Nights out in a 'low' cab

Hi all,

My understanding is that to do a night out you need to have a cab fitted with a suitable bunk…correct ■■?

My question is whether or not there are any issues with the number of nights out you can be asked to do if your unit is one of the lower roofed ones, ie can’t stand up, but still has a bunk ■■

My mate is wondering if he can ask his boss to limit his nights out due to the lack of room/space in his cab - glad I don’t have this problem in the Merc :slight_smile:

That is one of the oldest, and most repeated Driver’s Myths.

There is no limit to number of nights out depending on the size of the cab. You can either take a rest period in a cab if it has a bunk or you can’t if it doesn’t. You can take a rest period in a day cab if it has a fold down bunk.

thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

You can take a rest period anywhere as long as its “suitable”. The d/hours rules only mention a bunk or couchette for ferry / train journeys. If you have a day cab and a plank to lay on accross the seats and you think its suitable, then so be it, sleep in a tent next to the truck, or even sleep in the load area!

Depends what you class as suitable!

I wonder what all the current drivers would think of a 113?
Classed as the dog’s doo dahs when they came out, double bunk in a standard cab, hardly room to kneel never mind stand.
Someone on here recently was saying they wouldn’t do nights out in a space cab CF :open_mouth: Even I can stand up, easily, in mine and I’m over 6’ :unamused:

i find B&B ok

My sleeping area is about 12 feet by 10 feet and has a lovely comfy bed, computer, good wardrobe space, brilliant heating, and I sleep in it 7 nights in a row.

Yes you’ve guessed it, it’s my house, so no problems of lack of space.

Ken.

Quinny:
My sleeping area is about 12 feet by 10 feet and has a lovely comfy bed, computer, good wardrobe space, brilliant heating, and I sleep in it 7 nights in a row.

But how high is the ceiling? That’s the important bit, apparently it’s illegal if you can’t stand up to put your trousers on. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Quinny:

But how high is the ceiling? That’s the important bit, apparently it’s illegal if you can’t stand up to put your trousers on. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

And he forgot to mention how far away the steering wheel is from his pillow :stuck_out_tongue:

But 561/2006 does say this, about the sleeping arrangements.

1. Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and
    reduced weekly rest periods away from base may be taken in a
    vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities for each
    driver and the vehicle is stationary.

Makes you laugh doesn’t it.

I wonder if the guys who ask these kind of questions ever venture into the Old Timers subforum and look at some of the trucks that drivers used to live in for months at a time doing the Middle East, or maybe double manning to Europe, or perhaps taking wife & 2 kids on holiday with them. Yup, all in wendy houses.

well we have to do 4-5 nights out a week in a cab that if you drive over a bump too fast you bang your head off the roof.in short if the answer to this question was yes,every car transporter driver in the uk wouldnt have to do a night out. :laughing:

buck rogers:
well we have to do 4-5 nights out a week in a cab that if you drive over a bump too fast you bang your head off the roof.in short if the answer to this question was yes,every car transporter driver in the uk wouldnt have to do a night out. :laughing:

Unless he drove for RPM :wink:

DaiDap:

buck rogers:

Unless he drove for RPM :wink:

lucky beggars :grimacing:

I wonder what’s “suitable sleeping facilities” in the cab?

My question is as I had to drive hired DAF LF once with day cab only for a three days trip and I was struggling to find some B&B or hotel for the place lower than 100 per night… So I just took some country lane, put my nose into the bushes somewhere in the middle of nothing, put a jacket betwen driver and double passenger sit, put a gear in to make more space and I found it quite comfy… (I always carry my sleeping bag with me “just in case”). So next night I decided to do not seek for any digs, but just did it again…

I am nearly 2 metres and I am able to sleep straight. In warm nights it’s no problem with no heater and if you park with your nose into the bushes or the wall on some quiet lane you are not bothered by any outside lights…

Now I am wondering: Was I breaking the law? Of course there were not dedicated sleeping facilites, as I have to “tune it up” with my jacket, but after that it was OK and I slept like a log - so obviously it was suitable for sleep :slight_smile:

I saw plenty of times couriers in sprinter vans sleeping in their cabs, but off course they are not tachographed…

So: was it breaking a law, or not?

And what if I am driving day cab lorry and I am running out of time with no hotel nearby - what’s worse infrigment: sleeping in it, or continuing to drive until some digs are found (my record when driving a sprinter was 4 hours before I found first place with free beds…)?

I know, that in real life the answer is obvious, as if I’ll park somewhere in the countryside, the chances to be found by VOSA are very slim, compared to having bent tachos on me, but in theory?

Back in the 60’s, I had more mates than enough, "why??, I drove for british Vita and carried foam rubber mattresses, I think we supplied nearly every cab in the country with a piece of foam in thiose days ,to go across the seats. Sleeper cabs, what were they??
If you had a van you kipped in the back, If you had a Leyland you had a plank and a piece of foam, I remember one boy who slung a hammock across the cab. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Happy days, no tachos no vosa, no mither. :smiley: :smiley:

Had a driver tell me the other week,

“you are not allowed to take your break in the drivers seat, has to be in the passenger seat, away from the steering wheel”
:laughing: :laughing:

redboxer850:
Had a driver tell me the other week,

“you are not allowed to take your break in the drivers seat, has to be in the passenger seat, away from the steering wheel”
:laughing: :laughing:

That’s just a variation on the good old you have to sleep with your head at the end of the bunk furthest from the steering wheel myth. It’s when you hear that sort of ■■■■■■■■ you have to ask them - “Remind me again, why are you talking to me?” That usually gets them to STFU.

Christ i just saw a turk parked up in rainham in an axor i bet its against his human rights not to have an actros for that journey

renaultman:
Someone on here recently was saying they wouldn’t do nights out in a space cab CF :open_mouth: Even I can stand up, easily, in mine and I’m over 6’ :unamused:

who on earth came out with that claptrap :question: :question: :question: im 6ft and 18 stone and love me cf and do 70 hours and 3-4 nights out a week in it, its an 04reg and in a worn and torn state but it knocks on a bit and pulls well = great little truck.

dont get me wrong i would love a new fh or xf but this cf is more than adequate for what i need, in fact freightliner are on about buying new fm globetrotters but i dont want one of those i’d rather keep this at least i can stand up and use my bed like a settee.

I used to be out all week in this Volvo FL once upon a time. It seemed OK at the time but perhaps that was just because i knew no better, Lol.