Old Landrovers

As an offshoot of the scrapbook memories thread, here you go, your very own Landrover thread. (I mean proper square ones, not those new curvy flowy things)

I suppose I may as well post some about mine, some of which do have a bit of history.

This is my 1969 1-ton. It was new to Southern Electric and used by them until 1984. Quite a rarity.

This is our 1966 88", again ex-SEB. This will be used by my girlfriend once we get it back on the road.

And this is our 110 I use to go to work etc.

As may be obvious, I’m not really into modifying old vehicles, I like 'em as they were built. The older ones also remind me a bit of an old lorry. :slight_smile:

BanburyDan:
As an offshoot of the scrapbook memories thread, here you go, your very own Landrover thread. (I mean proper square ones, not those new curvy flowy things)

I suppose I may as well post some about mine, some of which do have a bit of history.

And this is our 110 I use to go to work etc.

As may be obvious, I’m not really into modifying old vehicles, I like 'em as they were built. The older ones also remind me a bit of an old lorry. :slight_smile:

So what is the Ford engined 110 like to drive, is it quieter, what is the consumption like compared to the TD5.

The puma is quieter, and obviously has the six speed gearbox and better soundproofing. Its very comfy, and the heater gets very hot. Air con is one temp only, medium-cold.
Its hard for me to compare the Puma with a Tdci on fuel use, as the only TD5s I ever drove were heavily laden and I didn’t keep a record of the fuel use. But the Puma gets about 30mpg when driven gently, a 90 will do a little better so I am told.

By way I used to drive these -

Not that specific one, but very similar.

Old Land Rovers have as much charm as Atki Borderers…
(I like both…)

I agree.

Anyone recognise any of these?

This is my old Land Rover, it’s the same age as me :open_mouth:

Series 1.jpg

60 this August
Regards,
Nick

1950-51 80", does that have the 1.6 or the 2 litre engine? Nice model, would love one but a bit too rich for me!

It’s not as it was in 1952 and it didn’t cost a fortune, less than £2000 four years ago.
It has a 2.5 (Sherpa) diesel and does 35 mpg, at 45 mph.
It also has a synchromesh gearbox, a Fairey overdrive, free wheeling front hubs, Series III rear springs, Series II axles and a Smiths heater :open_mouth: .

The previous owner did all of the alterations but before that it was his father’s V8 trialler, so it’s had a chequered career.
Ironically, it was first sold in Pickering, not too far from where it lives now but has been owned all over the country.
I went to Stoke on Trent for it.

I also own this, a very early Series III, 1972 K reg but it lives in the garden until I “retire” and have time to make it roadworthy.
Also diesel, 2.25, but uses slightly more oil than fuel and the rest falls out of the leaks.

Series III.jpg

Regards,
Nick.

Drool drool,
Some nice piccys there, but stop putting them up before I do something stupid and replace my Ford Galaxy with an original people carrier, summat like a six pot 109, or a modded lightweight and drop a sd1 V8 in it.

Mmm, six pots, thats what in my 109".

ncooper - i forgot the question mark after the 1950-51 thing. I know the lamps changed to be like that in 50, so was kind of guessing. Sounds like a nice little truck. :wink:

Endit:
Old Land Rovers have as much charm as Atki Borderers… (I like both…)

You are having “a giraffe” aren’t you “Endit” ! how can you compare a "bag of ■■■■ " L/Rover with one of the finest HGV’s ever built !! Anyhow this is an HGV site not A car and light comic site !!! Mods,mods get a grip please !!! Cheers Bewick.

I really like the look of the 1 ton tow trucks.
Neil.

Bewick:

Endit:

You are having “a giraffe” aren’t you “Endit” ! how can you compare a "bag of [zb] " L/Rover with one of the finest HGV’s ever built !! Anyhow this is an HGV site not A car and light comic site !!! Mods,mods get a grip please !!! Cheers Bewick.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I expect the mods will let it stand actually, considering the number of aficionados here. They are commercial vehicles after all, I see plenty of photos of Transits on here with no objections…

Bewick:

Endit:

You are having “a giraffe” aren’t you “Endit” ! how can you compare a "bag of [zb] " L/Rover with one of the finest HGV’s ever built !! Anyhow this is an HGV site not A car and light comic site !!! Mods,mods get a grip please !!! Cheers Bewick.

Yes…

they should be scraped all of them :laughing: normally seen tow another with a home made A frame :unamused: all though i did laugh when leaving a show and vosa had pulled loads over, all getting taken away :laughing:

kemperink:
they should be scraped all of them :laughing: normally seen tow another with a home made A frame :unamused: all though i did laugh when leaving a show and vosa had pulled loads over, all getting taken away :laughing:

Yawn.

What with all the hating - the thread title says its a thread about Landrovers, if you don’t like them, stay away! Pretty simple stuff. I said before, there are some brands of truck I can’t do with, but I wouldn’t lower myself to joining in a thread about them moaning about them…whats the point.

Here’s a couple from me,taken at ARC Builth Wells quarry,mid 80’s. I like the look of the flat deck tray instead of the well side pick up. Most Landys here and in oz have this style of tray.

Another well worked site Landy,they look good with the side mounted exhaust stack.

Cheers Jamie

If we’re going to have a thread specifically for Landy’s then I’ll transfer this post from the “Scrapbook” thread so’s not to upset anyone who doesn’t like the marque.
For a recreational vehicle and definitely not a purists dream,I have gone back to basics and have part owned with my son a 1970 Series 2A which I have rebuilt over the years to be the Land Rover that I want.
A ground up rebuild now sports a galvanised chassis and rebuilt galvanised bulkhead.
A rebuilt 2.4 Volkswagon 6 pot diesel engine liberated from an LT 35 truck,with a stainless exhaust system it sounds as good as any V8.
A Fairey overdrive,and 3.5 Disco diffs to up the gearing,
Defender doors,so now the rain can’t get in and the cat can’t get out.
A mixture of VW and Volvo electrics,Golf 2 speed heater,etc.etc.
The drivers of the so called “Chelsea tractors” may laugh,but at 40mpg an still with impressive off road performance,laugh on fellas.
My last job when the weather improves is to spray the vehicle panels all the same colour.

I was working in South Africa a few years ago and they just love their Landy’s there.

Me and Her went up to Whitby onm holiday a couple of years ago and spotted these beauties:

Landy ice cream van outside Whitby abbey.

This 101 FC lives across the village green from the shops in Aidensfield,(Heartbeat country)

Anyone not already on this site may be interested,although it’s been quiet for a week or two.

lrboards.com/forum/index.php … 34c287678e

NZ JAMIE:
Here’s a couple from me,taken at ARC Builth Wells quarry,mid 80’s. I like the look of the flat deck tray instead of the well side pick up. Most Landys here and in oz have this style of tray.

Another well worked site Landy,they look good with the side mounted exhaust stack.

Cheers Jamie

Any particular reason why the exhausts were mounted like that? I take it they were just site vehicles considering the condition of them?

sod it why not … :grimacing: