Ford Cargo ~ Carrying the Cargo

Hello
After reading Commercial Motors excelent artical on Ford Cargos, my question is, how many of these lorries are still running around?
I often see them as Horse Boxs, but nothing else.
So, has anyone got some old and new photos of the Ford Cargo, and I’m especially interested to see if any are still been used daily.
Anyone with infomation or photos, please come forward
Kindest regards
CG
photos copyright of transportphotos.com

056.jpg

036.jpg

059.jpg

hi there ,
heres a old picture one outside the american embassey london , of a cargo from the company i work , taken a few years back though and cargo now long gone and one of our recent one’s 2 yr ago in our highways contract in lb waltham forest

embassy_big.jpg

theres a small family run business down hear that runs a cargo mate still working hard i think… next time im up my mothers i see if u can get you a picture of it…

terriers:
theres a small family run business down hear that runs a cargo mate still working hard i think… next time im up my mothers i see if u can get you a picture of it…

tarmac steve:
hi there ,
heres a old picture one outside the american embassey london , of a cargo from the company i work , taken a few years back though and cargo now long gone and one of our recent one’s 2 yr ago in our highways contract in lb waltham forest

Hello terriers and tarmac steve
Thankyou for both your posts marras.
tarmac steve, excelent photos marra :smiley: . Did Riney run many Cargos?
terriers, That would be great if you could marra :smiley: . Thankyou
Kindest regards
CG

Wesley Jones is still operating this Cargo.It carries a 17 ton payload,something that the modern six wheelers can’t do.

There is a garage in Burtonwood, Warrington that still uses a cargo crewcab.

hi there ,
“tarmac steve, excelent photos marra . Did Riney run many Cargos?”
i believe so and still does ,i’ve worked for these for 4 yrs now ,and have mainly had cargos or eurgocargo as there now known as , also got a few lf daf’s and hino’s but not to impressed with them ,
anyhow heres a few more piccies , these are a few of my truck when i got it new 2r ago and my old 1 next to it, also a topmix cargo !

P9130019.JPG

P9130017.JPG

PA190024.JPG

a lot of tractor enthusiasts up our way run them for carting their tractors around. at Farming Yesteryear Scone Palace last weekend there was a mint one with a low loader. didnt get a photo though

Holton le Moor. Carrying tractors.

Furness Motor Company have an Iveco Cargo still as a recovery lorry, see it quite regular around Canal Garage.

As for a proper FORD Cargo, ain’t seen one that isn’t a horsebox for a good few years!

few more to the pot ! :smiley: pictures taken from another forum i use

DSC_0195.JPG

Hello everyone
Thankyou to everyone who’s posted on this thread over the last 24 hours. The photos and infomation you’ve all posted is excelent. Please keep it coming
dew, Have you any photos of the Recovery Lorry your taking about? It sounds an interesting wagon. As for Cargo horseboxes, I see quite a lot of them, especially on Horse Sales day in Wigton.
tarmac steve, thankyou for your photos and newspaper cutting. There used to be a Ford Cargo mixer like based at Readymix at Flimby, but I haven’t seen that one for years.
O4Goodnessake, Excelent photos marra. I’m suprised to see the Cargo badges on the bottom two Iveco/ Fords. I would have thought that those Iveco Fords would have been branded as Eurocargos?
Kindest regards and keep the posts coming
CG

Dave the Renegade:

Wesley Jones is still operating this Cargo.It carries a 17 ton payload,something that the modern six wheelers can’t do.

Excelent photo Dave.Its great to see older lorries like that still earning a living.
That Cargo is truely carring the Cargo!
Kindest regards
CG

one more !

tarmac steve:
one more !

Another excelent cutting tarmac steve. Many thanks again marra :smiley:
Kindest regards
CG

029.jpg

5707762420_02d27b69e8.jpg

023.jpg

Today at High Burnham,nr Epworth,N.Lincs.

O4Goodnessake:
Today at High Burnham,nr Epworth,N.Lincs.

Hello O4Goodnessake,
Thankyou for those excelent photos. Please keep them coming
Kindest regards
CG

tarmac steve:
hi there ,

that first picture is a Leyland, not a Ford.

kindle530:

tarmac steve:
hi there ,

that first picture is a Leyland, not a Ford.

looks further into the distance :wink:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
After reading Commercial Motors excelent artical on Ford Cargos, my question is, how many of these lorries are still running around?
I often see them as Horse Boxs, but nothing else.
So, has anyone got some old and new photos of the Ford Cargo, and I’m especially interested to see if any are still been used daily.
Anyone with infomation or photos, please come forward
Kindest regards
CG
photos copyright of transportphotos.com

A lot of the heavier weight, 1st gen Cargo’s (that were still serviceable after the big fleets disposed of them) were rabidly exported to New Zealand and Malta etc in the mid to late 1990’s. Of course, they were terrible rot-boxes too and many were just chopped for their ■■■■■■■ lumps (for export too). Consequently, few survive in the UK (above 17 ton range) and their individual rarity is now slowly garnering an interest and a dedicated, albeit small fan base. AFAIK, Roger Hastings has the largest, revenue earning fleet in the UK still working. I believe 3 six wheeler tippers and one very rare 1724 rigid, and he has plans to get at least one 4-wheeler re-cabbed and working sometime soon. His yard is a pleasure to visit for any Ford truck enthusiast as he has some very rare trucks mothballed for spares/awaiting restoration. :slight_smile:

Here’s an OT question I wondered anyone could answer?? D-Series tractor units seem to be very thin on the ground in preservation, and I just wondered how many have survived?? I only know of 2 heavier weight D tractors in pres. The Federated Hauliers green one (which was at Retro - luvverly wagon imo!) and the blue one up north somewhere (Merseyside as I recall??) Any more??