LHD LAD-cab Leylands

I mistakenly guessed the name of the coachbuilder of the “factory” sleeper cabs as Bank Park on the South Coast, or something. I wasn’t far off: :unamused: :laughing:
qlocal.co.uk/showthread.php … QHePPYRh4w

It looks like they did two lengths of cab, the shorter being the Albion tractor, the longer one appearing on the German fleet.

Bumped up for Froggy55

Leyland-Hotchkiss tracteur jaune.jpg

these appeared on Facebook today

Steve

vwvanman0:
10 these appeared on Facebook today

Steve

Cab looks a respectable depth for the time! :sunglasses:

I don’t think it is an LAD cab. It looks like a coachbuilt special, using as many LAD parts as possible, to make it look like a “proper” Leyland, such was the kudos the marque carried in Europe in the 1960s. The reason? The cab in the picture is wider than an LAD, presumably to afford sufficient accommodation for long distance haulage.

Agree with you Anorak, they definitely look wider than standard, only just realised they are different vehicles also. Wonder how many they operated?

Steve

[zb]
anorak:
I don’t think it is an LAD cab. It looks like a coachbuilt special, using as many LAD parts as possible, to make it look like a “proper” Leyland, such was the kudos the marque carried in Europe in the 1960s. The reason? The cab in the picture is wider than an LAD, presumably to afford sufficient accommodation for long distance haulage.

Interesting! I hadn’t noticed the cab width. That explains a lot. It’s a bit like the Leyland PD2s & 3s using the ‘St Helen’s’ tin front from the LAD-cab range on their double-deckers.

The pictures below look as if they might well come from the same Dane culture of building LAD-look-alike cabs for their drawbar Leylands. I’m not certain that they are all Danish though. Ro

Ley%20DK.jpg
leylandsvensendk.png

There is a vald jensen and son Facebook group and these are on there, these look normal width.

Steve

One wonders why so much trouble would be taken over copying what was an outdated cab and, from what I gather, not a very comfortable cab either.

definitely not comfortable , i had to drive our crane from time to time , FIAT 170-26 one day to bloody awful 196something albion LAD based hydrocon clansman 10tonne crane. crane was good , the thing under it wasn’t .
tony

tonyj105:
definitely not comfortable , i had to drive our crane from time to time , FIAT 170-26 one day to bloody awful 196something albion LAD based hydrocon clansman 10tonne crane. crane was good , the thing under it wasn’t .
tony

The only LAD cab I drove was the double-decker with the LAD moulded panels on the front (see below). But those Leyland PD2s & 3s weren’t comfortable either, but they were fun do drive if you weren’t doing it for a living! :laughing: Incidentally, I don’t ever remember seeing a picture of a left-■■■■■■ PD2 with that type of ‘St Helen’s’ front.

8068239150_dc29b20f36_b.jpg

That bus took me to the footy a few times in the 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERF-NGC-European:

tonyj105:
tony

The only LAD cab I drove was the double-decker with the LAD moulded panels on the front (see below). But those Leyland PD2s & 3s weren’t comfortable either, but they were fun do drive if you weren’t doing it for a living! :laughing: Incidentally, I don’t ever remember seeing a picture of a left-■■■■■■ PD2 with that type of ‘St Helen’s’ front.

Southend on sea Corporation Transport had a few of those buses, they looked more modern than the older types with the exposed rad look.

This is from a web site dedicated to Southend Transport: sct61.org.uk/sct.htm

Since the purchase of the AEC Bridgemasters in 1959 and 1960, the Leyland group had developed their own lowheight bus in the form of the Lowlander. Unlike the Bridgemaster this had a separate chassis, allowing customers freedom in their choice of bodybuilder. For the first and only time Southend turned to the Falkirk works of Walter Alexander & Co for the front entrance bodies. The complete buses seated 70, numbered 323-32, were delivered in March 1963. Despite carrying Leyland badges on the ‘St Helens’ style glass fibre front cowls, the chassis were actually built in the Albion factory in Glasgow and this was acknowledged by the small Albion badge on the flap over the radiator filler cap. Many mechanical components, including the 0600 engine, were common with the Leyland Titan. The ten Lowlanders were the last Southend buses to be delivered with a blue painted roof, until an error in the specifications resulted in 21 of the 1971 Fleetlines appearing thus painted, much to the surprise of the Southend management!

Poses more questions as to when was Leyland an Albion!

Heres a few.

Hey,

A Belgian one.

Eric,

Beaver with sleeper-cab in Turkey.

This company must have had a big fleet of these Leylands!

uonP.jpg