Old Danes from Leyland

Found these pics of LAD sleeper cabbed Leylands from Denmark.
Must have been from when we had an empire.

KW,

Nice pics but sad, when Leylands ruled the world (outside of the States that is).
Brought back memories for me of the Top End of Australia. There was one firm in the far north who ran nothing but Leylands including several that looked just like these. Also an LAD cabbed AEC - yes - called a Mustang. Others in the fleet consisted of long nosed Bisons and Buffalos.

Another firm, Outback Transport, would use only Fodens. Enormously long sleeper cabs, some with double skinned rooves against the heat.

Shell ran special US style square cabbed Atkinsons which even had AC I think.

Me? I rolled for the legend of the north, Noel Buntine. We had all Macks. Powerful motors but no sleepers except for a steel catwalk type plate across the chassis with a 6" rail to stop you dreaming (nightmaring) yourself off under the wheels!
Noel ran two trains on contract for Shell hauling hot bitumen. Double manned from Darwin to Alice Springs one night they forgot to tighten down the front hatch and under a bit of wild braking (don’t know why, with 20 odd gears and two sticks, once rolling we stopped for nothing) a great dollop of molten road splodged onto the ‘bunk’. Good job the No.2 was riding with his mate at the time!

Even then, in the 60s, Brits were losing out to the Yanks, apart from the few diehards mentioned above. How did it all happen?

Salut, David.

Nice pics KW. I dont ever remember seeing a UK reged motor with the sleeper on the LAD cab! :wink:

Great pics KW :smiley:

Lovely LADs :smiley: (time to post up a pic of my old LAD Albion)

Great shots, do you reckon Leyland built them at the factory or theyw ere add-ons?

ghinzani:
Great shots, do you reckon Leyland built them at the factory or theyw ere add-ons?

I dont remember seeing sleeper cabs either, My dad was a salesman for Albion / Leyland and he used to give me all the brochures to chew :stuck_out_tongue:

The differences between the 2 photos suggest that maybe it was an aftermarket add on.

I realise the trucks are from 2 different design cabs as one has the wheel ring step while the other has built in steps, but look at the waistlines behind the doors

Wheel Nut:

ghinzani:

I dont remember seeing sleeper cabs either, My dad was a salesman for Albion / Leyland and he used to give me all the brochures to chew :stuck_out_tongue:

The differences between the 2 photos suggest that maybe it was an aftermarket add on.

I realise the trucks are from 2 different design cabs as one has the wheel ring step while the other has built in steps, but look at the waistlines behind the doors

Sounds about right - lovely job on the top one tho, esp with the chrome strips extending back across the sleeper.

Wheel Nut:

ghinzani:

The one with the deep step is the cab more usually used for the Albions although I do seem to remember some Octopus’s with that cab. At the time I always thought the Leyland cab the sexier of the two but maybe that was because as a sprightly young lad I didn’t need an easy step to leap in!! However the Leylands were definitely posher inside, the Albion cab being more basic.
The side lights jutted out slightly more on the Albion and I remember being mortified one day when I caught mine in a tight situation and pushed it out of line. It was my first long distance motor and had an extremely long chassis (4 wheeler) with an overhang which nearly lifted the front wheels off the ground if too much weight was put on the back end. For my first ‘backload’ from Silvertown to Bath and Bristol I had 2 pickups and had to load the first drop first. All on the back end. Going round the block for the 2nd I could have done with a slewing brake! Found out later that it was built as a coach chassis.
Salut, David.

Here’s some long-door examples. Still picking out the short-door ones…

Albion Reiver of W&J Riding

Power-Plus Leyland Beaver, also of W&J Riding

Nice pics Marky, is that a 2 pedal Beaver like Suttons ran? A mate of mine drove them.

No - sorry Mal - the two-pedal setup was introduced with the Freightline (Ergo) Beaver. I think the first ones were around 1965-66. I know Ridings had some Ergo Beavers with the 10-speed splitter boxes but I don’t know if there were any two-pedals. The Ergo Beavers were the last ‘big’ Leylands that Ridings ran - they had a few Redline Clydesdales and prior to that they had some Ergo Albion Super Clydesdales which had fixed cabs - hardy workhorses according to Tom Riding.

The Beaver pictured was a bit of a rocketship in it’s day by all accounts.

Ah right, I could have swore Bondy’s beaver was the old LAD, there ya go! :slight_smile:
We had some Clydesdales on a skip firm I worked for, and Freighters, I can tell you the Clydesdale was a better ride altogether.
Redlines,I take it you mean the same as the Bathgate cabs Marky?

Mal:
Redlines,I take it you mean the same as the Bathgate cabs Marky?

Yeah - Austins :cry:

Salut, David.

Redline, Bathgate, G cab - they’re all the same thing.

I think they succeeded the Austin badging though - the earliest I can remember seeing was a BMC.

Here’s a few pictures of the others I listed earlier.

Leyland Clydesdale which later served Mick Threlfall well as he was setting up his company.

Albion Super Clydesdale with a fixed Ergo cab

One of the last big Leylands run by Ridings - another Power Plus 680 Beaver

Nice pics Marky. That rigid albion flatback reminds me a bit of a Lynx I drove, later type ergo though.

marky:
Redline, Bathgate, G cab - they’re all the same thing.

I think they succeeded the Austin badging though - the earliest I can remember seeing was a BMC.

In the 70s my brother and I had a Transit van with trailer, 2 KM 4 wheelers and a Big J (which we snatched up opportunistically but never used). A large part of our work was subbing to WE Andrews & Son (later Clearway) delivering Super Ser gas heaters all over the UK. Old Bill Andrews, a lovely bloke, offered to sell us a Redline BMC plus 33 ft drop frame single axle van trailer for £500.
The deal? £100 down plus £100 per month for 4 months, interest free.
We turned him down because a) it had a Scammell auto coupling (where would we hire such a thing if we had a breakdown) and b) we couldn’t afford it :cry:
Sounds crazy, because we also used to do a lot of new furniture transport for which it would have been ideal, but in those days, if you didn’t have a house, a Dad in business (like Stobart) or a credit rating (if you couldn’t get credit you couldn’t get a rating) you couldn’t borrow money.
Often think we should have gone for broke for the sake of 4 months belt tightening though.

Salut, David.

This was an early (1959) short door cab Leyland Comet I drove in 1970-71, it had the 350 engine and 6-speed crash box. Once I got it up to 52 mph and that was the best it ever did, but it was very reliable, more so than the Leyland Mastiff V8 that replaced it.

Nice old pic sheeter! Was that Mastiff fitted with a perkins v8? I remember billy westwoods had a super-mastiff 6 wheel tipper, and I think that was a perkins v8.