Old Landrovers

Your 90 looks pretty meaty :slight_smile:

BanburyDan:
Your 90 looks pretty meaty :slight_smile:

it was and selling it was the 2nd biggest regret of my life … we won’t go into the 1st biggest . :imp:

ah sod it heres mine

thegunner:
ah sod it heres mine

Think this was about a 69/70 model when they first moved the headlights from the grill to the wings, soon after they changed the metal front grill to plastic which upset the Aussies as the plastic grill was useless for cooking on ! :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

thegunner:
ah sod it heres mine

Think this was about a 69/70 model when they first moved the headlights from the grill to the wings, soon after they changed the metal front grill to plastic which upset the Aussies as the plastic grill was useless for cooking on ! :laughing: :laughing:

Yes its a very late series IIA. Lamps moved to wings in late 68 for some export models (US, Australia and Belgium first IIRC) then home market from spring 69 onwards. The plastic grille was introduced when the series III came out in September 1971. The idea of cooking over the grille is a bit of a wind up, the poison from the zinc on the galvanising is most certainly not edible.

BanburyDan:

Trev_H:

thegunner:
ah sod it heres mine

The idea of cooking over the grille is a bit of a wind up, the poison from the zinc on the galvanising is most certainly not edible.

Were the Aussies that particular ? it would be ok with a few layers of fat on it :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

BanburyDan:

Trev_H:

thegunner:
ah sod it heres mine

The idea of cooking over the grille is a bit of a wind up, the poison from the zinc on the galvanising is most certainly not edible.

Were the Aussies that particular ? it would be ok with a few layers of fat on it :laughing: :laughing:

Fair point! But I’m not about to whip the grille of my own IIA to find out! :smiling_imp:

Hi you are right 1969 cracking litlle landy, took some work to get it fit for the road though.

BanburyDan:

Trev_H:

thegunner:
ah sod it heres mine

Yes its a very late series IIA. Lamps moved to wings in late 68 for some export models (US, Australia and Belgium first IIRC) then home market from spring 69 onwards. The plastic grille was introduced when the series III came out in September 1971. The idea of cooking over the grille is a bit of a wind up, the poison from the zinc on the galvanising is most certainly not edible.
[/quote]

Not quite as strange as it seems Dan. For many years I drove around Southern Africa with a piece of chicken wire on the back of the truck. This was folded over a couple of times and after a while the galvanised coating was burnt off. It never did me any harm. THIS QUOTE IS NOT OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. :laughing:

B.T.W. did you never warm up a tin of beans or a tin of soup on the Landy manifold, I must admit that I never did it but I was told that it could be done.

Regards Steve.

I never tried to cook with the engine, but mate of mine did and wasn’t very successful.

The cooking on galv thing is interesting, the general idea is that welding with galv is a no-no due to noxious gasses that are given off, would the same apply to cooking I wonder?

bertha.jpg
Our 1967 Series IIa

been undergoing a rebuild for 3 years now :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :blush:

berthatopless.jpg
Hoever she is nearly ready…

bulkheadengine.jpg

built2.JPG

probably only about a year left and she will be back on the road !!

You can read Berthas blog on the rebuild/restoration
2009 here
2010 here
2011 here

I had a S111 LWB,2.25 diesel.Bought it about 1980-81 for £1200 in perfect condition.It was 1976 registered PTM883R and came from Beeline so was bright red as that was the company colours.Typical two and a quarter diesel,gutless,19mpg but would go anywhere at its own speed which on a long long downhill straight was 60mph and you needed earmuffs even with the freewheeling hubs. I thought of buying another one recently and blow me theyre asking silly money for one of the same year,more than I paid for it at five year old.
Must be a lot about still as we manufacture parts for Gwyn Lewis 4x4 and he buys a lot for S111`s.
Oh,and I had a sore shoulder from the day I bought it until I sold it several years later.I needed it for work then and that was the best that was available in these days.Nowadays I prefer my Volvos and have an Isuzu Bighorn for the snow.

19mpg is very poor for the 2.25 diesel. You sure it wasn’t petrol?

BanburyDan:

Maybe it was petrol and because I was filling it with diesel all these years it only did 19mpg.
Is your fulltime job in the circus?

Gridley51:

BanburyDan:

Maybe it was petrol and because I was filling it with diesel all these years it only did 19mpg.

Err, no.

The old diesel should have got you high 20s…28, maybe even 30 on a good day. Maybe it was worn?

if you want good fuel economy from a landrover engine you need a 200tdi , 30 mpg is possible … just …

heres one i built earlier … :grimacing:

BanburyDan:

Gridley51:

BanburyDan:

Err, no.

The old diesel should have got you high 20s…28, maybe even 30 on a good day. Maybe it was worn?

I dont think you have as much experience with the old diesels as you think.Do you know what the power to weight ratio on these was?Do you actually know what they weighed without looking at a manual or the net?Do you know what weight mine permanently carried/Do you know that in the early eighties I serviced and maintained nearly one hundred S111s for my customers and that if mine was any different from the rest I wouldnt have noticed.It certainly wasnt worn,didnt burn oil,didnt smoke and didn`t leak.

Gridley51:

BanburyDan:

Gridley51:

BanburyDan:

Err, no.

I dont think you have as much experience with the old diesels as you think.Do you know what the power to weight ratio on these was?Do you actually know what they weighed without looking at a manual or the net?Do you know what weight mine permanently carried/Do you know that in the early eighties I serviced and maintained nearly one hundred S111s for my customers and that if mine was any different from the rest I wouldnt have noticed.It certainly wasnt worn,didnt burn oil,didnt smoke and didn`t leak.

My first car was a 2.25 diesel series III, and I know lots of people who run them. Mine was getting at least mid-20s. I can only go on what they tell me, as the older Landrovers I run now are petrol.

And wash your mouth out about those god awful Tdis! My six-cylinder cries when it hears one chugging along like an old tugboat. :smiling_imp:

BanburyDan:
And wash your mouth out about those god awful Tdis! My six-cylinder cries when it hears one chugging along like an old tugboat. :smiling_imp:

your 6 potter will no doubt sound even more glorious than a v8 would , no way will you get much more than 10/12 mpg from that my friend … :sunglasses:

the picture i posted earler of the green s3 was a six pot and ohhh my god … :open_mouth: