Ford Cargo ~ Carrying the Cargo

kindle530:

tarmac steve:
hi there ,
heres a old picture one outside the american embassey london , of a cargo from the company i work , taken a few years back though and cargo now long gone and one of our recent one’s 2 yr ago in our highways contract in lb waltham forest

that first picture is a Leyland, not a Ford.

there is a cargo in the picture just further back behind the leyland :slight_smile:

sdg1970:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello
After reading Commercial Motors excelent artical on Ford Cargos, my question is, how many of these lorries are still running around?
I often see them as Horse Boxs, but nothing else.
So, has anyone got some old and new photos of the Ford Cargo, and I’m especially interested to see if any are still been used daily.
Anyone with infomation or photos, please come forward
Kindest regards
CG
photos copyright of transportphotos.com

A lot of the heavier weight, 1st gen Cargo’s (that were still serviceable after the big fleets disposed of them) were rabidly exported to New Zealand and Malta etc in the mid to late 1990’s. Of course, they were terrible rot-boxes too and many were just chopped for their ■■■■■■■ lumps (for export too). Consequently, few survive in the UK (above 17 ton range) and their individual rarity is now slowly garnering an interest and a dedicated, albeit small fan base. AFAIK, Roger Hastings has the largest, revenue earning fleet in the UK still working. I believe 3 six wheeler tippers and one very rare 1724 rigid, and he has plans to get at least one 4-wheeler re-cabbed and working sometime soon. His yard is a pleasure to visit for any Ford truck enthusiast as he has some very rare trucks mothballed for spares/awaiting restoration. :slight_smile:

Here’s an OT question I wondered anyone could answer?? D-Series tractor units seem to be very thin on the ground in preservation, and I just wondered how many have survived?? I only know of 2 heavier weight D tractors in pres. The Federated Hauliers green one (which was at Retro - luvverly wagon imo!) and the blue one up north somewhere (Merseyside as I recall??) Any more??

Hello everyone
Thankyou to everyone who has posted on hear over the last 24 hours. Many thanks marras.
sdg1970, Thankyou for your interesting post. Its very interesting
Kindest regards
CG

tarmac steve:
hi there ,
heres a old picture one outside the american embassey london , of a cargo from the company i work , taken a few years back though and cargo now long gone and one of our recent one’s 2 yr ago in our highways contract in lb waltham forest

Mission Grove road, just by palmerston rd and market …

This one is resting in our yard but is still running now & again.

altitude:
This one is resting in our yard but is still running now & again.

Excelent photo altitude. Many thanks marra
Kindest regards
CG

image.jpeg

tarmac steve:
one more !

Thanks tarmac steve. I bought this Cargo and had it insulated to carry tarmac. It was a great machine.

Hi ■■■■■■■■ Gill,
I just thought I`d let you know that the Ford Cargo is seen outside this country too.
This one was at work , at an open-air market at Mosta , on the island of Malta, about 18 months ago.
You will see that the owner sells Pots & Plants from his stall. Sorry , but it was only the cab that could be photographed. By the way , did this Cargo move your greenhouse and contents ■■

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Heres another Ford Cargo , ■■■■■■■■ Gill. ( Its Be-Nice-To-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ today :smiley: ).!!
Photographed at Kirkby Stephen , at the Eden Classics Weekend , Easter 2012.

cattle wagon man:
Heres another Ford Cargo , ■■■■■■■■ Gill. ( Its Be-Nice-To-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ today :smiley: ).!!
Photographed at Kirkby Stephen , at the Eden Classics Weekend , Easter 2012.

cattle wagon man:
Hi ■■■■■■■■ Gill,
I just thought I`d let you know that the Ford Cargo is seen outside this country too.
This one was at work , at an open-air market at Mosta , on the island of Malta, about 18 months ago.
You will see that the owner sells Pots & Plants from his stall. Sorry , but it was only the cab that could be photographed. By the way , did this Cargo move your greenhouse and contents ■■

Hello cattle wagon man
Excelent photos marra :smiley:! I’ve seen the Carruthers Cargo at the Border City Steam Fair, but the one in Malta is very interesting, especially the fact that it was a plant stall!
As for the greenhouse question, No. Do you really think I’m going to Malta for my Tom’s :confused: ? I went to Dobbies & Moota of my your infomation
Kindest regards
CG

truckfing:

tarmac steve:
one more !

Thanks tarmac steve. I bought this Cargo and had it insulated to carry tarmac. It was a great machine.

Hello truckfing
Thats excelent :smiley: ! The same lorry and in your livery! How many years did you run if for and how old was it when you got it?
Kindest regards
CG

I bought it in 1990 so it would have been 3 years old I think. It boiled up on my first load so I took it back and they changed the head gasket. Next load it seized up so back again. They said it was my fault and I said it was their fault so ■■■■■■■ were asked to look at it. They said it was “product failure” and took the engine back to repair at their expense. Three weeks later I finally got it back and what a motor. It would fly and never ailed a thing the rest of the time I had it. I think I sold it in 1995 when I bought my DAF but it got written off by the new owner when he ran into the back of standing traffic on the M6. It made it on to the TV then. This was my first Cargo and it was just as good.

Recognise this?.

It is Fords latest lightweight truck in Brazil. I don’t think the original European Ford Cargo range has ever been out of production over there. Although the heavier models have now changed, the name lives on.

Bob.

hi there ,
thanks for the update about the cargo truckfing ,i was going to ask what happened to her lol , but thank you ,
my dad had a demo one from fords back in 1986 , apprantly according to my dad there was 2 of these demos 1’s ( 7.5 ton tippers) with new disk brakes back then , surrey county council had 1 and “cross rent a tipper " company from west london , my dad had the “crosses” 1 that was sprayed up in the colours of the company my dad worked for " ringway surfacing” who leased / contract hired from cross’s

Robal51:
Recognise this?.

It is Fords latest lightweight truck in Brazil. I don’t think the original European Ford Cargo range has ever been out of production over there. Although the heavier models have now changed, the name lives on.

Bob.

wow , both look great !!!

truckfing:
I bought it in 1990 so it would have been 3 years old I think. It boiled up on my first load so I took it back and they changed the head gasket. Next load it seized up so back again. They said it was my fault and I said it was their fault so ■■■■■■■ were asked to look at it. They said it was “product failure” and took the engine back to repair at their expense. Three weeks later I finally got it back and what a motor. It would fly and never ailed a thing the rest of the time I had it. I think I sold it in 1995 when I bought my DAF but it got written off by the new owner when he ran into the back of standing traffic on the M6. It made it on to the TV then. This was my first Cargo and it was just as good.

Hello everyone
Thankyou to truckfing, tarmac steve and Robal51 for there posts over the last 24 hours.
truckfing, Excelent story marra. I’ve really enjoyed reading that. How many lorries did you run or where you a owner driver
Thankyou again tarmac steve for your posts. I agree with you about the photos by Robal51, they are excelent.
Robal51, Excelent photos marra. I really liked the look of the new Cargo in Commercial Motor last week. I wonder when its coming to the UK?
Kindest regards
CG

truckfing:

An interesting history there truckfing - you had a later Iveco-Cargo first (F-Reg??) and then bought an earlier D-plate later■■? Were they both LT10 240 ■■■■■■■■■ Did the D-plate have the XR3 trimmed seats in?? (black with red stripes??).

No photo’s I’m afraid, but while heading down from J36 of the M6 to Preston I passed the first FORD Cargo I’d seen for a while.

Was an E reg, Horsebox. But nice to see some older girls still on road.

I’ll be smiling like an idiot the next time I see a Leyland Constructor, that’s for sure!

dew:
No photo’s I’m afraid, but while heading down from J36 of the M6 to Preston I passed the first FORD Cargo I’d seen for a while.

Was an E reg, Horsebox. But nice to see some older girls still on road.

I’ll be smiling like an idiot the next time I see a Leyland Constructor, that’s for sure!

Hello dew
No bother marra. I’ll have to get down that way to see if I can get a photo.
The horsebox you’ve seen, it wasn’t E456 PAO was it? I often see this one at Wigton mart on Horse Sales Day.
Kindest regards
CG

sdg1970:

truckfing:

An interesting history there truckfing - you had a later Iveco-Cargo first (F-Reg??) and then bought an earlier D-plate later■■? Were they both LT10 240 ■■■■■■■■■ Did the D-plate have the XR3 trimmed seats in?? (black with red stripes??).

I had just the one wagon when I bought the first one to replace my Leyland Bison in 1989 but I soon needed a second wagon so bought the D reg. They both had the L10 which Ford rated as 240. Not a clue what the seats were but the D reg was a 2420 chassis badged as a 2424 which caused a few headaches over parts. I had 5 wagons on the go for a short time but normally 3 was the limit. I had 2 six wheelers, an 8 wheeler and 3 tractor units with the L10 over the years, I thought it was a great engine.

truckfing:

sdg1970:

truckfing:

I had just the one wagon when I bought the first one to replace my Leyland Bison in 1989 but I soon needed a second wagon so bought the D reg. They both had the L10 which Ford rated as 240. Not a clue what the seats were but the D reg was a 2420 chassis badged as a 2424 which caused a few headaches over parts. I had 5 wagons on the go for a short time but normally 3 was the limit. I had 2 six wheelers, an 8 wheeler and 3 tractor units with the L10 over the years, I thought it was a great engine.

Hello truckfing
Thankyou for your interesting post marra.
Did you ever run any Leyland Roadtrains?
Kindest regards
CG