British Heritage Seddon Atkinson

For those of you who run around in rebadged Ivecos you might like to see some of the origins of this once proud British make of commercial vehicles who not only built lorries but also bus chassis and were present many years ago in the business of exporting trucks around the world.

Atkinson

Steam poered Atkinson

1920´s Atkinson Gully emptier

1935 2 axled Atkinson

1935 3 axled Atkinson

Atkinson 6LW 112bhp

Atkinson advert

A rare Atkinson Guardsman from 1964

Atkinson from late 60´s early 70´s

Atkinson Borderer

Pair of Atkinson Omegas awaiting shipment to South Africa

Australian Atkinson

Jamaican bus built on an Atkinson chassis

Seddon

Pair of Seddons from the 30´s

Early Seddon cab

Seddon MK5L

Bus built on Seddon chassis

1962 Seddon

Seddon rigid

Seddon artic

Seddon artic from the 70´s

Seddon 4 wheeler with mounted crane

Seddon Atkinson

In the 70´s unsuccessful attempts were made by both ERF and Foden to buy Atkinson but it was eventually bought by Seddon after Leyland who owned 20% of Atkinson agreed to the sale

Seddon Atkinson 200

Seddon Atkinson 400 artic

Seddon Atkinson 400 draw bar

Seddon Atkinson 400 Rigid

Nice pics Vasco, I’m sure Mal in particualr will enjoy the Seddon pics.

Coffeeholic:
Nice pics Vasco, I’m sure Mal in particualr will enjoy the Seddon pics.

He will be peeing his pants when he see these!! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Thats it TC, you have a go at me! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

your right Neil, I love em!

Great Pics Paul, Im glad you posted them M8! Ive drove a few of those on there, im all dewey eyed now, … remebering the cold and noise mostly! LOL :laughing:
I still love the Borderer tho! :smiley:

It’s a big “what might have been” thinking of the result of Foden or ERF managing to acquire Atkinson instead of Seddon. I believe they both came awful close at the time.

Still not much looks as good as an old Borderer.

Its something to wonder about for sure Limey. I spose in a way they might have dissapeared even sooner, as either ERF or Foden might have grabbed the best bits from Atki and re-cabbed them to fit in with their range as opposed to competing, and I dont think Seddon was as strong in the heavy end of the market as either Foden or ERF were? Who knows, interesting to wonder about tho.

I agree about the Borderer, I love the way they look, first artic I ever drove, I’d love to have a drive in one again some day, I can only imagine what tunes i’d play till I got the feel for them boxes again!

The Northern Ireland Trailers Atkinson is a Mark II Silver Knight - not a Borderer. There was a period around 1970-71 when the names (thought up by Atkinson publicity manager Frank Whalley) were added to production vehicles.

Raider - 4x2 rigids
Searcher - 6x2 & 6x4 rigids
Defender - 8x2 & 8x4 rigids
Borderer - 4x2 Tractive Units
Leader - 6x2 Tractive Units
Venturer - 6x4 Tractive Units

There was one other vehicle (post-production) which still exists but gained a name all of it’s own - the 6x2 Chinese-Six tractive unit built by John Killingbeck affectionately named the ‘Buccaneer’

I don’t know if anyone has studied the picture of the NIT motor, but the trailer it’s coupled to is actually 50 feet long - its got 30ft and 20ft containers on it.

Incidentally, all these pictures came from Pat Kennett’s ‘World Truck Series’ book No 3 - Seddon-Atkinson.

marky:
The Northern Ireland Trailers Atkinson is a Mark II Silver Knight - not a Borderer. There was a period around 1970-71 when the names (thought up by Atkinson publicity manager Frank Whalley) were added to production vehicles.

Raider - 4x2 rigids
Searcher - 6x2 & 6x4 rigids
Defender - 8x2 & 8x4 rigids
Borderer - 4x2 Tractive Units
Leader - 6x2 Tractive Units
Venturer - 6x4 Tractive Units

There was one other vehicle (post-production) which still exists but gained a name all of it’s own - the 6x2 Chinese-Six tractive unit built by John Killingbeck affectionately named the ‘Buccaneer’

I don’t know if anyone has studied the picture of the NIT motor, but the trailer it’s coupled to is actually 50 feet long - its got 30ft and 20ft containers on it.

Incidentally, all these pictures came from Pat Kennett’s ‘World Truck Series’ book No 3 - Seddon-Atkinson.

Ah, the source of all knowledge has arrived! Sorry mate but I already explained the model designations in another post! (With the exception of Mr Killingbeck’s creation)

Now might be a good time to start posting some of your pictures - I have already enlisted the help of Mal and between us we may be able to educate the users of this forum!

I noticed your attempt at the model designations, but there were a few omissions that I thought needed including.

I have posted several pictures (current and good stuff) on other MSN group sites. I’ll post some on here soon - too much going on at the moment, so please be patient. Don’t get all lathered-up expecting chrome-fest pics - I’ve got none.

When I’ve finished my research with Tom I may be able to release some images from what I’ve accumulated - too early to say yet until we’ve spoken to the publishers.

OK - here goes…

First off is a picture of a Bow-front Atkinson 8x4 operated for the whole of it’s life by Hague Transport of Lathom in Lancashire. Originally driven by Cyril Burton, this picture shows the first Hague livery of Red and gold-leaf . This vehicle has been the source of a depicted restoration by William Hunter (W&J Hunter Transport Ltd) who retained the registration number even though the original vehcle was scrapped in the mid-sixties. The restoration has been completed in the livery of the vehicle below

Next is another Hague Transport Atkinson - this one is the first Mark I cabbed 8x4 off the production line at Winery Lane. The vehicle was originally displayed at the 1958 Commercial Motor Show with a Rolls-Royce B8 petrol engine installed. Harry Hague bought the vehicle, but it was sent back to Walton-le-Dale and a Gardner 6LW 120 replaced the Rolls unit. This vehicle was pictured when new, resplendent in the second livery of Red and Royal Crimson - replaced with the drab royal blue when the fleet was sold to W B Anderson in 1966.

Finally we have one of the first Atkinsons fitted with the second generation of glass-fibre/timber cabs - the Mark II. This particular example belonged to Thos Guy Transport of Burscough, Lancashire - less than a mile from Hagues. The sharp-eyed among you will notice the short wheelbase and round fuel tank - the early Mark IIs shared chassis configurations with Mark Is they replaced in 1967/8. The front bumper was never a standard offering - this was offered up as an option for better cooling of the recently released Gardner 6LXB 180 - which this vehicle was specified with. This vehicle was driven for the majority of it’s working life by Eric Cass on long distance work for Hattersley’s brass valve works in Ormskirk.

That’s all for now - hope you like them…

How nice of you to revive this topic with some excellent pics!

Do I have a CD with these pictures on?

No - but if you buy the book when it’s out you can have some better versions of them…

Here’s a picture of the restored VTC951 taken at the Stray, Harrogate after the Trans-Pennine Road Run in August by fellow Fifth Wheel Lorry Club member, Peter Davison

Another vehicle operated by Hagues was this LAD-cabbed Dodge, pictured by Tom Riding when new.

marky:
No - but if you buy the book when it’s out you can have some better versions of them…

What happened to complementary copies for your bestest friends in the whole wide world? (Grovel, Grovel :smiley: )

If I’m going to make any money from this venture, I can’t go giving away the profits before I’ve made them - can I?

marky:
If I’m going to make any money from this venture, I can’t go giving away the profits before I’ve made them - can I?

And here is me thinking you are in it for the love of vintage wagons :wink:

Don’t forget to check your sunday dinner on the next rally before you eat it :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :open_mouth:

Err - no-one said anything about a career change; I’m just saving the really good stuff for a book that’s all.

You got over 250 pictures from the slides - if you want some decent pictures, you’ll have to come over to Croston in November for the club do - there are always good pictures available there.

Kevin, Peter or myself will invite you as our guest if you want. Squeaky Dave is having a do at Higham in a couple of weeks - that’s a good one as well. Come along if you’re interested.

marky:
Err - no-one said anything about a career change; I’m just saving the really good stuff for a book that’s all.

You got over 250 pictures from the slides - if you want some decent pictures, you’ll have to come over to Croston in November for the club do - there are always good pictures available there.

Kevin, Peter or myself will invite you as our guest if you want. Squeaky Dave is having a do at Higham in a couple of weeks - that’s a good one as well. Come along if you’re interested.

Let me know the date nearer the time.

PS: I know you’ve been asked this a thousand times but, since when has Southport been in Lancashire? As I remind you the maps say it is in Merseyside - you’re not embarrassed to be a scouser are you?

Andy - you ever heard of the County Palatines?

They are the geographical definitions of the counties of England. Merseyside has never existed as a geographical county - it came into being as a result of the Local Government Act of 1974. It is (or as is now the case, was) an administrative area. Southport has always been in Lancashire - regardless of the political boundaries.

The people of Southport have always seen the association with the River Mersey as slightly bizarre - it’s 19 miles away. We can see Blackpool from the sea front - across the River Ribble…

Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan are all still in Lancashire as well - they are lumped together within the administrative area known as ‘Greater Manchester’ Hull is in Yorkshire - Humberside isn’t a county either.

To answer your question - I’m not from Liverpool, I was born in Ormskirk, which is in Lancashire. My wife was born in Liverpool, but as that’s also within the County Palatine of Lancashire, she’s a Lancastrian too.

Not too sure what point you’re trying to make in the face of these facts…

Just out of interest, when was the last time you called Peter Kay a Manc?

You’re starting to bite now! I knew it wouldn’t take long. Anyway that has nothing to do with this topic so we’ll save that for another day as it will probably bore the rest of the users!

I thought Peter Kay was from Bolton? (The same place as ‘Mister B’)

With an accent like that, you could never call him a ‘Manc’.