LHD LAD-cab Leylands

More Turkish examples. Robert

bd37abb3633d130ad6442ffc01ea2e49.jpg
i829349.jpg
imagesVUSWCVMH.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-07-16-09h12m07s199.jpg

Used to see lots of these LAD cabbed Leylands when I was a kid. It’s what got me interested in trucks in the first place…

BTW, love this pic Robert…

Geoffo:
Used to see lots of these LAD cabbed Leylands when I was a kid. It’s what got me interested in trucks in the first place…

BTW, love this pic Robert…

Well, if they were as nice to drive as the double-decker bus version, I’d certainly be with you on that one. Mind you, they (buses) were heavy to steer and noisy in the cab. :wink: .Robert

I drove the one on the right,weighed 20 tonnes, leyland 401,5 speed and splitter, probarbly the worst thing I’ve ever driven

In Israel as a bus.

michel:
In Israel as a bus.
url]

I think they were called Ashod-Leyland there, like those pictured below (not the same as Ashok-Leyland in India). Robert

is ley.jpg

Picture number one and two in this thread actually show the same vehicle albeit with a few years difference. The one from the “couchette brochure” is very likely also the very same. These have been sold by Hotchkiss in France and feature a Hotchkiss badge under the windshield. The whole deal was far from successful and all in all twenty-something vehicles were sold, if I remember correctly (source: Charge Utile magazine). The shown sleeper cab is probably the only one.

The story behind the East German Beavers (and some 3axle chassis Albions)is interesting. The deal is rumored to be kind of a restitution after a Leyland chose a East German carrier to transport 42 Olympic buses to Cuba and those didn’t arrive exacly as planned. Shortly after, 180 Beavers (again by memory) with sleeper cabs were ordered by the state owned operator Deutrans along with a few containers of spare parts. However, these were never beloved and handed down to less important local duties as soon as the new Volvos F88s appeared at Deutrans.

barreiros:
Picture number one and two in this thread actually show the same vehicle albeit with a few years difference. The one from the “couchette brochure” is very likely also the very same. These have been sold by Hotchkiss in France and feature a Hotchkiss badge under the windshield. The whole deal was far from successful and all in all twenty-something vehicles were sold, if I remember correctly (source: Charge Utile magazine). The shown sleeper cab is probably the only one.

The story behind the East German Beavers (and some 3axle chassis Albions)is interesting. The deal is rumored to be kind of a restitution after a Leyland chose a East German carrier to transport 42 Olympic buses to Cuba and those didn’t arrive exacly as planned. Shortly after, 180 Beavers (again by memory) with sleeper cabs were ordered by the state owned operator Deutrans along with a few containers of spare parts. However, these were never beloved and handed down to less important local duties as soon as the new Volvos F88s appeared at Deutrans.

Excellent post, ‘Barreiros’! Good that you spotted the Hotchkiss clue. Your remarks about restitution should help to answer ‘Carryfast’s’ query further up this page. As for the 180 Beavers delivered to the iconic East German company, Deutrans: what a fantastic piece of transport history! I met the chap who now owns the Deutrans name/logo at Gaydon a couple of years ago as he was showing a restored Deutrans F88. If he turns up again I’ll ask him if he knows more about these Leylands. Cheers! Robert

Hey, sold as Brossel in Belgium.

Eric,

tiptop495:

Eric,

Clearly the same design as Ashod, down to the stylish diagonally placed double headlamps. Robert

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Eric,

Clearly the same design as Ashod, down to the stylish diagonally placed double headlamps. Robert

It seems from this:
israelmotorindustry.org/leyland- … ossel-eng/
…that the Ashdod moulds dame from Brossel. It also says that Leyland was involved with the engineering of the Brossel cab, so maybe the moulds were the same as the ones Leyland made for their own 'glass LAD (headlamp panels excepted). Maybe, due to the documented (can’t remember where) unpopularity of the plastic LAD in Britain, Leyland found a willing buyer for the moulds in Brossel? There is more to come from this little mine of intrigue!

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Eric,

It seems from this:
israelmotorindustry.org/leyland- … ossel-eng/
…that the Ashdod moulds dame from Brossel. It also says that Leyland was involved with the engineering of the Brossel cab, so maybe the moulds were the same as the ones Leyland made for their own 'glass LAD (headlamp panels excepted). Maybe, due to the documented (can’t remember where) unpopularity of the plastic LAD in Britain, Leyland found a willing buyer for the moulds in Brossel? There is more to come from this little mine of intrigue!

The EEC ruling against fibreglass cabs didn’t come in until 1978, but I suspect that they didn’t gain acceptance on the Continent for a range of reasons - safety perhaps, or insulation (hot in hot weather, cold in cold weather). Nonetheless, another interesting delve into the Brossel/Ashod/Leyland relationship re cab design. Robert

Another shot of that Hotchkiss-Leyland:

3045422157_2_3_t3FdpVSy.jpg

This one seems to contradict what I said about there being only one Hotchkiss sleeper cab delivered, so it probably was only one artic with that cab (but I only read it somewhere, so it mustn’t be true anyways):

More Hotchkiss:

From an old Eastern German movie:

Delivery of new “Deutrans LAD’s”, Rostock harbour 1966:

And some Danish delights:

One preserved by a transport firm named Falero not far from Montevideo (Uruguay).

Thank you Barreiros and Michel for those excellent contributions! Robert :smiley:

You have a lot of Albions mixed in these images (badged as Leylands for certain markets) also was the brossel cabin used on a Canadian sleeper Beaver /Hippo .

Lilladan:
You have a lot of Albions mixed in these images (badged as Leylands for certain markets) also was the brossel cabin used on a Canadian sleeper Beaver /Hippo .

I can only see two Albions: the first one I labelled ‘Albion’ and the second one is Leyland-engined. :wink: . Have you noticed some with Leyland badges on, then? Robert

Hello Robert, as a general rule of thumb, long door LAD cabbed four wheelers were Albions. The long-door tipper shown earlier badged as Leyland also looks to have the Albion front axle hub cover. No doubt there were anomalies to my earlier statement and as Lilladan says there was plenty of badge engineering for export markets. Much depended on internal politics and sales policies for certain export markets.

gingerfold:
Hello Robert, as a general rule of thumb, long door LAD cabbed four wheelers were Albions. The long-door tipper shown earlier badged as Leyland also looks to have the Albion front axle hub cover. No doubt there were anomalies to my earlier statement and as Lilladan says there was plenty of badge engineering for export markets. Much depended on internal politics and sales policies for certain export markets.

Thanks for the clarification, Gingerfold. It does look as if some of those exports might have been Albion cabbed Leylands. Cheers, Robert

In fact around seventeen Albions are shown , the Danish market Leyland Reivers at DAB are Albion Reivers and the line up of Anglo-Danish tractors in Esbjerg are all Albion Chieftains badged as Leyland Chieftains as the Albion name was dropped in Denmark as Leyland were much respected there , these Albion Chieftains( built in Glasgow ) were called Leyland Meteoors in Holland and Belgium , and in Denmark sometimes.