Seddon Atki silver knight ltd edition 11 made

Has anybody got info on these trucks I drove No2 & I know there was one in Castleford & I spotted one in graemes at Taunton but thats about it :question: :question: :question:

Cant help you myself but watch this space, I’m sure the Atki boys will be bursting their David Browns to get to you!

greek:
Has anybody got info on these trucks I drove No2 & I know there was one in Castleford & I spotted one in graemes at Taunton but thats about it :question: :question: :question:

dafdave welcome to site i drove sed atkis between 1970 and 1983 but never saw one of them i dont even think suttons of st.helens had any and he had a massive fleet of sed atkis. good luck

dafdave:

greek:

dafdave welcome to site i drove sed atkis between 1970 and 1983 but never saw one of them i dont even think suttons of st.helens had any and he had a massive fleet of sed atkis. good luck

You’re right, but I think that Sutton had stopped buying Seddons by then. Although they were BIG Atkinson operators, I think the Seddon bits in the 400 Series rather put them off, not least the dissolving cab. Off hand, I can’t recall them running Sed-Ak 401s.

Didn’t Torridge have one of the limited edition motors?

There was one running about Ayr/Troon in the early 90s. Owned by Elliot Transport or one of their subbies. it had a purple cab and a Gardner engine. The same one had been featured in Trucking International a few yrs earlier but I can’t remember who the 1st owners were

thanks for the help chaps a little more info from me might help a bit the one i drove belonged to gallacher bros annfield plain K47 RCU when new it worked out of BICC at Wrexam for three yr`s then it was returned to NE it was a 4 wheeled unit 410 ■■■■■■■ & eton twin splitter The other one i new about at Castleford belonged to Gaffers but i dont know any specifics about it

240 Gardner:

dafdave:

greek:

You’re right, but I think that Sutton had stopped buying Seddons by then. Although they were BIG Atkinson operators, I think the Seddon bits in the 400 Series rather put them off, not least the dissolving cab. Off hand, I can’t recall them running Sed-Ak 401s.

Didn’t Torridge have one of the limited edition motors?

on giving the matter some thought you are right .I deffinately dont remember sutton running any 401s althogh i drove one myself for sheldons of little lever with the ill fated gardner 320 in it.Good engine when it was running but oh them cylinder head gaskets a disaster.

The book A thousand mile from nowhere features on of them on a trip to Moscow

Suttons did run 401s - John Killingbeck bought one of them and ran it in his fleet - it was a twin-steer (C492HDM) which was part of the Suttons tanker fleet.

marky:
Suttons did run 401s - John Killingbeck bought one of them and ran it in his fleet - it was a twin-steer (C492HDM) which was part of the Suttons tanker fleet.

I take it back - sorry! I never realised where John had got that one from - it was in the slide show too!

And it was a certain Suttons driver who recognised it on Saturday night and told us all where it started its working life.

dafdave:

greek:

Photo of said truck in my 80s & 90s photo forum the difference between std & ltd was aloy wheels 3 stage jake brake leather interior air horn two 400 ltr tanks 410 where our std ones were 400`s also had better quality bunks than the std ones. Still nobody came up with where any of them might be today

greek:

dafdave:

greek:

Photo of said truck in my 80s & 90s photo forum the difference between std & ltd was aloy wheels 3 stage jake brake leather interior air horn two 400 ltr tanks 410 where our std ones were 400`s also had better quality bunks than the std ones. Still nobody came up with where any of them might be today

Like all the other 400s and derivatives, they’ve probably all dissolved in the rain!

Although at least one infamous 400 apears to have survived.

Jim Wall has bought Novelty and it’s now apparently undergoing restoration (including a new 6LXCT)

marky:
Although at least one infamous 400 apears to have survived.

Jim Wall has bought Novelty and it’s now apparently undergoing restoration (including a new 6LXCT)

It is? Excellent news :astonished:))

Yes, I thought so too.

When Tom initially told me that someone had been to see it, he said they didn’t appear too keen - probably after learning of the damage to the engine. However, it would appear that Jim has taken it after all and is restoring the old girl.

Hopefully it will be tastefully restored into the correct period Riding livery - unlike one particular ex-W&JR vehicle I could mention which now looks a complete dogs-breakfast…

marky:
Yes, I thought so too.

When Tom initially told me that someone had been to see it, he said they didn’t appear too keen - probably after learning of the damage to the engine. However, it would appear that Jim has taken it after all and is restoring the old girl.

Hopefully it will be tastefully restored into the correct period Riding livery - unlike one particular ex-W&JR vehicle I could mention which now looks a complete dogs-breakfast…

Yes - I’ve seen a pic… and isn’t it!!! Who is Jim Wall? Any connection with the haulier in Liverpool?

Yup - it’s the very same J Wall.

Such a pity that his Borderer was allowed to escape restoration while he had it.

marky:
Yup - it’s the very same J Wall.

Such a pity that his Borderer was allowed to escape restoration while he had it.

Ah, the ex-Pandoro one, HHG 142N? I though that that one had gone for restoration

I saw it quite a bit on the wrong end of a suspended tow, and it looked sadder each time it hove into view.

Good to hear that it’s getting some TLC.

Now if we could just re-create one of the J Wall Guy Big J (twin-steer) units, that would look just great…