Just seddon Atkinsons

windrush:
Yes there was a ‘cut out’ in the olive and you had to make sure the pipe was visible in it before using the tool. Fodens used them as well.

Pete.

Do you remember the seagreen connectors for copper fuel pipes Pete .I always carried a couple in the spanner bag , got me out of the crap a few times back in prehistory .

windrush:
Yes there was a ‘cut out’ in the olive and you had to make sure the pipe was visible in it before using the tool. Fodens used them as well.

Pete.

Do you remember the seagreen connectors for copper fuel pipes Pete .I always carried a couple in the spanner bag , got me out of the crap a few times back in prehistory .

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Heard you the first time Dave! :laughing: Not familiar with that name, but then most of the trucks I drove or worked on had plastic fuel pipes which we could join with brass couplings if they split. Foden Haulmasters with 201 Gardners tended to rub through on the chassis above the nearside front spring, we had a couple that when the main leaf snapped on the spring it chopped the pipe in half.

Pete.

Putting the new cab on courtesy of some great friends

moomooland:
This Seddon Atkinson 301 Series tractor unit Reg No C936 YRJ, new in August 1985, was operated by East Lancashire Paper Mill of Radcliffe,

Powered by a 290 ■■■■■■■ in line with a Spicer SST 8010-4B 10 speed splitter box it was driven by Dave Bewley who took the picture while
parked in a lay-by on the A580 East Lancs Road.

I know I know they are not Sed Atks but it was the shot of the 301 which caught my eye ! I saw that 301 in a photo frame in the East Lancs Board room when we took on the contract. That 301 had long gone by 1990 and I recall the new MD took it down and said “I’m sure we can do better than that Dennis” ! The 301 looks like it is loaded with 20 ton of Liner Board a brown paper that was used for box making and corrugated packaging.Cheers Bewick.

Anyone seen or have any pictures of B926OFP a 301 SA draw bar used by United Transport.

Thanks Dave.

Sadler Tanker Thornaby & Oldham
2 Seddon Atkis in the livery of Phillips Petroleum + 1 in Sadler livery.

SADLER SEDDON ATKINSON 8 wheeler in Phillips  Livery.JPG

One from FB but nice looking four wheeler, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
One from FB but nice looking four wheeler, Buzzer.

Nice shot of the 4 wheeler Buzzer ! ■■■■ & David Howarth were good Pals of ours for a good number of years because they could trust us not to poach their customers !. We helped them out regularly when they were busy which mainly was loads of drummed foam from Angus Fire Armour to Tilbury and often we pulled their Insulated vans when they were busy from the three Creameries they ran out of. In return we used to load their flats back from the South East with woodpulp for Milnthorpe.
The two Brothers finally offered me their business lock stock in 1982 with the proviso that I need just pay them to suit my ongoing circumstances, we used the same Accountancy firm so it was all “T”'d up properly like. But for once in my business life I declined to take it on, it was 1982 and the UK was in poor shape and Howarth’s needed a good chunk of investment as they had let things slip a bit as they were both ready to quit as their respective health was none too good. But as it turned out I made the right decision as over the following 3 or 4 years the business disintergrated as the old customer base changed dramatically i.e. evaporated ! But it was a tempting opportunity at the time though ! Interesting times though. Cheers Dennis.

We had three of those 200 series four wheelers on Tilcon, the gearchange was awful and on rough sites the lever would pop out of the linkage when the cab twisted and leave you stranded, but mechanically they were reliable enough although one had a ‘soft’ camshaft so the valve clearances needed frequent adjustment. Not sure how they managed to win Truck of the Year though!

Pete.

wagons 034.tif (1.09 MB)

wagons 035.tif (1.15 MB)

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi I’m new to this page is there anybody out there that can help please I’m after building a seddon Atkinson 2-11 sleeper cab rigid from scratch I’ve got some drawings but I’m after some advice or photos regarding engines chassis and interior shots as there’s nothing on the internet any help would be grateful

Pennineman:
Also posted on Peak district

We had four 401’s as below plus SNC288X (my motor) ARJ431Y and ARJ432Y. All four gave you a shower when going round corners after it had been raining, apart from that I quite liked them - and so did my ankle snappers :laughing:

I had a brief spell at Carpenters,I remember Flogger, he was a right lad. He was driving a yellow ERF E6 275 Tractor unit K544XVU

The first Seddon Atkinson 4-11 Series 4x2 tractor unit to enter service with W & J Riding was Reg No E600 DCK Fleet No 54 ‘Mercury’ Chassis No 82339.

Purchased new on the 11th of May 1987 at a cost of £29,609 plus vat it was one of the last 16 litre Gardner engined tractor unit’s to come off the production line at the now long gone Seddon Atkinson factory at Oldham in Lancashire.

Due to a downturn in business at the time it was not actually registered for road use until some three months later on the 1st of August 1987.

Driven from new by Howard Quick it is pictured here parked up on the M62 Hartshead Moor service area in West Yorkshire while coupled up to a forty foot tri-axle flat trailer loaded with steel plate.

After being in the fleet for nine years E600 DCK was sold on to J.C. Commercials of Bootle on the 27th of March 1996 for the sum of £2,250 plus vat.

Although 4-11 production only lasted for just over a year W & J Riding introduced quite a number of them into their ever-growing fleet from August 1987 through to the end of its production run in late 1988 after which time the 4-11 was replaced by the Seddon Atkinson Strato range.

moomooland:
0The first Seddon Atkinson 4-11 Series 4x2 tractor unit to enter service with W & J Riding was Reg No E600 DCK Fleet No 54 ‘Mercury’ Chassis No 82339.

Purchased new on the 11th of May 1987 at a cost of £29,609 plus vat it was one of the last 16 litre Gardner engined tractor unit’s to come off the production line at the now long gone Seddon Atkinson factory at Oldham in Lancashire.

Due to a downturn in business at the time it was not actually registered for road use until some three months later on the 1st of August 1987.

Driven from new by Howard Quick it is pictured here parked up on the M62 Hartshead Moor service area in West Yorkshire while coupled up to a forty foot tri-axle flat trailer loaded with steel plate.

After being in the fleet for nine years E600 DCK was sold on to J.C. Commercials of Bootle on the 27th of March 1996 for the sum of £2,250 plus vat.

Although 4-11 production only lasted for just over a year W & J Riding introduced quite a number of them into their ever-growing fleet from August 1987 through to the end of its production run in late 1988 after which time the 4-11 was replaced by the Seddon Atkinson Strato range.

Hello Moomooland did Ridings suffer with any major reliability problems with the LYT engines thanks Gary

gazsa401:
Hello Moomooland did Ridings suffer with any major reliability problems with the LYT engines thanks Gary

The late Tom Riding always said the Gardner 6LYT 16 litre 320 was one of the most reliable engines he ran and were fitted to virtually every Seddon Atkinson purchased in 1985 and 1986.

After eight or nine years service when vehicles were withdrawn many of the 6LYT engines were removed and sold on the Hartwood Exports who sent them over to the far east and are probably still powering Chinese junks in Hong Kong to this day. :smiley:

841D2665-33A7-4110-9760-3647F37440FE.jpeg

robthedog:

Shocking thing is those trains are still running @80 years old on the island line [emoji47]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk