LHD LAD-cab Leylands

They are NOT Albion cabbed Leylands , just Albions with Leyland letters on the front !

Lilladan:
They are NOT Albion cabbed Leylands , just Albions with Leyland letters on the front !

Many thanks, Lilladan, for sorting that lot out! That clarifies things better. :smiley: It’s most useful to get this stuff right so that future transport historians can pick the bones out of our ramblings. Unfortunately, ‘badge engineering’ leaves some pretty confusing trails at times! Cheers, Robert

Thanks for the thanks :slight_smile: its hard to tell Leylands from Albions from the cabs , the chassis are completely different however , but some Leyland models such as Super Comet 20 and Bear (both 6x4) often had a simple bumper bar and no extra steps below the doors ,so they looked very like Albions , but the books by A Ingram , G Edge and even Pat Kennet stating that the Leyland Meteoor is a Comet are wrong , they are Albion Chieftain Super-Six models , because I served a five year apprentiship on these lorries I soon found out that the myth that there are no more Albions just Leylands with Albion or Leyland badges was VERY WRONG, that is the diffence between taking someones word for it , and having to strip and rebuild these trucks .

Here’s a Danish example that might tickle Anorak’s fancy! Robert

robert1952:

Consider it tickled. What a superb contribution. I have never seen anything like that before, at least not of Danish origin. It appears to be a coachbuilt cab behind an LAD cowl.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Consider it tickled. What a superb contribution. I have never seen anything like that before, at least not of Danish origin. It appears to be a coachbuilt cab behind an LAD cowl.

It’s on 8 stud front hubs so that would make it 18 ton gross? 20 ton I think on 10 stud hubs, what would the payload be with that body and fridge plant?

pete smith:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

It’s on 8 stud front hubs so that would make it 18 ton gross? 20 ton I think on 10 stud hubs, what would the payload be with that body and fridge plant?

It was probably academic as fridges were notorious for overloading in the old days, as I expect you remember! :laughing: Robert

As we have descended to the level of wheelstuds, I notice it has a curious step ring on the wheel. Apart from that, if it was a “light” chassis, maybe it was a rebadged Albion? Lilladan, can you identify it please?

It is an Albion Super Reiver , badged as a Leyland Super Reiver for Denmark , 8 stud wheels were often used on special Leyland models for Denmark , the Leyland 0.400 motor was quoted as 131 horse ( its gross power ) 125 in English money.

Lilladan:
It is an Albion Super Reiver , badged as a Leyland Super Reiver for Denmark , 8 stud wheels were often used on special Leyland models for Denmark , the Leyland 0.400 motor was quoted as 131 horse ( its gross power ) 125 in English money.

Thanks for that Lilladan. Cheers! Robert

Hey, This Albion clydesdale here I read had an Power Plus engine so 200hp and 38 tons,
Can someone tell me the real difference with a Beaver ■■?
Was it only the name that was differnt for customers who preferred an Albion ■■?
And what was the real purpose to have two max weight with 200hp’s if there was difference in both ■■?

Example from at MB it had a target, to get what you wanted in power and weight,

LP1924 240hp /38 tonne.
LP1921 210hp /38 tonne.
LP1424 240 hp /32 tonne.
And all had the big cab.

Eric,

3258097528_0554fcf682_a.jpg

tiptop495:
Hey, This Albion clydesdale here I read had an Power Plus engine so 200hp and 38 tons,
Was it only the name that was differnt for customers who preferred an Albion ■■?
And what was the real purpose to have two max weight with 200hp’s if there was difference in both ■■?

LP1924 240hp /38 tonne.
LP1921 210hp /38 tonne.
LP1424 240 hp /32 tonne.
And all had the big cab.

Eric,

Hi Eric,
That Albion has only got their hub reduction axle fitted so I would think it would only be plated for around 24 ton, Beaver’s had heavier chassis rails and the heavier hub reduction axle fitted, not sure about gearboxes as there was plenty to choose from within the group, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

tiptop495:

LP1924 240hp /38 tonne.
LP1921 210hp /38 tonne.
LP1424 240 hp /32 tonne.
And all had the big cab.

Eric,

Hi Eric,
That Albion has only got their hub reduction axle fitted so I would think it would only be plated for around 24 ton, Beaver’s had heavier chassis rails and the heavier hub reduction axle fitted, not sure about gearboxes as there was plenty to choose from within the group, Cheer’s Pete

Hey Pete Smith, thanks, thought that bought had the same gross weight an HP, but now looks as a
max power for low weights.

Eric,

Hi Eric , image shows an Albion Clydesdale , Leyland 0.400 power plus motor @ 131 gross horse , for 20 ton total weight , In England /UK was used for 24 ton ( before plating and testing ) 20 ton after , the even cheaper Chieftain with the same Engine was used in Denmark for 32 ton ! , these had Albion transmission all through , Leyland Comet /Super Comet had same drivelines , Motors g/box back axles , ( unless Eaton two-speed option ) ( Eaton not available on Albions ) Beaver had much larger chassis , Engine ,gearboxes and a larger hub reduction axle , wheels not even same as Albions ,also fuel tanks , steps , bumper bar and interiors .controls ect .

Lilladan:
Hi Eric , image shows an Albion Clydesdale , Leyland 0.400 power plus motor @ 131 gross horse , for 20 ton total weight , In England /UK was used for 24 ton ( before plating and testing ) 20 ton after , the even cheaper Chieftain with the same Engine was used in Denmark for 32 ton ! , these had Albion transmission all through , Leyland Comet /Super Comet had same drivelines , Motors g/box back axles , ( unless Eaton two-speed option ) ( Eaton not available on Albions ) Beaver had much larger chassis , Engine ,gearboxes and a larger hub reduction axle , wheels not even same as Albions ,also fuel tanks , steps , bumper bar and interiors .controls ect .

Thanks Lilidan,
Was told that it was for the DDR such an Albion and a power plus 200hp engine, last heart that it had a lower gross weight. So I don’t know ■■?

Eric,

Hi Eric , Albion sold trucks to DDR , but even if this was a special model for them with a Leyland 0.680 power plus @ 201 horse ( net ) 220 gross , the Albion hub reduction as seen on the truck was for no more than 24 ton gross , and would not take the power from a 680 , maybe they Insisted on it and found out the hard way , they did have Leyland Beavers that had a larger version of the Albion axle , so why an Albion with a 680 ? does not add up .

If we are talking about the white tractor unit parked by the kerb- is it not just a Beaver with an Albion badge on the front (for whatever marketing reason), or are there other details which say it is a Clydesdale?

LAD-cabbed Brossel (Belgium).

Couple of nice shots from the Paul Gee thread: a rare glimpse of the inside of the sleeper LHD cab and what looks like one of the big East-German fleet. Robert

gokhan_diler_ley4.jpg

Sleeper cab.

Click on pages twice.