New member 1st post.......... be gentle PLEASE

Hi guys/gals

My names Jase"BIGNUTS" Live in Fleetwood lancashire,Had class 1 for 10 yrs, done uk and european work, Got a question for you all…

I drive at the mo a volvo fm low cab, work 3-4nights away is there no way i can get my boss by the balls so we can have higher cabs ie we need a certain amount of room etc etc if we work 2 nights or more away■■?

wouldnt mind our transport manager only has to look after 4 artics and 3 vans,
He dosnt want to know, if everything is going tikty boo then fine but then if there is a problem he turns it round stabs us in the back and say its our fault■■?

Im also after another job with decent motors and pay, if i told you what i earn now you would all die with laughter and say leave the job now , but with a young family etc etc it is a bit hard to do,

So your advice is much welcome Thanks" BIGNUTS"

Hi Jase, welcome to the nuthouse known as TNUK! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m afraid there’s nothing in law about the size of cabs, it’s one of those pieces of wishful thinking our part. :cry:

The only thing which covers the size of your working space is in Employment Law, and is only about 11 cubic metres, or something like that (it’s a few years since I did my CPC… :blush: ). The exact figure is irrelevant though, as the point is that it includes “furniture”…which in the case of a truck means the engine hump, dashboard, bunks, etc etc etc, and equates to approximately the size of an FL6. :cry: :cry: :cry:

There are a few members here from your area who may be able to point you in the direction of better work ,though. It is hard to get out of a rut when you haven’t the time to find something else, and can’t afford to jack without another job to go to. Been there, done that. Good luck, mate. :wink:

Welcome to TruckNet.

BIGNUTS:
I drive at the mo a volvo fm low cab, work 3-4nights away is there no way i can get my boss by the balls so we can have higher cabs ie we need a certain amount of room etc etc if we work 2 nights or more away■■?

Careful, you are straying into Driver’s Urban Myth territory there and that can be a scary place. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: You can night out in a day cab if it has a fold-away bunk fitted so in comparison to that an FM is luxury.

welcome bignuts, but the reply has to be try and find another job if your not
happy

Knew the cab debate was iffy lol, just read another thread, i will add though my boss expects us to load our trailers on the monday,then sit in yard till 5.30pm then put tacho in and drive to 1st drop,■■? pay isnt the best,sooooo just placed a new thread in employment wanted

Hi Jase,

ECM looking for drivers nationwide. Ad in this months truck mag, although you can email them via their website and they will send you an application.

Good luck.

BIGNUTS:
, i will add though my boss expects us to load our trailers on the monday,then sit in yard till 5.30pm then put tacho in and drive to 1st drop,■■?

That’s illegal. However, there’s not a lot you can do about it and the best advice would be as others have said, to find another job.

Harry Monk i know its illegal, but this is the only way me and 3 other drivers can take hme a decent wage at the end of the week mate, :wink:

Yes, I’m not telling you what you should or shouldn’t be doing, just that it is in breach of the roolz.

Sorry i worded that wrong"Harry Monk"

We try and try to tell him its illegal but he does not give 2 [zb]

Im on the look out for another job, but like most unless ya know someone then its hard to get time off too go and look :wink:

BIGNUTS:
i will add though my boss expects us to load our trailers on the monday,then sit in yard till 5.30pm then put tacho in and drive to 1st drop,■■? pay isnt the best,sooooo just placed a new thread in employment wanted

That’s an interesting story BIGNUTS. Your boss sounds like he’s stuck in the 70’s. That’s how it was back then. The suggestion of having a quiet look around on the internet for a job seems like a very good idea in your case. I’d say you have more than the necessary experience.

There is a driver shortage, no matter what your boss says/thinks. I’ve known VOSA to compare tacho records with timesheets, so your boss might yet get his attitude altered “officially.” :wink: That’s even more likely now the WTD is here. A few years ago, a very large and nationally well-known fleet had a rogue manager at one of its depots. This guy did roughly the same as your boss. Guess what happened when VOSA dropped in for a records check…? Good luck in the hunt for a new job mate :wink:

BIGNUTS:
Harry Monk i know its illegal, but this is the only way me and 3 other drivers can take hme a decent wage at the end of the week mate, :wink:

The problem is if you get caught you will likely have your licence suspended for a period and then you will be taking no wage home for several weeks. Hope you find something else quickly.

have you thought of signing on with an agancy or 2 for the rush upto christmas then you can try to get in full time somewhere else just a thought :bulb:
and welcome to the maaaaaaaad house

go and see montgomery, their money isn’t perfect but its better than laughable and the work is 100% legal

Welcome BIGNUTS.

My advice is that if the job isn’t legal don’t do it. I;m sure you will find legal work somewhere else. :smiley:

Interbrew at Salmesbury recruit regularly. Its a salary job and they pay 25000pa. Not a million miles from you using the M55.

:slight_smile:
Woodside Haulage at Bamber Bridge were recently looking for more drivers.
Tel. 01772 323381…Contact name: Keith Ashcroft

Or what about taking a look around Heysham Docks on your next day off? - plenty of firms there are doing well with the Irish unaccompanied trailers at the moment.

From what you’ve told us so far, I’d get away from your present employer pretty ■■■■ sharpish.
It will be a case of guilt by association, “you are a professional driver - you knew the rules - you chose to ignore them” when VOSA and later on the TC call your firm to account…and they will, sooner or (hopefully, for you personally,) later. :wink:

Good Luck in your jobsearch…Do it … Do it NOW :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Guys/Gals for the welcome… Well sent e-mails off and asked a few lads on the boat over and from belfast got a few nmbers, and will of course let you know the out come if any :sunglasses: :wink:

“Big Nuts”

Move the family to Swindon and come and work for us.

'04 480 Topliners; that you’ll never have to sleep in! You’ll be home every day.

Trunking from So’ton to Peterborough. Five days/nights per week; whichever you fancy!

Oh! The money! How does £550 days or £600 nights (salary) grab you?

Small company, run by people who care!!

Let me know!

John