting Pink” edition of the Liverpool Echo,
containing the football results of that afternoons games, and set off through the Mersey Tunnel,
heading for North Wales. First drop was Queensferry, then every town along the A55 as far as
Bangor. It was quite common for Denbighshire Police to pull you in at Penmaen Head, just above
Old Colwyn, and for them to scrounge a few free copies of the “Sporting Pink”, and then offer to
give you a chase as far as Colwyn Bay Railway Station, Blue Lights etc. W.H.Smith Transport had
about 40 vans on regular contract to Liverpool Daily Post & Echo. This picture is me on my first
day, learning the route and the drops with George Smart, also a Saturday only driver, his full time
job was as a rent collector for Liverpool Corporation Housing Department. This is on the way back,
having stopped for a swift Draught Bass at the Alexandre Inn at Penmaenmawr.
The Commer Van, Reg.No. 3408 KB is quite close to the number of the ERF above. Regards, Ray

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve cleaned this up a bit but want to do more which will take time and I haven’t got the proper means to do it

I had the same idea back in July when Ray originally posted it !!! You are most likely like me, I like to see an interesting photo look as good as it can.
This was my best stab at cleaning it up back then, I hope you don’t mind, I must have forgotten to post it back in July !!

Regards. John.

old 67:
I had the same idea back in July when Ray originally posted it !!! You are most likely like me, I like to see an interesting photo look as good as it can.
This was my best stab at cleaning it up back then, I hope you don’t mind, I must have forgotten to post it back in July !!

Regards. John.

That’s a a good job.These all take time.I’ve got many to do but being 82 there is a chance I might have to leave someone to carry on.You can’t choose your relatives so you might see some poor photos that to put it bluntly crap.I used to have Adobe but when I went to Windows 10 I lost it as you may well know was much better for getting the " little Bits " No excuses though.

Regards Tony