Aec mandator highroof cab

this truck fasinates me ive loved the mandator since i were a kid my uncle drove one and it was the first lorry i rode in.ive searched the net for info on this cab but can only find the stuff on biglorryblog does anyone have any info or know if any of these cabs are still about
these pics are truckerash,s

sorry cant remember whos pics these are

the biglorryblog article
http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2009/05/aec-30th-anniversary-bash-bigl.html

They are a great - looking motor Carl.I remember seeing the Patrick Mandator and would have loved one of the high cabs.I think the Lanes unit is a V8,if so it would have been a top motor - for as long as it lasted :laughing:

Bit of a git to get on the top bunk . . even David Blaine(spelling) would struggle to sleep on that.
I know that curtains wernt standard fitment in those days but crap as they are, they served a purpose.
No tassles or fringes in those days.

I think that this was a Leyland Motors exhibit at a Commercial Motor Show, possibly 1966

I will have to double check with my dad but I think the White Mandator Was T.Brady & Son Ltd of Barrow-in-Furness. I remember playing in it as a child when it was parked in the corner of the yard when it went out of service. If it is the same one it was bought from the motor show and in the picture it is on Bradys trade plates (EO barrow number) It had an automatic gear box and was very un-reliable, It was nick-named the ice cream van. I will double check with my dad and find out more about this truck as he drove for Bradys from the 60s till they stopped trading as a haulage company 1999?
Regards Steve.

Yes, I had always understood it to be the Brady’s motor, too. As you say, a ‘2-Pedal Beaver’. In Show guise, complete with chromed mirror heads.

Now this will strart the ball rolling.That Bradys Leyland has got one peice wheels. well in my AEC/Albion/Leyland wheel fitting experience only split
rims would would fit on the front axels because the track rod ends rubbed on the wheels have any of you found this problem.
John

Looking at the Leyland i dont think it is a Beaver i drove a semi auto and looking at the one in the picture the exhaust seems to have a very small tailpipe to me and the front axle seems a bit to narrow i think its a Super Comet but age has a strange way of fooling you.

It was based at Brady’s Felixstowe depot until it came off the road and returning to Barrow, It was never painted in the Great Red White and Blue colours of bradys but the cab was all white but in the picture it looks more like Leyland Motors colours. I remember the chrome mirrors and Bumper very fancy for them days.
Steve.

phil the book:
Looking at the Leyland i dont think it is a Beaver i drove a semi auto and looking at the one in the picture the exhaust seems to have a very small tailpipe to me and the front axle seems a bit to narrow i think its a Super Comet but age has a strange way of fooling you.

Looking at it, the fuel tank struck me as being rather small. But it’s a big cab for a lightweight tractor at that time! Looks like it even has chromed door hinges and quarter light frames, too

The fuel tank does look small,if you look at the rear axle you will see it is the leyland one with the heavy reduction hubs.A super comet would have been fitted with the Albion rear axle which had smaller reduction hubs and diff housing.Ithink you’re correct saying its a beaver.I don’t think a comet would have had that tank either.

Just had another thought.Could it be a Badger?

Mechanic i bow to your superior interlect.

My dad drove a normal cab mandator in the late 60s early 70s both for BRS northampton & later Swifts .I remember feeling disappointed when he got a replacement volvo F86 as it wasn`t a “proper” lorry & sounded like a hairdrier compared to the AEC :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning: Dont think the old man complained though :confused: :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hiya…not been to nasty but the last few comments have just summed up Leyland trucks Odd wheels/odd fuel tank for a long distance truck/narrow front axel/no curtains=thrown together anyhow that’ll do.Now do you see where the compertition took over so easly. I was always willing ERF/FODEN/AEC and Bedford to make a truck to compete. but as we have seen on the GUY thread. Buy some cheap bits and see what we can come up with… that’ll do.
But we’ve all found out it dos’nt work.sorry it did’nt work…Perhaps we should start a thread on how to build a virtual truck and call it a REMANISE.
because theres nothing in the british truck industry to look forward to unless Mitsubishi or Hino start building in Britain…yuck.
John

Well I used to spend alot of time on the road with my old man in the 50’/60’s, I then started on the road as a mate in 1970 and have been on the road ever since, but I can honestly say I have never seen one of these on the road, a really nice looking motor for the time, anyone know how many were made?

As far as there not being much room, which somone commented on, did you ever go in a F88 with twin bunks, bloody awful.

The roof section was fibreglass, the extention done by a company at Andover I think !
Locomotors ? something like that, one of the Southampton lads will be along later to confirm.
The Lanes was definately a V8, some more info of this motor on the Old Southampton Hauliers thread.

Fergie47:
The roof section was fibreglass, the extention done by a company at Andover I think !
Locomotors ? something like that, one of the Southampton lads will be along later to confirm.
The Lanes was definately a V8, some more info of this motor on the Old Southampton Hauliers thread.

Next time I’m talking to my old pal Eric Poss I will ask him about this photo I am sure he can clarify exactly what the Leyland is or I could ring the Big’un as he probably screwed Leyland into the ground when he bought it at the Motor Show !! Cheers Bewick.

Dieseldogsix:
did you ever go in a F88 with twin bunks, bloody awful.

Hmm quite!
I bought a top bunk for my 88 ,slid in it sideways, couldnt tilt your head up to see what the time was it was that tight a fit! :laughing: