Ford cargos love or hate

Hello
I personally like to Ford Cargo. Why would anyone hate them■■?
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

029.jpg

023.jpg

5707762420_02d27b69e8.jpg

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
I personally like to Ford Cargo. Why would anyone hate them■■?
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

These are brilliant photos of Stobbies.

Hello Eddie Stobart Fan,
Thanks. To see similar photos like this, visit the Eddie Stobart Spotters Thread in the members section.
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

heres one of our old cargo we ran 3 of them over the time a C reg 250 ■■■■■■■ with a fuller and the E reg in the pictures and also H reg both with L10 290 ■■■■■■■ and twin splitter two were ex ford but i carnt remember witch two now. great motors and easy and cheep to run and repair iremember a steel water pipe corroding and leaking went out with a length off stainless hover pipe cut to length job done never changed it from that day till the day it was sold

we had a Cargo unit at Carryfast,North Kilworth,on hire i believe.no one wanted to drive it,so a temp.called ‘the silver fox’ had to put up with it.he loved it :astonished:

I did a piece for TRUCK on the 25th anniversary of Truck of the Year, the Cargo won in 82 (I think) and I went out for a ride in one and I have to say it was as nice to drive as the brand new Euro Cargo that I’d been out testing just a short time before, it was one of the later ones with discs, but all the same it held its own :wink:

I went out in a demo with a V8 Perkins for a run to S Wales, a sleeper cab version, it was a good 16tonner, as good as anything else on the road at the time when four wheelers were workhorses, not just long wheelbase tractor units with a body on the back.

We also had a few at Solstor, L10-290 with Twin Splitters, used on UK only, I took one to York once, it did the job, I couldn’t wait to get back in my F12-400 though :laughing: I also had a 6 wheeler tipper with the L10-250 and a 9spd Fuller, it was one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful 6x4 chassis you could get at the time and it was a flying machine.

All in all, the Cargo was a very good lorry, designed for the British market, it did a very good job and Cargo was the generic term for a 7.5tonner for a while, they were way ahead of the Bedford TL, Dodge Commando and Leyland Clydesdale/Freighter and you could get 10ton on the back of the 16… series, you couldn’t do that with a Merc 1617 or a Volvo F616 :wink:

In the early 90s we ran a bunch of 7.5 tonne flatbed Cargo’s at Gulliver’s Truck Rental in Cardiff and Bristol.
They were cheap and easy to maintain, and gave us few problems. They had a better payload than the 814 Merc, and were often requested over the 814s as they were more fun to drive!. There was no problem disposing of them either.
I did some agency work with the Royal Mail in a tractor unit with a L10 250, nothing wrong with it at all, good city, and trunking motor.

The cabs and Cargo name carried on with Ford here in the States for many years, and then with Freightliner and Sterling when Daimler Benz bought Fords heavy duty division.
The U.S. Postal service had a bunch of 4x2 ridgids and they were liked by the utility companies, fire engines and road sweepers.
The beer and soft drinks distributors used them too.

Marc ( newmercman ), that 4 wheel 16 tonne GVW Cargo you road tested with a Perkins V8 should of been a flyer. Ford had been a big user of the V8 in 6 wheel D series ridgids, early models with a 5 spd box and Eaton 2 spd axle the later ones with the 8spd + crawler Fuller box.
Mind you Leyland had used the V8 Perkins in their 4 wheel Mastiff many years previous.

Paul John:
In the early 90s we ran a bunch of 7.5 tonne flatbed Cargo’s at Gulliver’s Truck Rental in Cardiff and Bristol.
They were cheap and easy to maintain, and gave us few problems. They had a better payload than the 814 Merc, and were often requested over the 814s as they were more fun to drive!. There was no problem disposing of them either.
I did some agency work with the Royal Mail in a tractor unit with a L10 250, nothing wrong with it at all, good city, and trunking motor.

The cabs and Cargo name carried on with Ford here in the States for many years, and then with Freightliner and Sterling when Daimler Benz bought Fords heavy duty division.
The U.S. Postal service had a bunch of 4x2 ridgids and they were liked by the utility companies, fire engines and road sweepers.
The beer and soft drinks distributors used them too.

Marc ( newmercman ), that 4 wheel 16 tonne GVW Cargo you road tested with a Perkins V8 should of been a flyer. Ford had been a big user of the V8 in 6 wheel D series ridgids, early models with a 5 spd box and Eaton 2 spd axle the later ones with the 8spd + crawler Fuller box.
Mind you Leyland had used the V8 Perkins in their 4 wheel Mastiff many years previous.

I remember ERF trying the Perkins for a while in their smaller vehicle options. Don’t think they were everyones cup of tea but quite frugal IIRC - would be a good option now, especially with an auto transmission (sorry to wander off the Cargo thread) Having dealt with a vehicle hire company from the Stoke area back in the 80’s (CCH - are they still going?) you had to get used to the Fords cause I think that they were a dealer and that’s pretty much what their fleet consisted of.

My first “go” in anything resembling a lorry was a 7.5t Cargo- I thought that there was something wrong with the brakes, with the all on/all off business. Maneouvring was a jerky job, to say the least. Now I am informed, by this forum, that it was normal! They must have been lethal in icy conditions- has anyone on here ever stuffed one with an unintended lock-up?

[zb]
anorak:
My first “go” in anything resembling a lorry was a 7.5t Cargo- I thought that there was something wrong with the brakes, with the all on/all off business. Maneouvring was a jerky job, to say the least. Now I am informed, by this forum, that it was normal! They must have been lethal in icy conditions- has anyone on here ever stuffed one with an unintended lock-up?

The only ‘small’ Cargo that I drove was actually being used as a float for Matlock Bath carnival! They asked me to drive it (the original driver had an offer from the local pub to drive their float + free ale! :unamused: ) So muggins here got the task. It was a fruit and veg truck, with a roof and curtain sides, and when I got in it the kids were already on the back so we set off down a 1 in 5 slope and I touched the brakes, oops! Kids everywhere, the brakes were lethal. :blush: Luckily the rest of the parade was on the level, and we won first prize plus I received a nice ‘thank you’ letter from the school kids so it wasn’t all bad! I still think that those brakes were deadly though, you only had to breathe on the pedal and the thing nearl stood on its nose.

Pete.

David Coulthards race transporter before he became an F1 driver

I had a little 7.5 tonnerand, when i had got used to using the welder, i found it to be a cheap truck to run, and had discs so stopped fine, yeah on reflection a rather usefull truck, by god they did rust.

A few more ive found of my first go in trucking :smiley: I loved this old girl :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

f88vol:
the good old ford cargo are to some people like marmite you either love them or hate well ive grown up with them about and love them from a 0813 0809 2424 all were good work horses and very cheap to run so now ive got well 1 for going to shows a 3828 ts and another getn restored and just sold a 4x2 3828 this particular truck has the biggest engine fitted 290 L 10 ■■■■■■■ with a proper mans gearbox(eaton twin splitter) and well it does goo and returns around 20mpg wen running solo so abosulutely great for doing road runs

Passed my test in a cargo and drove them for a few years for Royal Mail, both 7.5t and artics. great truck to drive.
That Volvo at the back of the pic looks like one of our old ones its in our old colours, do you own it ?if so i can give you a bit of info on it whats the reg no/ PM me if you like mate.

my father used to work for carryfast in bristol,he had a demo cargo a 1617 or 1618 model on a 81 w plate i think, that thing flew i was only a boy but remembered no other trucks passing us. he then got the first one delivered to the bristol depot reg ANV 303X model 1313 with a customline body and had a tail lift fitted at a later date for a gkn/ partco ? contract, my dad then lost that wagon as it was useful with the tail lift as he was on multidrop.it was a bit sad because it was just abused and got tatty, he then had more cargos including ANV 302X , ANV 297X which had a lower box on and had a roller door on the front n/s as well as the rear which was very useful.i loved cargos and always wanted to drive one, many years passed and i managed finally to drive one it was a hired 0815 and was easy to drive, i loved it.happy days. a friend of mine has one he is restoring it for his garage business as a recovery truck 0813. when he starts it up it sounds ace, brings back good memories for me.i have even told him
if he needs a driver to help out im his man, tacho regs permitting of course!! :smiley:

Still going strong today!

scan0205.jpg

hi all i drove a 7.5 tonner 0813 tipper and then a 1718 flatbed crane wagon for jewson when i passed my test. I liked them :stuck_out_tongue:

I drove an old Cargo 7.5 tonner for a while which sounded great and pulled pretty well. Alas this was then replaced by an Iveco 75E15 and the company ‘upgraded’ to several more Ivecos after that, including the truly hateful 75E14. If there is a worse commercial vehicle than one of those (75E14) I’ve yet to find it, and although it’s over ten years since I last drove one I’d still never buy an Iveco.

Cavlad:
I drove an old Cargo 7.5 tonner for a while which sounded great and pulled pretty well. Alas this was then replaced by an Iveco 75E15 and the company ‘upgraded’ to several more Ivecos after that, including the truly hateful 75E14. If there is a worse commercial vehicle than one of those (75E14) I’ve yet to find it, and although it’s over ten years since I last drove one I’d still never buy an Iveco.

yes i had a 75e15 euro for a while and i didnt like it at all, then i had a 8e21 and that thing flew but was unreliable, not the engine but electrical. i was on nights from bristol to plymouth and falmouth and used to eat headlight bulbs. i was on a weeks holiday and then one night it caught fire ,apparently it was an electrical fault which started it!! i now have a man tgl 8 180. nice truck apart from the auto box.