Ford cargos love or hate

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
I personally like to Ford Cargo. Why would anyone hate them■■?
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

Not visited this thread for a while, but noted all those Stobart Cargo’s (like F88vols) had the optional under bumper spoiler fitted! They look good, but did they really save fuel?? Stobarts (being Stobarts, must have thought so, but I’m not so sure!) Many (though not all) of those Stobart units went for export unfortunately and were long gone before any real interest got underway. Anyway, these are filthy rare nowadays and I’m looking for one, anyone know where I can get one then I’ll make it worth your while! All the usual places that do Cargo bits nowadays haven’t got one, but who knows what’s lurking in some of the Old Skool on here. . . . . :wink:

F88vol knows I would grease his palm with significant silver if he had a spare one, but unfortunately he hasn’t :frowning:

My first ever driving job at 19 years old was delivering frozen foods and christmas hampers all over Northern England for Hulleys off junction 36 of the M1. They were a great firm, and didn’t have to trust a teeneager who had just passed his test 2 months before joining them with a 7 and a half tonne Renault fridge wagon…but they did.

This was the first vehicle I had driven after passing my test in a mini metro!!! and it was a fantastic little wagon to drive. The company got more work on, and brought in a number of wagons on hire, one of them being a Ford Cargo. Comparing it to the Renault, the cago was CRAP!. Its handleing was terrible, and I always felt as though it was ever so slightly out of control. It had poor driver comfort, the gear change was slacker than a wizards sleeve and it looked a dog! I couldn’t wait to get back in the Renault…So I guess they really are like marmite, which by the way I love :stuck_out_tongue:

On a recent holiday in India I saw lots of “cargos”
No idea what was under the floor in terms of engine etc but the badge on the front was Leyland!
Not Ashok Leyland, just plain Leyland.
These were not old trucks but I would guess that there average age was around 2-3 years.
Used to see a lot of cargo cabs in Turkey , can’t remember the name on the them but it wasn’t Ford.
Something along the lines of Erdim perhaps.

Saw this a few weeks back in Calgary, Alberta.

Hate im afead, first drive one middle of 80,s DEUZ 204hp whit effer crane didn,t like.
had one own 611, culdnt carry it,s own weigt, when rev,s fall under 1300 it self died :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :laughing: :laughing:

f88vol:
the good old ford cargo are to some people like marmite you either love them or hate well ive grown up with them about and love them from a 0813 0809 2424 all were good work horses and very cheap to run so now ive got well 1 for going to shows a 3828 ts and another getn restored and just sold a 4x2 3828 this particular truck has the biggest engine fitted 290 L 10 ■■■■■■■ with a proper mans gearbox(eaton twin splitter) and well it does goo and returns around 20mpg wen running solo so abosulutely great for doing road runs

did they put l10 325 in sum of em

newmercman:

That “Stack” . . . oops . . Upright exhaust is a bit ott imo. :stuck_out_tongue:

This looks a cracking old tool, and very useful having a slide bed body.

!(http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!rEE88gWnFBHBPZLwMooh!~~60_12.JPG)

ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-Ford-Car … 3cc3bae0ac

I’d imagine it’s quite a late one due to ‘Iveco’ badging and I drove a Euro Cargo that was ‘L’ reg.

Suedehead:

newmercman:

That “Stack” . . . oops . . Upright exhaust is a bit ott imo. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s that tall to keep the soot off the top corner of the trailer, although having it facing forward is not such a good idea :laughing:

What troubles me more is the size of the diesel tank, if you need that much squirt then a day cab Cargo is not the motor for you :laughing:

I used to drive 2, 7.5t versions of them of them for SP Davis transport in Birmingham 1989-1990.
D321 JWD And D540 HHA. The brakes were pants. Hit them and they would slam on. Did a heck of a lot of mileage in them. I remember the 1st turbo 0815 that I ever drove. It was like a rocket up yer’ arse!
Last one I drove was for Kitsons Insulation, in Pilkington livery. Was a de-mountable 0813. 40 MPH on the motorway in 4th gear, if the wind was against you! Good for nights out across the seats. :laughing:

bigvern1:
Good for nights out across the seats. :laughing:

In the early 90’s two of us used to double man an 0813 with a 22’ flat body with a winch and veeeeery long slide load ramps, we used to deliver asbestos cleanup washrooms, they were 20 foot long each, we had one on the back and one on tow, we went all over the fatherland with it and the best of it was we only used a day cab and in 8 months we never got stopped once, we used to old Sally line out of Ramsgate…good old days eh? Brilliant truck though but crap brakes, I used to by pass the load sense valve on the rear axle to put full braking pressure through all the time, it was fine when loaded but lethal when empty leaving black lines all over the shop if you weren’t carefull :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s what I meant about the brakes. They used to literally bang on when you hit the pedal…Even gently! :open_mouth:

I can only say hate!!

Had 2, a 1011 and a 3828. The 1011 wouldn’t pull at all,and just rusted away. The 3828 was just horrendous, nothing but trouble from start to finish, and the finish was a cracked block due to the thing always wanting to overheat, never had this problem with the seddons or erf’s. About the worst truck we’ve ever run :imp: :imp: :imp:

Hiya… can anyone remember the red cargo with the extended cab on the weights and measures job.
a pal of mine run it at 46 ton for weighbridge testing, it was also a test engine (■■■■■■■■ for fords.
great guy Pete Baxter who run it.sorry no photo’s
John

cargo 2517

You were obviously at Malvern too - this other Cargo was a decent one - Ford Cargo 3828
■■■■■■■ L10 powered

Rare breed by fryske, on Flickr

fryske:
You were obviously at Malvern too - this other Cargo was a decent one - Ford Cargo 3828
■■■■■■■ L10 powered

Rare breed by fryske, on Flickr

Thanks for that pic - didn’t know it existed that one! A very early 3828 on a C-plate, perhaps THEE earliest survivor with an LT10■■

This was one of the last I owned, someone got into the compound one night and did this after stealing everything else in sight.
I had it re-cabbed but it was never the same again, only 2 years old as well.

[attachment=0]Cargo_fire.jpg[/attachment

Cargo_fire.jpg

This was in action in Kidderminster a couple of years ago - belonged to Costin commercials

I brought this to carry polystyrene packaging, great little tool, ran it for two years and sold it on to the people who made the packaging, it never missed a beat and returned around 16mpg.
This was taken the day I picked it up.

Cargo_Mini_Artic.jpg