Turn your standard SatNavs in

“Local authority leaders have called for an outright ban on HGV drivers using standard Sat Navs as large vehicles continue to damage bridges & cause havoc on local roads” transport-network.co.uk/Sto … -say/17789

thing is the hgv tom tom i had would suggest a road that for some reason i couldnt or didnt want to take (parked cars blocking it or what ever) The sat nave would then spend the next 5 mins trying to route you up any road possible to turn you around to get back onto the origonal suggestion.

Cant say about garmin as i dont do that kind of work or london anymore

Absolute crap, every mobile phone has a sat nav built in.
I have never used a truckers sat nav and never will.

There are many bridges that could do with much better signage, perhaps councils should think about that? :bulb:

lancpudn:
“Local authority leaders have called for an outright ban on HGV drivers using standard Sat Navs as large vehicles continue to damage bridges & cause havoc on local roads” transport-network.co.uk/Sto … -say/17789

Well ‘‘Local Authority’’ can go and ■■■■ right off and shove their ideas right up their collective arses.
So are they also saying that if you don’t use a sat nav at all that is against their rules also?
It’s only the last 10 years or so since I actually started to use them,.I’m sure other drivers who know what they are doing are in the same boat today.
Thing is it’s got the far end of f all to do with car sat navs being the CAUSE of drivers coming unstuck on back roads and low bridges, it’s the incompetent inept,.and it’s those who follow sat navs blindly and who coukdn t possibly leave the yard without one those are the causes. :unamused:

Ok so I play along and go out and ■■■■ up 300 quid…‘‘to keep me away from unsuitable rural roads’’ :unamused:
What do I tell the farmers in rural Devon, Cornwall,.Dorset and Somerset when I can’t deliver their stuff.
‘‘Sorry mate no can do…sat nav says no’’

Instead of all this seeing to be doing the right thing with no real substance bollicks, solve the real problems, sort out driver training at grass roots level, sort out selection and calibre of driver when they apply for a licence…
In other words go for the actual disease rather than a potential perceived symptom. :bulb:

There is a section of independent driving in the current driving test whereby you have to find your way to a designated place without the examiner directing you.
So maybe it’s all the old timers that are hitting bridges and getting stuck up country lanes? [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

stu675:
There is a section of independent driving in the current driving test whereby you have to find your way to a designated place without the examiner directing you.
So maybe it’s all the old timers that are hitting bridges and getting stuck up country lanes? [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Don’t think so not learned to drive without satnavs used my eyes my maps and knowledge of other drivers

keepthefaith:

stu675:

Don’t think so not learned to drive without satnavs used my eyes my maps and knowledge of other drivers

robroy:

lancpudn:

Well ‘‘Local Authority’’ can go and [zb] right off and shove their ideas right up their collective arses.
So are they also saying that if you don’t use a sat nav at all that is against their rules also?
It’s only the last 10 years or so since I actually started to use them,.I’m sure other drivers who know what they are doing are in the same boat today.
Thing is it’s got the far end of f all to do with car sat navs being the CAUSE of drivers coming unstuck on back roads and low bridges, it’s the incompetent inept,.and it’s those who follow sat navs blindly and who coukdn t possibly leave the yard without one those are the causes. :unamused:

Ok so I play along and go out and ■■■■ up 300 quid…‘‘to keep me away from unsuitable rural roads’’ :unamused:
What do I tell the farmers in rural Devon, Cornwall,.Dorset and Somerset when I can’t deliver their stuff.
‘‘Sorry mate no can do…sat nav says no’’

Instead of all this seeing to be doing the right thing with no real substance bollicks, solve the real problems, sort out driver training at grass roots level, sort out selection and calibre of driver when they apply for a licence…
In other words go for the actual disease rather than a potential perceived symptom. :bulb:

All those new powers the government gave to all local authorities to fine motorist for moving traffic violations must have gone to their heads. walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-n … e-24083234

Quote on that link…
‘‘But some fear they will see it as a cash cow’’

Only SOME ■■ :unamused:
That is how it is with 99% of traffic laws and restrictions nowadays .money making using road safety as an excuse and justification.

Perhaps if local authorities signed bridges properly they’d have less of an issue. Take the one on the B6079 that runs from Retford to Worksop at Ranby.

google.co.uk/maps/@53.31504 … 025,16.29z

The bridge is actually the A1 going overhead and is 15ft 9in. There is no signage at all on any of the junction signs on the A1, either north or southbound, to tell you there’s a low bridge. If you’re heading northbound and get off the end of the sliproad is a T junction. On that T junction sign there’s a sign telling you there’s a low bridge if you’re turning right to Worksop but nothing telling you there’s one if you turn left and it’s literally 100 yards after you turn left onto the B6079 to go to Retford. They’ve put a sign on the B6079 but it’s actually AFTER the sliproad once you’ve turned left and it was hidden by trees. That was fun when I found that one when towing a 16ft 3in trailer trying to reverse up the main road from Worksop to Retford in the middle of morning rush hour so I could go back up the sliproad.

Before sat navs…trucks still hit bridges…go look, they’re in google

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

Inept drivers may be part of it, but drivers are put under pressure by companies and given unrealistic timings, which all leads to a more stressed out driver, where these things are more likely to happen.

I don’t like the arse covering that a lot of companies do by a) not providing a truck sat nav and b) stating that it is company policy that any sat nav in use must be a truck one (while turning a blind eye to the car sat navs clearly visible in the trucks).

Clearly if anything happens, the company can say, well the driver was acting in contravention of company policy, we didn’t know anything about it.

Then said company will send a driver out in an area he/she doesn’t know doing multidrop with timings that Nigel Mansell would have difficulty keeping to.

Noremac:
Inept drivers may be part of it, but drivers are put under pressure by companies and given unrealistic timings, which all leads to a more stressed out driver, where these things are more likely to happen.

I don’t like the arse covering that a lot of companies do by a) not providing a truck sat nav and b) stating that it is company policy that any sat nav in use must be a truck one (while turning a blind eye to the car sat navs clearly visible in the trucks).

Clearly if anything happens, the company can say, well the driver was acting in contravention of company policy, we didn’t know anything about it.

Then said company will send a driver out in an area he/she doesn’t know doing multidrop with timings that Nigel Mansell would have difficulty keeping to.

Thing is mate, despite popular opinion there is nothing wrong with using a car sat nav.
You use it as a guide (as ALL.sat navs should be) and alongside another method as back up…map, Google earth etc.
Oh yeh and a bit of initiative and a brain.
I use mine on many marked up 'unsuitable for HGV ‘’ roads in order to do my job, and up to now been fine,. except for a couple of occasions that were not really down to a sat nav., but I managed to get around them.anyway.
Maybe apart from an incident with a 7 and half weight limit bridge last week. :blush: :laughing:

How the hell are employed drivers going to afford a lorry sat nav , there about £400 & that’s a weeks wages for them

Around London, there are a number of flashing “overheight - turn back” boards, such as those around the south circular.

These signs however, flash up when you’re nowhere NEAR that height, meaning everyone just routinely ignores them, as they keep throwing up “false positives”.
Approaching Lewisham from the South, and the A205 near Forest Hill are good examples of that.

Maybe it is time for bridge warning signs to be put next to the last “escape route” AND in four different languages so there’s no mistake.
The approach to the Tulse Hill bridge - would be a good example of that.

Low Bridge1.jpg

“Feet and Inches” simply isn’t eye-catching enough for someone who’s been brought up on “Meters Only” as well, even when the meters height is actually on the sign right next to it.

Even then, we should all be careful when going down an unfamillar road, as there’s also the additional risk of “sign hidden behind tree growth” or even “no sign at all” - lest you come up with the situation another user on here posted a few months back…

(post here)
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … r#p2826146

robroy:
Thing is mate, despite popular opinion there is nothing wrong with using a car sat nav.
You use it as a guide (as ALL.sat navs should be) and alongside another method as back up…map, Google earth etc.
Oh yeh and a bit of initiative and a brain.
I use mine on many marked up 'unsuitable for HGV ‘’ roads in order to do my job, and up to now been fine,. except for a couple of occasions that were not really down to a sat nav., but I managed to get around them.anyway.
Maybe apart from an incident with a 7 and half weight limit bridge last week.

I understand where you are coming from and indeed I have used a car sat nav in a large vehicle and in fact have never bought a truck sat nav, only used a truck app. I first used a satnav at all around 9 years ago and only because someone bought me it (wasn’t driving for a living at the time though).

I think perhaps for those doing car to artic and with the number of vehicles on the road and the pressure being put on, I wouldn’t blame a new driver for wanting the comfort blanket of knowing that situations aren’t going to arise. This is why I would like to see the option there in the cab (provided by the company) of a truck sat nav.

The old hands out there possibly forget that all that knowledge they have built up over the years isn’t something new drivers have. Some new drivers possibly haven’t been out of their local area much in their lives. At the end of the day the roads are not like they were when I was young, never mind when the old hands started driving. I reckon the timings given these days don’t allow for getting the map out and spending 30 minutes planning, companies want you out the gate quick smart.

Noremac:
I reckon the timings given these days don’t allow for getting the map out and spending 30 minutes planning, companies want you out the gate quick smart.

I make you dead right with that ^^^^ thing is though this is where drivers are their own worst enemies, chasing and often succeeding with the impossible.

I understand totally that a new driver whether he/she be agency or F/T will initially try to impress and that’s understandable. However once a driver has proved him/herself capable of delivering tat without flattening suburbia or killing sixteen nuns armed with kittens then he/she becomes a valuable commodity in the eyes of the T.O and consequently gets cut the slack they deserve.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been handed a sheaf of delivery notes only to proclaim “who TF planned this cluster ■■■■?” I then say something along the lines of “A,B and C will happen, but D and E will not”. This isn’t me being bolshy, on the contrary it’s me giving the benefit of my experience. Invariably I’m proved correct and guess what happens? Yup, nothing at all because they knew from the get go that they were taking the ■■■■.

Sat Navs for cars are great for finding places you dont really know, I do a lot of farm deliveries and to be honest I dont know where they are half the time, a dedicated truck sat nav would probably be useless to me as they are generally located in areas where a truck sat nav will steer you away from. I did a delivery to a farm today in Patrington Haven where I had to drive through a new housing estate to get to it, must admit I got quite panic striken at first as it seemed odd and pretty tight to get through but there was absolutely no other way to get to it. Plus the farm was situated there long before the new housing estate was built.

Makes sense really. If you are going to depend on a sat nav to find your way around, one that doesn’t know how heavy/long/tall you are is pretty useless.

I’ve never understood the hate for a decent truck sat nav, they are a great tool, a map that can plan a route for you. They ■■■■ arse when you want to look at the entire route before setting off however, which is way I have a paper map aswell.

But a paper map and a satnav don’t hold a candle to Google maps live traffic, those little red and amber lines are bang on when it come to traffic jams. Not to mention street view so you can see what your destination looks like, can’t do that with a Phillips map!

In short why not use all the tools available, there no right and wrong, they just have different purposes

dozy:
How the hell are employed drivers going to afford a lorry sat nav , there about £400 & that’s a weeks wages for them

Not you old son only half your weeks wages or put another way 1.5 days
All figures quoted are approximate