Interviews For HGV Jobs

What’s it like anything like an office job where a panel ask you competency based questions? or a quick chat over your CV and checking your license?

Do most of the jobs have a driving assessment then decide?

It varies from a five-minute chat to a half day assessment and interview.

Every company will be different but on average chat about your past, what skills you have.
They will talk about how they operate and what is expected from you.
License checks and photocopied.
On the same day a short driving assessment or come back another day.
Maybe a tachograph rules written test, multiple choice questions .
A safety check of the truck or the walk around check.
They will brief you on their health and safety rules.
A firm hand shake when you meet them.

So, i guess bigger companies with larger salaries equals more difficult interviews and assessments?

Not sure where you get the idea that you get interviewed by a panel for an office job, done a few office jobs and was only interviewed by a panel for one of them and that was a civil service job many years ago.

As for haulage Interviews as Santa said it varies , small companies it will probably be the boss, might an interview might be more an informal chat, where i used to live drivers regularly moved between the local companies so most people in the industry knew you and your reputation, so interviews were probably when can you start? or not you back again, when can you start?
large companies will have their procedures, which will probably be an interview with a manager followed by an assessment with the trainer, but the procedure probably has less to do with money and more to do with the fact they have the staff to do the assessments.
I did a temp driving job, where before i got it I was interviewed by the agency and then with the manager of the transport operation.

My last car transporter job was a chat with the union convenor who let the company know i was starting.

Over the years i’ve been interviewed by bosses, transport managers, ops manager, depot managers, and in one case by the assessor who also had the power of recruitment.

My present job required a CV to be submitted, that was a first for me.

Well talking from the position of one driving job interview. It was a written test on regs, maths and accuracy.

Interview with a TM which was questions but mostly detail on the job.

Back next week for a driving assessment.

Every other job I’ve applied to in the last few years has involved some form of test in addition to interview. Only two jobs I’ve gone for had a panel of interviewers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Firms are crying out for good drivers, for every good driver there are 20 wastes of space.

I know my firm are always wanting drivers, but I pulled into our yard with my cv, I had a short informal interview, well more of a 20 minute chat, I didn’t even get a driving asessment (that they usually always do) as he looked out of the window and saw a left ■■■■■■ with a Moffit/kooiap on the back, his theory was that if I was driving that in this country I must be able to drive, I could have been totally crap for all he knew. :unamused:

Job before that was offered over the phone as it was a crap firm with high driver turnover (Harry Vos) :imp:

Job before that was a selection interview, very formal, I got the only job on offer out of a lot of candidates…because I’m worth it. :sunglasses: :laughing:
Or maybe just lucky. :smiley:

So, is the driving assessment anything like your driving exam?

I just had a chat with the General Manager on a Friday started work on a Monday. No assessment. Still in the job several months later.
I like the lack of HR crap that is becoming all too common with most jobs.

Braveheart2009:

It varies, the sensible assessor and company is looking for competence, vehicle handling and control, good practice and observation, good road placement, a safe drive where the assessor can relax because the vehicle is under the control of a driver, will probably be a maneuver or two nothing intricate but a demonstration of care and accuracy will go a long way.

At the other extreme are box tickers who think they are driving gods (got a bit of power and getting off on it), likely to put more importance on the vehicle check round and theory than the actual drive, the pedants i’ve known like this sometimes represent companies where the job isn’t anything to write home about.

Various themes on the above, most assessors are ok, don’t act like an idiot tailgate or belt through 30 limits on the limiter and you’ll usually be fine.

Only had one assessment drive and that was with DHL years ago, drove a rigid to a local customer and back and that was it.

Where I am now they didn’t even ask to see my licence before I was off to Budapest on my first day :laughing: Admittedly I was following two other drivers so im guessing they decided it would be simple enough. That’s why family firms are best.

We nearly always only take drivers on recommendation and we just have a chat. We only do driving assessment if you have no experience. As we do a fair bit of double man work, we hear within 2,weeks from the other drivers if there are any issues.

I got my first tanker job (outbased) and I never even spoke to the boss, it was all arranged over email with one short phone call.
Also I’ve never been asked for a CV.
The latest job me and another guy are running an outsourced wagon so we went to the bosses house for a nice chat.
It varies from boss to boss.

Braveheart2009:

Last one I did involved hooking up a trailer, going out on a 20 minute drive, dropping the trailer and uncoupling. There was also a written test on tacho, WTD and Highway Code.

No need to drive like you are on your test but they’ll be looking for safety, good observation, that you don’t rag the hell out the truck in every gear and when coupling up/dropping off you do it properly.

Braveheart2009:

The agency I work for once tried to place me on an assignment where I would be required to do a driving assessment, I refused to do it.

I had my driving assessment in 1986 and I passed it and if that’s not good enough for them then they can go find somebody else.

I have only had one job-related driving assessment in my life, and I failed it because I didn’t show sufficient interest in the assessor’s obvious enthusiasm for having paid ■■■ with ladyboys in Thailand, from where he had returned just a few hours before the assessment, and about which he constantly wanted to talk. I’m not very good at hiding any of my emotions, least of all disgust. :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on the size of the company, informal chat with questions related to you’re experience, previous employers work history common sense stuff if its a small outfit.

To the other end of the scale when it takes half a day and they give you a one to one a group interview, one of mine involved a group test with a scenario of being marooned on a small boat with a list of items and what you would do with them, a radio, a mirror a ball of string that sort of stupidity.

Then out with a failed manager/ex bus driver/warehouse operative/general know it all *delete where applicable.

Look in the mirrors till it makes you’re neck hurt, if if you really want the job get out and check the fifth wheel height before coupling, at this point the trainer/assessor will ■■■■■■■■■ in his pants and offer you the job before making a same ■■■ marriage proposal.

Harry Monk:
The agency I work for once tried to place me on an assignment where I would be required to do a driving assessment, I refused to do it.

I had my driving assessment in 1986 and I passed it and if that’s not good enough for them then they can go find somebody else.

So between 1986 and now it’s not possible you’ve picked up bad habits?

I don’t see it as an insult that an employer wants to ensure you’re safe behind the wheel and not a ■■■■■■■ liability that’ll cost them money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Course if you see a driver facing camera in the cab just abandon the bloody lorry/interview/assessment tell 'em to stick it where the sun don’t shine and bugger off.

The shortest assessment i had was on Kwik Save, literally a whizz round the industrial estate, chap said he could tell if someone was a driver after two or three roundabouts with a strange vehicle, can’t really argue with that, you know yourself within a mile or two as a passenger if you feel safe, same thing.

Our place are pretty informal, turn up in shorts /trainers and T shirt and they wouldnt bat an eyelid, only requirement is experience and lots of it. You’ll be given a top spec truck either Ovlov or Scania and expected to look after it but as long as you get the job done and willing to go the extra mile they;ll leave the drivers totally alone. Theres no driving assessment.