Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, Thank you for the information regarding Carriers Licences. I think that W.H.S. Transport
must have had a Carriers Licence, one of Smiths lesser jobs was loading at Eric Bemrose Printers at
Long Lane in Aintree, their main work was printing TV Times, Practical Motorist, etc, so the magazines
slotted in rather well because they were delivering to Newsagents every day. I have just spotted two
tax disc holders in the windscreen of the little Commer in the above picture. Kind Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray, the mystery deepens ! if it were possible to enhance the shot of that van’s discs it would be solved but I would hazard a guess that it would show a “B” or then again it may just be a “Guinness label” which used to be a standing joke years ago when dodgy licencing was discussed among Drivers and Operators ! So are we going to try and get to the bottom of this conundrum ? Regards Dennis.
PS Ray, I’ve just googled the 1933 Road Rail Traffic Act and right at the start of wording it clearly states that EVERY vehicle adapted for the carriage of goods must have a Carriers Licence, either an “A”, “B” or “C”.

Bewick:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dennis, Thank you for the information regarding Carriers Licences. I think that W.H.S. Transport
must have had a Carriers Licence, one of Smiths lesser jobs was loading at Eric Bemrose Printers at
Long Lane in Aintree, their main work was printing TV Times, Practical Motorist, etc, so the magazines
slotted in rather well because they were delivering to Newsagents every day. I have just spotted two
tax disc holders in the windscreen of the little Commer in the above picture. Kind Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray, the mystery deepens ! if it were possible to enhance the shot of that van’s discs it would be solved but I would hazard a guess that it would show a “B” or then again it may just be a “Guinness label” which used to be a standing joke years ago when dodgy licencing was discussed among Drivers and Operators ! So are we going to try and get to the bottom of this conundrum ? Regards Dennis.
PS Ray, I’ve just googled the 1933 Road Rail Traffic Act and right at the start of wording it clearly states that EVERY vehicle adapted for the carriage of goods must have a Carriers Licence, either an “A”, “B” or “C”.

And the coppers (remember them, they used to do a beat and stand on street corners!) were quite eagle eyed and knowledgeable. Dad had a shop on Dalton road in 1959 and bought a Morris Minibus, so that he could bring goods up from Manchester (oh the excitement of going with him and travelling on the new Preston Bypass.) To get more room on those trips he took the seats out and got a right b********g from one of the uniformed fraternity when he was loading up. He said that he could carry what he liked in it with the seats in, as it was classed as a car, but having taken the seats out he would be reported for not having a ‘B’ licence. After the exchange of 20 Senior Service he let him go, but Dad always left the seats in after that.
Edit. On reflection I guess the correct carrier’s licence would have been a ‘c’ licence.

John.

John West:

Bewick:

Ray Smyth:

And the coppers (remember them, they used to do a beat and stand on street corners!) were quite eagle eyed and knowledgeable. Dad had a shop on Dalton road in 1959 and bought a Morris Minibus, so that he could bring goods up from Manchester (oh the excitement of going with him and travelling on the new Preston Bypass.) To get more room on those trips he took the seats out and got a right b********g from one of the uniformed fraternity when he was loading up. He said that he could carry what he liked in it with the seats in, as it was classed as a car, but having taken the seats out he would be reported for not having a ‘B’ licence. After the exchange of 20 Senior Service he let him go, but Dad always left the seats in after that.
Edit. On reflection I guess the correct carrier’s licence would have been a ‘c’ licence.

John.

What a lot of dodgy Buggers came out of Barrow ! Anon 1. PS should have stuck a “Cases” label in the windscreen :blush: :wink:

Hi Does anyone on this thread know anything about Greenwoods of Aintree

Cheers

Rich

These vehicles are at the bottom of St Johns Lane in Liverpool City Centre.
This picture is from the late 1950s, when the junction was controlled by
a Policeman, stood in a raised black and white painted podium.
The vehicles are held at this very busy junction, to the right of the picture is
Whitechapel and Victoria street, ahead of the vans is Manchester Street
and the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel, to the left is Old Haymarket.
The tramlines in the foreground are filled in with tar, the trams having
last ran in September 1957. The Liverpool Corporation buses are a mixture
of AEC Regents 3 & 5, and Leyland PD2s. The driver of the Ford Thames van
looks happy, despite the vehicle being “Rough as a bears backside” .
Perhaps the number plate on the Morris “J” van would have suited the Ford better. :laughing: Ray.

This is a view that the Ford Thames driver in the previous picture would have been
looking at, albeit this picture is from a later date. The vehicles on the right, including
a Mini, a Wolseley 6/110, and a Palethorpes Sausage van are queued at the Tollbooths
of the Mersey Tunnel. The Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2 bus is on Manchester Street,
on its way to the Pier Head terminus. Someone may recognise the green Commer, and
the red Leyland Comet. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Point Duty.png

This is a very interesting picture that Paul has posted on the Northwest Trucks Thread
The “William Ross” Bedford TK is delivering to one of the many William Ross Fruit & Veg
shops which they had on Merseyside. Another large Fruit & Veg company on Merseyside
was F.W.Waterworth, they had a sizeable fleet of flat lorries. To the left of Green Lane
is Lister Drive, and to the right is Moscow Drive. The area is known as Stoneycroft.
I am amused at the 2 chaps pushing the Bond Minicar, which has what looks like an L plate
on its rear bumper. The traffic lights appear to be “Bagged Up”, perhaps they were
recently installed. Ray Smyth.

William Ross.jpg

This Liverpool location where Pall Mall to the right, and Chisenhale Street, straight ahead,
is totally unrecognisable today. From memory, I think that the large building on the left
was part of the large Tate & Lyle Sugar Refinery, I know that just further up on Vauxhall Rd
were several tall buildings that were Tate & Lyle, and some were connected by overhead
walkways as seen here. Ray Smyth.

This image is of the 2 lane Branch of the Mersey Tunnel on the Dock Road, at the Pier Head, Liverpool.
A loaded Wagon & Drag is at the toll booth, about to enter the tunnel, to the left is a Henry Diaper warehouse,
2 horse and cart outfits have just passed under the Liverpool Overhead Railway, about to follow the tramlines
up Chapel Street. It is difficult to date this picture, but I do know that the Overhead Railway closed December 1956,
and the last tram ran in September 1957. Click on the picture to see all of it. Ray Smyth.

Mersey Tunnel Branch.jpg

2 more pictures of the 2 lane Branch of the Mersey Tunnel at the Pier Head, Liverpool.
Lots of Lorries leaving the tunnel, heading for the Docks. The lower picture is from when
the Branch became one way traffic, exit only for traffic from Birkenhead, and “No Entry”
from this location. Ray Smyth.

B.M.C FG series van of Dinky Toys, Meccano, and Hornby Railways.
The factory was at Binns Road, off Edge Lane, Liverpool.

Dinky Toys FG.jpg

This Ford Thames Trader gully sucker was new to Liverpool Corporation in the early 1960s.
A large number of lorries and buses of Liverpool Corporation had number plates that were
signwritten, white painted letters and numbers on a black plate. Some of the number plates
on the rear of buses were handpainted on to a glass plate that was illuminated from within.

Ray Smyth.

Broadbelt St.jpg

Kodak Liverpool.

liverpool kodak   pliverpool.PNG

Hello all.
Does anyone remember G.Y Williamson and Co.? Latterly known as Williamson Fuels and Williamson Transport?
My grandfather was Graham Williamson, the last of the family to run the business. He ran Volvo F86s 88s and F7s. In the early days they had Bedfords amongst other things.
In the 70s/80s/90s he shared a garage with John Fielding in Studholme Street. Bootle.
Anyone got any memories/pictures? Sadly im too young to remember much about the firm. But i wish i did.
Regards Matthew

Hi Matthew, Welcome to “Old Time Lorries” on Trucknet. Dave a.k.a. “xkopite” has a good knowledge
of Liverpool lorries, you can find him on this thread in the earlier pages. Send him a PM (Private Message)
from this thread, he may have some knowledge and possibly some pictures of Williamson lorries.
Perhaps some of your relatives may have some pictures in a shoebox gathering dust in the attic. :slight_smile: :wink:
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Mersey Tunnel, Liverpool, in the late 1960s. On the left of the picture are
two Mersey Tunnel Police Land Rovers, and leaving the tunnel are a Ford
Zodiac, a TK Bedford, a Ford Thames Trader of the large fleet of Fords of
Scotts Bread, whose bakery was near to what is now the location of the
start of the M57 and M58. Behind the bread van is what looks like a
British Road Services Bristol.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

Great picture - remember this scene well - how about the Morris van?
Had a puncture going towards Birkenhead once, just before the dock branch - they stopped the oposite traffic flow and I got into the dock/Wallasey tunnel and effected a quick wheel change on my 1959 Ford Prefect

Thanks
Ken b

Kenb:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

Great picture - remember this scene well - how about the Morris van?
Had a puncture going towards Birkenhead once, just before the dock branch - they stopped the oposite traffic flow and I got into the dock/Wallasey tunnel and effected a quick wheel change on my 1959 Ford Prefect

Thanks
Ken b

Thank you for your comments Ken, apologies for omitting the Morris 1000 van.
If you have any pictures of Liverpool lorries and buses, please put them on this
Trucknet thread.
Regards, Ray.

Anthony Curran Leyland Comet from about 1962/63. I remember Anthony Curran Lorries very well,
but I cant recall what they carried in their insulated boxvan trailers. I do know that large amounts
of freshly slaughtered meat was carried from the huge Stanley Abbatoir on Prescot Road in insulated
vans and containers, before fridge vans were regularly seen. Ray Smyth

Ray Smyth:
Anthony Curran Leyland Comet from about 1962/63. I remember Anthony Curran Lorries very well,
but I cant recall what they carried in their insulated boxvan trailers. I do know that large amounts
of freshly slaughtered meat was carried from the huge Stanley Abbatoir on Prescot Road in insulated
vans and containers, before fridge vans were regularly seen. Ray Smyth

Great photo Ray, I used to see Currans wagons going over the good old Standedge years ago when I first started driving on long distance work in the 50s, Thanks for posting these photos, Regards Larry.