HELP - low cabs, overnighting

Yesterday, I was informed by a UK driver, that his TM had received notification, that if you have a low cab, you are not allowed to spend more than one consecutive night in it. In other words, to spend 2 nights or more consecutively, in your cab, it must be a hi-top :open_mouth:

Has anyone else heard of this :question:

I donā€™t wanā€™t to go to my TM without further info.

Cheers folks

John

Just another driverā€™s myth Iā€™m afraid. This story has been around in one form or another for a few years now and while there may be legislation in the future on minimum cab sizes for overnighting there is nothing at the moment.

I think itā€™s just wishful thinking by some drivers. :wink:

Have you been talking to my ex missus? :stuck_out_tongue:

Its an old wives tale :smiley:

tell the driver to speak to car transporter driversā€¦ most of them have four or five nights out in flat cab motors. it would be nice but i cant see it happening for a while yet

Yes its an old wifes taleā€¦unfortunatelyā€¦it would be nice to spend nights out in decent trucks and not wendy housesā€¦although personally the rebel in me says not to accept nights out in anything other than a decent cabā€¦if companies want you to spend nights away then they should buy the equipment for the jobā€¦my son in law lives and works in hollandā€¦he has a top of the range DAF double sleeperā€¦and he only does supermarket workā€¦at least someones got it rightā€¦
but this story reminds me of an incident in germany many years ago when an english driver was woken in the middle of the night by the police and told he couldnt sleep in his F88 cos it was only a rest cab and not a sleeperā€¦but who in the u.k. transport industry gives a hoot anyway about where drivers sleep so long as the job gets doneā€¦i`m afraid that its down to the driversā€¦and as i say many times we can get what we want if we were unitedā€¦something that will not happenā€¦drivers have to stand on their own and demand decent sleeping arrangementsā€¦and if i had my way then drivers would be put into hotels as they should beā€¦and get a subsistence for being away from homeā€¦inconvenience money !!..have a nice day

I had heard that it was supposed to be an impending law, but never read anything to confirm it. I think it was at the time alot of companies started to buy high cab motors, but this was more to do with driver retention than any law.
As for Truckboys idea of living in hotels, it isnā€™t as good as you might think. Iā€™ve spent 2 years staying in hotels whilst working for race teams and the rooms are always to hot. There seems to be less sound proofing than you average truck the beds are often too narrow or there isnā€™t enough beds clothes and the curtains are to thin and some of the places we stayed were over Ā£100 per night and that doesnā€™t include and evening meal.
My previous landlord used to be a driver in the days of digs and he hated them, he reckoned that many were flea-infested pits.
I get a better nights sleep in a truck as you get used to one bed set up as you like it and truck bunks have improved a lot in the few years Iā€™ve been driving. What we do need is better parking facilities, proper showers and toilets, but thereā€™d get vandalised by some of the low lifes that call themselves truck drivers. .

on this subject dhl logistic sacked there fleet manager at ipswich a few months back due to ordering the wrong cabs as they ainā€™t allowed to stay out more than one night,he should have ordered topliners as they spend all week out most of the time.

At the risk of being slated, yet again. I wouldnt believe any story of the law making employers buy a top of the range sleeper cab. Most of us on here have a sleeper cab because it benefits the transport operation.

The law doesnt say anything about having a high roof, double bunk, a certain distance away from a steering wheel or anything.

Most forward thinking companies buy high roof sleepers for two reasons.

Driver Retention and Resale Value.

Lets say I am an owner driver and I want to buy a day cab ERF :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no law that I am aware of that prevents me having a night out or even a month away from home.
The post about the German Police knocking someone up may be true, It is illegal to run an engine while stationery, as it is here,

There have been stories about day cab, pods and single bunk cabs been banned since I started driving in 1976.

Most of them aint true :slight_smile:

as said in this post most companies now buy or lease high cabbed trucks.
the main reason being good resale value or better deals from the leasing companies.
but who buys them second hand ā– ā– ?.
i know some smaller firms prefer to buy used and unabused and the rare owner driver may do. but there are thousands of trucks on the roads run 24/7 by the big logistics companies.
are they broken for spares??
do they go abroad ā– ā– ?. ive heard many trucks end up in africa and my old daf 75 was destined to be used in a mine somewhere in africa.
but they cant all go there , can they. :open_mouth:

Wheel nut i beg to differ with you but i think you,ll find you cannot have a rest period unless the truck is fitted with a bunk.

As for the high roof thing i,m not too sure but i have heard this and apparently it is some new european legislation i dont know the facts but have heard of it, apparently you must have space to stand upthats all i know.

jammymutt:
Wheel nut i beg to differ with you but i think you,ll find you cannot have a rest period unless the truck is fitted with a bunk.

Thatā€™s correct jammy, the exact wording from the regulations is ā€œThe daily rest period may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it is fitted with a bunk and is stationary.ā€ A day cab can be fitted with a fold down bunk and this would be sufficient in the eyes of the law.

jammymutt:
As for the high roof thing i,m not too sure but i have heard this and apparently it is some new european legislation i dont know the facts but have heard of it, apparently you must have space to stand upthats all i know.

Thatā€™s all part of the same myth, and about the only time you will hear a group of drivers all agreeing with proposed legislation from Brussels. :smiley: :smiley: There were discussions a few years ago on legislating the minimum size of a cab from back wall to the windscreen to stop drwabars getting more load space and the driver less. This was raised by the Dutch transport minister at the time but it came to nothing and maybe this is where this myth sprang from.

Any legislation will be a very long way off that is for sure.

dave:
as said in this post most companies now buy or lease high cabbed trucks.
the main reason being good resale value or better deals from the leasing companies.
but who buys them second hand ā– ā– ?.
i know some smaller firms prefer to buy used and unabused and the rare owner driver may do. but there are thousands of trucks on the roads run 24/7 by the big logistics companies.
are they broken for spares??
do they go abroad ā– ā– ?. ive heard many trucks end up in africa and my old daf 75 was destined to be used in a mine somewhere in africa.
but they cant all go there , can they. :open_mouth:

For example, the Tescoā€™s Scania 94L 310 day-cab artics :open_mouth: . Who would want one of those :exclamation: :question: :smiley: