Driving Assessments

Might have a chance with a local company, had a brief interview after handing in my application, seemed quite positive towards newer drivers. Depending on what the insurance comes back as etc I might get an assessment.

What are assessments geared towards usually? Seeing if I have any bad habits or that I’m still driving at test standard? Something along those lines?

General safe driving and competence

If you do not know something they expect you to ask and not try to blag it

Thanks for your reply, should I treat it exactly like the driving test?

DJC:
Thanks for your reply, should I treat it exactly like the driving test?

Not really, its more relaxed than that

The DSA look for procedures a lot whereas a safe driving assessor will be happy as long as they can see that you know whats going on around you

They will want to see a demonstration of fuel efficient practices :exclamation:

Assessments vary, if its a real honest to goodness haulier with a lorry driver assessor then he’ll want to see you in charge of the lorry, not the other way round.

If its a logistics operation with a full time assessor/trainer then a lot of emphasis is placed on the pre drive checks, i’ve had competent mates with 40 years lorry experience failing logistics assessments due to missing a bloody box tick on the check sheet, these blokes could drive lorries fast asleep.

Judge the assessor at the time, if he’s all box ticks and bullshine then give him plenty to muse over, if he only wants a talk through of checks and coupling procedures and gets straight down to driving then chances are he wants to see a competent in control safe drive, the driving competence geezer will probably want you to perform a blind side so practice those every chance you get.

Make sure that you do your pre drive checks before taking it out on the road. Have heard of people failing assessments straight from away for not doing this. Your responsible for the vehicle and the load so make sure your happy first.

They will want to see your compotent with the tachograph, you don’t harshly accelerate and break, and forward planning to obstacles.

In my experience of assesments the pre trip checks are closley montored. do alright with them and nothing daft whle out on the road an you will be fine, dont feel its a test as thats when nerves creep in an mistakes are made. he wont be sat there with a clipboard while your driving i shouldnt think so keep it relaxed. your not under a test,the guy just wants to see that you can drive the wagon safely. you did the hard bit by passing your test and he should know that, after all you wouldnt have a licence if you couldnt drive.
The assesors are generally ex driver with years of experience so if your not sure,ask. he will keep you right and i imagine its better to ask someone with experience as it will show him your not afraid of help.

Thanks for all the help. Think it’ll come in real handy :slight_smile:

Is it common practice to be asked to read out say the last 3 road signs passed, etc?

Also, would it be ok to bring a sheet with daily checks on?

From memory I have:

Tyre tread (1mm over ¾ width)
Check between rear axles for half bricks etc.
Wheel nuts (signs of obvious movement/wheel nut indicators)
Suspension (sign of obvious deterioration)
Lights (Check ALL lights, marker lights, fog lights etc)
Height indicator (if there isn’t one, measure it)
Windscreen (Cracks/chips)
Windscreen wipers and washer level (Damage to blades)
Tax disc
O License
Speed limiter certificate
Tacho service sticker
VI Plate
Steps & Handles (Security)
Door handles (Security)
Warning lights (out when engine on)
Exhaust (excessive smoke)
Crash bar security
Air pressure
Rolling brake test
Mirrors (Clean and adjusted correctly)
Horn
Oil level
Seat & Seatbelt
Steering (PAS Works when ign on)
Rear door (check it’s closed and check if empty/loaded)
Cab locking mechanism (Check if locked)

Is there any more that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

is truck sitting level? if not why not, one i have been asked

Added to my list, do you think I would be permitted to use a sheet?