HUNGARO SATNAV.

Well,…

Update.

A HUNGARIAN lorry driver who crashed his HGV in Colchester’s Dutch Quarter has been fined.

Daniel Gyongyosi, 47, was following sat nav instructions telling him to travel along St Helen’s Lane when the vehicle crashed into a house.

This afternoon he was fined £120 ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 surcharge, for which he only has to pay £40 because of time spent in police custody, at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

Six penalty points were also added to his licence.

See tomorrow’s Gazette for the full story.

This is the full report;

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … stake.html

How can they award penalty points to a hungarian license

Dvla opens up a file on him here and hold the points on that file
if you in the uk for over six months i think it is on a foreign licence you have to notify dvla and they will set up like a counterpart to your foreign licence and when you get points etc while in the uk they are put on this file.
you dont need to surrender your foreign licence as long as you notify dvla

Knob.

Thanks to the Daily Mail the public now knows what a “jack knife” looks like :smiley:

We could just cut his hands off maybe then you will all be satisfied

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -lane.html

Off the topic,kind of,but driving in Italy is a nightmare,low hanging flower baskets from old houses,balconies,and so on,in rural areas,you can end up jammed in village very easily,the signs over there do not correspond to the road map,forget the sat nav,it will send you down a foot path over there.
A lady in her car flagged me down to tell me,if i went on i would be stuck,the only other option was a small lane that went up to a mountain pass with a weight limit,or reverse to turn around in a small farm,the farm it was,but i tore off some lights on the tractor unit.
The uk driver that got stuck in Cornwall,photos of the trailer being hoisted up in the air made the news,he was following his nan nav,think it was Mortimers.

This isn’t far from me I know that area quite well my guess is the sat nav got confused when he was on the high street so it done what they always do and sent him up a side road to turn round thinking he was in a car. You just got to use abit of common sense if sat nav says turn right and the road looks tight then you carry on straight and wait for it to recalculate it ain’t rocket science. I have been a passenger before in someone’s car the sat nav has said turn left and they turned left without even noticing it was a dead end road. There good things with the right brain using them, you just got to be one step ahead and never rely on them

newmercman:
That is just ridiculous, why would you even attempt to get around a corner as tight as that :unamused:

I find it worrying that almost every video/picture you see of a lorry in this situation is of Eastern European origin :open_mouth:

Hungarians used to be true Knight’s of the road back in the Hungarocamion days, not so true today though it would seem :unamused:

I have an idea :bulb:

In the old days the Commie regimes had them so scared that they wouldn’t dare damage their lorry, they also had a ‘comrade’ riding along to make sure they behaved themselves, so when they arrive at Dover, pull them over, take them into a little room and get the Old Bill to give em a bloody good hiding, then send an unemployed yobbo out with them until they leave the country again, this will solve four problems, first they won’t want to come here in the first place, two, they’ll be too scared to hit anything, three, with the constant fear of a slap from their cab sharing yobbo, they’ll want to [zb] off sharpish, instead of staying in the UK and carving the job up as they work for peanuts and finally it gets a yobbo off the streets :smiling_imp:

When I commented on something similar on another thread a while back , I was called a racist ■■■■■■■■ and I was told ( by some kid) that the country could not survive without foreign drivers, I totally agree now, you need the foreign drivers to supply the foreign nationals with their brand of goods. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Update; it happened again yesterday!

gazette-news.co.uk/news/1958 … in/?ref=ms

To get into that situation ( google it up) you have to enter St.Peters St. Which has a small sign each side of the road with a 32’ limit. Then you go to the end & turn right up a steep narrow hill which is Maidenburgh St. When you get almost to the top its pedestrianised & steel bollards block traffic. The only escape is a turning to the right into St.Helens Lane & then its the crunch right turn into East Stockwell St. If you ever get into that labyrinth ,go straight up Maidenburgh St. & wait for police or council to unlock & remove the bollards.Then your escape route is the High St.after going the final few yards on the wrong one-way stretch of M/Burgh St.

keebs26uk:
This isn’t far from me I know that area quite well my guess is the sat nav got confused when he was on the high street so it done what they always do and sent him up a side road to turn round thinking he was in a car. You just got to use abit of common sense if sat nav says turn right and the road looks tight then you carry on straight and wait for it to recalculate it ain’t rocket science. I have been a passenger before in someone’s car the sat nav has said turn left and they turned left without even noticing it was a dead end road. There good things with the right brain using them, you just got to be one step ahead and never rely on them

He was loaded for Waitrose ,St Andrews Avenue,which is on the main A133 nowhere near the High St.

harry:
Update; it happened again yesterday!

gazette-news.co.uk/news/1958 … in/?ref=ms

To get into that situation ( google it up) you have to enter St.Peters St. Which has a small sign each side of the road with a 32’ limit. Then you go to the end & turn right up a steep narrow hill which is Maidenburgh St. When you get almost to the top its pedestrianised & steel bollards block traffic. The only escape is a turning to the right into St.Helens Lane & then its the crunch right turn into East Stockwell St. If you ever get into that labyrinth ,go straight up Maidenburgh St. & wait for police or council to unlock & remove the bollards.Then your escape route is the High St.after going the final few yards on the wrong one-way stretch of M/Burgh St.

Would it really hurt to put the metric measurement on the sign aswell?

I just checked,they have moved the sign to the left hand side on the entrance to St.Peters St. its cab height ,quite big on a blue background & its stated clearly in feet & metres.

harry:
I just checked,they have moved the sign to the left hand side on the entrance to St.Peters St. its cab height ,quite big on a blue background & its stated clearly in feet & metres.

That’s good, I really don’t understand why we haven’t got more sign in meters, it would help me at the very least. All the height measurements on my truck are metric. 1250mm fifth wheel another with a 1150mm fifth wheel. And trailers that will be 4m or just above depending on which unit they are hooked up to.
Like probably most of this Country now, considering I started school in 1969, I was educated in the metric system.

muckles:

harry:

That’s good, I really don’t understand why we haven’t got more sign in meters, it would help me at the very least. All the height measurements on my truck are metric. 1250mm fifth wheel another with a 1150mm fifth wheel. And trailers that will be 4m or just above depending on which unit they are hooked up to.
Like probably most of this Country now, considering I started school in 1969, I was educated in the metric system.

I need measurements in feet and inches i just can’t visulize the height if it is in meters :blush:

4whatitsworth:

muckles:

harry:

I need measurements in feet and inches i just can’t visulize the height if it is in meters :blush:

I’ve no problem with seeing signs with both metric and imperial.

harry:

keebs26uk:

He was loaded for Waitrose ,St Andrews Avenue,which is on the main A133 nowhere near the High St.

He was no where near Waitrose but near the High Street was what I was stating