Second Interview

Hi all, I have a second interview this week (panel interview)

Any idea as to what type of questions they’ll ask? I think it’s a bit strict to have a second and possibly a third interview for a HGV driver, I thought I smashed the first interview.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Panel interview for a bloody lorry driving job?, what the hell job have you applied for :open_mouth: or are the mob you’re applying to taking themselves a bit too seriously :unamused:

[emoji23] It’s long distance, and a couple of nights tramping but yeah seems a bit much just to drive a truck!

Would this be for the country’s favourite haulier.

All that beau locks and probably £8.50 an hour £18 nights out and no parking. All because they have too many managers panel interviewing truck drivers. Sheesh

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

had an interview a few years ago,the Ad said HGV CLASS 1 driver required,when I got to the interview there were two blokes,turns out it was a race car company,they asked if I knew anything about electrics,i replied not really,then said what about mechanical experience,i said I get by with repairs to my car,then it was how would you feel about taking orders from a woman,they explained in between driving and setting up I would be expected to help on catering,waiting on customers and so on,they then said what do you think of the job,this was my reply ‘‘I believe you have wasted my time and yours,you advertised for a HGV CLASS 1 driver,that was all it said,seems to me you want a qualified mechanic,electrician,and general dogsbody,not for me,bye bye’’ got up and walked out

Are you talking about a run of the mill driving job or something that requires abit more savvy and is abit more involved.
Could be the job involves working with different departments of the Company and they dont want a dimwit driver who cant think for himself

lolipop:
Are you talking about a run of the mill driving job or something that requires abit more savvy and is abit more involved.
Could be the job involves working with different departments of the Company and they dont want a dimwit driver who cant think for himself

That would narrow it down considerably

It could be a company that’s fed up with taking on complete monkeys so wanna make sure they get the right guy this time!
So, that rules them out as being one of the ‘blue chip’ companies that will take anything that can just about breath unaided [emoji57]

They’re only a small company that are growing fast, I’d rather not say who it is, the salary and bonuses what’s on offer are excellent which is why they’re so stringent probably.

Back to my original question, what is to be expected in a panel interview? I thought I pretty much covered everything in the first interview.

Cheers.

nomiS36:
It could be a company that’s fed up with taking on complete monkeys.

That rules Stobbies out then. :smiley:

Panel interviews are usually used so that you can get multiple perspectives on a particular candidate. I’ve had them before where I’ve had three individual meetings with directors (same day) and then a group ‘chat’. Usually, you have a first-round culling and then people you are taking seriously get the ‘investment’ of time to be taken seriously in this way.

Fundamentally they will just want to know if you can do the job, if you are the right fit for the company - and that you really want to work there.

Talk about your experience as a driver to show you can do the job. Give examples of your professionalism (make them up if needed) pointing out where you’d done something exceptional to get the job done properly. I’d probably wear a suit for this level of interview - if they are making you jump through these hoops it’s obviously what they want. But I’d judge it on how they dress really. If they wear a tie you should in this situation.

In terms of company fit - you want to appear confident, relaxed and level headed. Someone who can be relied upon. I’d throw in plenty of examples of teamwork (say you play a team sport etc…) give examples of your own time management etc… Don’t come across as arrogant. But definitely, aim to be confidence. It’s hard to believe in someone who doesn’t believe in themselves.

Finally they will inevitably ask you if you have any questions at the end. Do not interupt them with your questions before this. They will have a list of questions they want answering. However this is the chance you have to show them how much you want to work for. Ask about when they want someone to start. And IF you have the balls the last questions should be: ‘is there any reason I’m not perfect for this role?’. It’s great because it gives you a chance to iron out any doubts before you leave the room and most people won’t have the balls to do it and it will make you stand out.

Good luck with the interview. And feel free to ignore my ‘advice’ it works for me - and has done in different fields.

You probably will get some role play nonsense on what you would do in certain situations I would guess. They probably just want to suss you out on how you handle yourself and come across. Or they are fresh out of uni and full of crap.

Phrases to remember ( revised 2018)

I’ll get there when I get there
I don’t give a flying fark I’m coming back to the yard
You can fark off
Well that’s how I do it.
I’m not waiting any longer they can fark off.

Biglew74:
They’re only a small company that are growing fast, I’d rather not say who it is, the salary and bonuses what’s on offer are excellent which is why they’re so stringent probably.

Back to my original question, what is to be expected in a panel interview? I thought I pretty much covered everything in the first interview.

Cheers.

It will probably be a lot of the same stuff you have covered but now you have been “filtered” the bigger bosses want to meet and get an impression about you

sammym:
Panel interviews are usually used so that you can get multiple perspectives on a particular candidate. I’ve had them before where I’ve had three individual meetings with directors (same day) and then a group ‘chat’. Usually, you have a first-round culling and then people you are taking seriously get the ‘investment’ of time to be taken seriously in this way.

Fundamentally they will just want to know if you can do the job, if you are the right fit for the company - and that you really want to work there.

Talk about your experience as a driver to show you can do the job. Give examples of your professionalism (make them up if needed) pointing out where you’d done something exceptional to get the job done properly. I’d probably wear a suit for this level of interview - if they are making you jump through these hoops it’s obviously what they want. But I’d judge it on how they dress really. If they wear a tie you should in this situation.

In terms of company fit - you want to appear confident, relaxed and level headed. Someone who can be relied upon. I’d throw in plenty of examples of teamwork (say you play a team sport etc…) give examples of your own time management etc… Don’t come across as arrogant. But definitely, aim to be confidence. It’s hard to believe in someone who doesn’t believe in themselves.

Finally they will inevitably ask you if you have any questions at the end. Do not interupt them with your questions before this. They will have a list of questions they want answering. However this is the chance you have to show them how much you want to work for. Ask about when they want someone to start. And IF you have the balls the last questions should be: ‘is there any reason I’m not perfect for this role?’. It’s great because it gives you a chance to iron out any doubts before you leave the room and most people won’t have the balls to do it and it will make you stand out.

Good luck with the interview. And feel free to ignore my ‘advice’ it works for me - and has done in different fields.

Yeh ok mate, but at the end of the day it’s to drive a ■■■■ truck :bulb: not to become the Queen’s personal chauffer/bodyguard.

It would have to be a bloody well paid second to none driving job with near hand perfect t.s and c.s with lots of perks and bonuses for me to jump through ■■■■ hoops like that to that level…and wear a suit.! :open_mouth:

It will be more likely some up their own arse type firm with illusions of grandeur who consider themselves elite, but in reality are just like every other haulage outfit who want the last drop of blood out of you for twopence an hour.

Hope for the o/p I’m wrong, but Good luck anyway with it.

robroy:
Yeh ok mate, but at the end of the day it’s to drive a [zb] truck :bulb: not to become the Queen’s personal chauffer/bodyguard.

It would have to be a bloody well paid second to none driving job with near hand perfect t.s and c.s with lots of perks and bonuses for me to jump through [zb] hoops like that to that level…and wear a suit.! :open_mouth:

It will be more likely some up their own arse type firm with illusions of grandeur who consider themselves elite, but in reality are just like every other haulage outfit who want the last drop of blood out of you for twopence an hour.

Hope for the o/p I’m wrong, but Good luck anyway with it.

Totally agree with you mate. But obviously, the bloke wants the job and asked for advice so it’s worth it for him. I’ve done panel interviews from both sides of the table and was trying to help him out. Wouldn’t be worth it for me and you, but for him it might be a great opportunity.

I find it a chore having to fill out agency questionnaires asking me how long before I need a 45 break. But when I applied for my PhD which is partly sponsored by a company from industry I had to do the following: initial emails asking about it, CV, fill in official application forms, then informal interview at the University involving being shown around for half a day (300 mile round trip), followed by formal panel interview with different professors, then interview at company HQ (200 mile trip) to then have 2 separate interviews with different managers. All for a salary off… £18k. Which is less than 1/3rd of the job I left.

To me it’s worth it. I’m happy. I also do a bit of truck driving - and my other income is tax free. So I can effectively earn £30k before I pay tax. So it’s not too bad really. And it’s nice to wake up in the morning knowing you enjoy what you do.

The best driving jobs with the best pay and terms and conditions are with companies that don’t make their money from haulage, i.e companies who make stuff and run their own wagons.

What that means though is that the interview process won’t be one from the 1960s like it is with haulage and will be one done in the way that modern successful blue chip companies with working practices fit for the 21st Century not the 19th use. If you’d rather have them from the 1960s and not this type of interview process then fine but don’t expect to get a job with decent companies who don’t use employment practices in play when Victoria was on the throne.

Conor:
The best driving jobs with the best pay and terms and conditions are with companies that don’t make their money from haulage, i.e companies who make stuff and run their own wagons.

What that means though is that the interview process won’t be one from the 1960s like it is with haulage and will be one done in the way that modern successful blue chip companies with working practices fit for the 21st Century not the 19th use. If you’d rather have them from the 1960s and not this type of interview process then fine but don’t expect to get a job with decent companies who don’t use employment practices in play when Victoria was on the throne.

No good for me then Conor eh ?..robRoy Rogers. :smiley:

Thanks all, some great advice!

This company does manufacture their own goods, just moved into a brand new multi million pound premises, a fleet of 30 odd new vehicles, I want to get in because the job I’m in now is going downhill fast and I’m getting sick of breaking down everyday.

Cheers

Biglew74:
Thanks all, some great advice!

This company does manufacture their own goods, just moved into a brand new multi million pound premises, a fleet of 30 odd new vehicles, I want to get in because the job I’m in now is going downhill fast and I’m getting sick of breaking down everyday.

Cheers

Go for it then mate.
As our resident ‘‘Fountain of All knowledge’’ aka Conor says :smiley: , own account work is a step above any haulage outfit, usually with much superior t.s and c.s, and likely on par with their factory workers, …40 hours plus time and a half is a likely example.
So dig out the best Hugo Boss after all mate, and good luck. :smiley: