advice on job interview

hi guys,
as the title suggests I have my first job interview tomorrow for a driving job, I passed my class 2 in December so I have just started looking. applied to a few places and have an interview with a general haulage company to do class 2 work.
not been for a job interview in 8 years which was for my current job and my previous jobs before that never required interviews, it was always a case of turn up and we will try you out.
so I am just looking for a bit of advice on what to expect

• what will we be talking about
  • personal qualities I need tell them about
  • when am I likely to have a driving assessment if I pass the interview
  • on the assessment will I use my tacho card
  • will I need to demonstrate a walk around check before we go out
  • any other advice I may find useful
    I am confident i can make a good impression but I am trying to know as much as I can so I am properly prepared so any advice would be greatly appreciated. drivers I have spoken to while going in for my training and looking for jobs have been really helpful so I wanted to pick your brains.

ps if anyone is gonna reply with a funny comment please use your imaginations and come up with something original, rather than “don’t do it”

You just posted the same in the main forum…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134563

Don’t be greedy! :laughing:

Don’t know what they’ll talk about really depends if it a big logistics operation with a proper HR procedure or a small haulage company and you’re chatting with the boss.
If they know you new to this then be honest, as they wouldn’t have asked you for an interview if they weren’t aware they’d have to “break” you in so to speak.
If you’ve told them you’ve done finished doing a Middle East runs, missed the Ferry, etc, then just keep up the BS and if you good at it you’ll get the job. :laughing:
I assume at one point they cover the type of work they do,
What expected of you, in terms of hours etc.
Money

If you go for an assessment drive, do the vehicle checks. It’s required and if you don’t do it in front of them then they might not think you’ll do it when on your own.
Again if they know you’re new and you’re unsure during checks or the drive, then ask. If you’re bluffing about experience, just say you’re not used to that type of truck as you’ve just sold your ERF with the Eaton Twin Splitter after coming back from the Middle East as there is no money left in it.

evil I wasn’t sure if I was ok posting it on the other forum so thought id pop it on here aswell.

muckles I have been honest with them from the beginning as that the best way because I’m no good lying lol. its not a massive company but not a small one, my interview is with the tm not a boss. they know I’m new with no previous experience so I have tried to highlight some of my other good points in my cv and email to the tm who will be interviewing me. I have a cheat sheet for daily checks so I will take that with me just in case as it will show them I have come prepared if I get a assessment

Interviews are a nightmare at times

Just be yourself, best way imo

paddy1882:
evil I wasn’t sure if I was ok posting it on the other forum so thought id pop it on here aswell.

No worries, I half posted my comment so I could put a link to the main forum for Newbies only looking here to see! :smiley:

Cheers evil i thought there will be other new guys like me with the same questions. So hopefully its not just me this is helping. Just not someone else going for the same job

paddy1882:
muckles I have been honest with them from the beginning as that the best way because I’m no good lying lol. its not a massive company but not a small one, my interview is with the tm not a boss. they know I’m new with no previous experience so I have tried to highlight some of my other good points in my cv and email to the tm who will be interviewing me. I have a cheat sheet for daily checks so I will take that with me just in case as it will show them I have come prepared if I get a assessment

As they know you’re a new driver, and they’ve asked you for an interview I hope they’d be willing to make allowances for that,
I think what they’d want is:
Somebody who’ll turn up for work.
Who’ll listen to what they’ve been asked to do.
Who’ll look after the truck and equipment.
Somebody who won’t upset their customers.

And what you want is
to be paid in full and on time.
to be treated properly.
for them to understand that you won’t go straight out and get round as quick as an experienced driver.

hi guys, thanks for all the help. just wanted to let you know I got the job. I start on the 15th

Well done pal, nice one! :smiley:

Well done mate. Hope you managed to get all the info you needed off them, it’s amazing what you forget to ask until you get home!