Fell off back of the lorry

Any one have any goods that you got on your travels that fell off back off a lorry :unamused: keith

keith 2:
Any one have any goods that you got on your travels that fell off back off a lorry :unamused: keith

Hi Keith, Would any of us admit to receiving stolen goods, but every job had its perks to boost the wage. :wink: :unamused:
Les.

back in the 60s delivering/collecting at liverpool docks , if it wasnā€™t nailed down it was fair game . in the 70s round the back of the old cafe at lymm on nights it was a market place , you could swap or buy/sell virtually anything .

That would never happen back in my driving days. We were all honest and trustworthy men who would never steal or handle anything stolen. :blush:

Used to run out of a foundry in Bradford, the forklift driver Stan could not add up properly and quite often he would load an extra box of ally on my wagon, which fetched a good few quid, The one that took some beating was a double extension ladder he took a shine to!! A pal I used to play football with had his own scrap yard and used to bring in scrap cylinder heads to the foundry, he loved the snow because he used to fill up the skip with snow then put in the cylinder heads so he was in fact selling them snow. Happy Days.

When my dad was a owner driver doing fridge work ,he never used money when he was out on the road ,he paid his way with bags of prawns and sara lee gateaux,you had to sit on the lids to close all the familys freezers,sara lee double choc gateaux was the best thing in the world defrosting on the dashboard of a w reg f12 going down the m6 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all,
Apart from my dad falling of the back(side,top,front)of a lorry,we had many a liberated gift from the truck, Apples,toffeecrisps,bananas,blackcurrants,pears,paving stones that were to support the load,bits of timber,rolls of tape,washing liquid(insurance job),rolls of paper,tissue paper,toilet rolls,soaps,rope and many other items that wanted a new home, we even had a fly sheet once,now that is taking the ā– ā– ā– ā– .
R.I.P Dad. :smiley:

Paul

P.S and no, thatā€™s not why I am Ex-postman Paul,

Used to load cherries out of Turi in Italy from Simonfruita when in season and you always got given a box so you left the load intact, so if your ever down that way you will know why there are cherry treeā€™s lining the motorway Buzzer.

Hiya we used to do pop out of Newcastle staffs. we was given 6 big bottles to save us unsheeting one corner to nick possibly
2 bottlesā€¦ that was a good deal i think.when i was on vans if you did dock work early you could get a box of salmon or corned
beef by just driving off the docks. the docker in the passenger seat would say this iā€™ll do drive iā€™ll just let the lads out, iā€™ve left
you some----------in the back, then 20 dockers would jump out of the van and walk away, i never saw anyone get in. at least i
had a box of what ever to chomp away at for weeks and weeksā€¦good old lads them Liverpool dockersā€¦that day
John

Thereā€™s not many of us on here who will admit to things falling off the back of their lorries, because most of us know when you went after a job back then the wages didnā€™t matter too much as long as there was a good fiddle, and I think a lot of bosses knew that, I had some great paying jobs, I wish, but did nicely thank you.

Ossie

I used to load at a factory at Greatham where they made canned goods, Drivers loading there could buy a case containing 24 cans of various soups etc, for 10p, I asked the truck driver why they did this, He told me it was to stop drivers from thieving, Because it caused lots of problems with customers when their delivery was short, Regards Larry.

Must be the way I grew up,i shoud have been a skip driver,as I look in them too :wink: keith

I had a deal going with my mateā€™s Late Dad, he used to drive for a builders merchant & I used to buy Complete packs of bricks, paving slabs, tiles etc off him then sell them on to another mate who was building an extension on his house.

Funniest thing that happened was when the Old Bill visited Late Dads house & interviewed him standing on his patio & no further action was taken against him.

Yep ! You guessed it, the slabs on the patio had ā€˜Fellā€™ off the back of his lorry, along with the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , sand & most of the rest of the building materials in the garden. Lol.

Driving down Fort st Blackburn one day in late 70s behind a delivery van with open back doors when a parcel dropped out onto the road,i braked hard not to run over it,got out and it showed video machine pictures on it.By then the van had gone so I put the parcel in the cab and went on my trip,when I opened parcel got a shock for instead of video recorders it was full of xmas tree lights,what a bummer.But it did literally fall off the back of a wagon which I shared with all the lads on site later. lol. :open_mouth: :frowning: :laughing:

It wasnā€™t only the drivers that liked a bit of ā€œlootā€,the Old Bill were worse when they got the chance.I can recall tales in Kendal of the times when motors went over on the A6 North of Kendal,the Bobbies would load their squad cars up until their arses were dragging on the floor.The favourites were the odd load of Scotch that went over then the load had to be guarded until the Customs and Excise lads arrived,as the load was always ā€œin bondā€ as the tax wasnā€™t yet paid.So they had to try and account for every bottle which included all the tops off the broken ones,they never did as a lot of the bottles ā€œdisappearedā€ without trace,Iā€™m not saying that the Old Bill were the biggest culprits but make no mistake they got their ā€œshareā€ and that was a fact.Happy Days,Howay ye Vikings !! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

I know nothing taking the 5th

animal:

The 5th tin out of every box? Anon 1.

Bewick:

animal:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sweet innocent little me I would never do such a thing ( well maybe the box )

animal:

Bewick:

animal:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sweet innocent little me I would never do such a thing ( well maybe the box )

Too right Ang, You are as good as gold in my book, Regards Larry.

Never went short of fruit and veg on fridges .
Plenty of chocolate on Swiss work.
Boxes of wine and port .
Boxes of flowers on Dutch work.
Plenty of fillet steak on swinging beef.
V. Well dressed on hanging garments.
Always crate of beer on brewery work.
Good life til containers come along.
Never a sniff on containers.