"Fell off the back of a lorry"

So folks - what’s the worst thing any of us have seen “fall off the back”… No need to put your hand up to your own sins, as what falls off your back is kinda out of your own sight.

I’m thinking “What’s fallen off the wagon in front that you’ve had to swerve to avoid…”

I’ve seen a filing cabinet and one of those wicker basket coffins fall off… Nothing really fancy though. How about everyone else?

I saw a 360 excavator fall off the back of the low loader at the plant hire firm I used to work at. He was loading it to take it to a site and misjudged the edge of the trailer. Flattened a few empty oil drums and the farm cat lost one of its nine lifes but no real harm done. Except to the driver who was promptly demoted to driving the sweeper truck

Stopped behind one of my colleagues at a set of traffic lights on a slight incline. When the lights turned green he pulled away and the load of pig guts in his bulker surged backwards and came out over the top and onto the road in front of me. The sheet done a good job of keeping the majority of it in but there was still plenty for the pair of us to scoop up with shovels.

I saw a roll along crane roll off the back of a trailer on a motorway slip rd .

Years ago I smacked into the back of a box truck thst had broken down just of a roundabout on the A5 at Lichfield, had two large wooden crates of what were described as gun buts for the BSA factory near by on the back of a flat which broke the ropes and shot over the side, they weren’t only gun buts but fully assembled spanish made 12 bore shotguns spread all over the A5 !! Got done for that as well …

This is when i first started driving, following an artic loaded with domestic fridges in boxes he lost one on the A1 near South Mimms, i hit it and smashed it to bits.
He’d only got a couple of ropes over the back row but the rest were just held on by gravity, no bends at all on that section the wind must have done the bis.

I’ve been lucky never lost anything to date.

Two brand new JCB telehandlers fell of a lorry on the Waterbridge island at Uttoxeter several months ago…

Steve

Coming up passed Charnock Richard one night a pulled out to let a coach out the slip road, a couple of minutes later he goes passed and the bottom section of his rear luggage compartment was open with cases etc on full view a flashed a couple of times but he disappeared into the distance, sure enough I spent the next 10 or 20 miles dodging cases, burst cases, clothes, buggies etc etc etc.
A lot of very angry passengers that night a guess.

Not really seen anything major but had shopping fall out my van [emoji28] happens a fair bit apparently due to the doors being knackered on a lot of our vans
Also seen A fire engine with the shutter door open driving around nothing fell out tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This links into a thread on the old timers forum: How fast did they go

Around the mid 80s doing Dairy/Chilled on nights Filton Bristol to Nth Manchester (Prestwich area) in a an F12, a nice easy drop & swap job, paid 10 hrs but normally done in 4 as at night the F12 would cruise comfortably at 94 - just a tad faster than Geest’s Fodens running up from Barry with Bananas.

Coming home one night on what was the bendy 2 lane part of the M5 South of Birmingham, probably not doing much more than 75/80, overtaking a traditional British built motor – bit grimy with the usual trail of smoke ( too dark to tell whether it was an Atki or similar) but nicely roped & sheeted & gently puffing on around 65ish.

Suddenly right in front a full coil of 4inch yellow plastic pipe about 8’ wide & 4’high, we were about cab level, so we both must have seen it at the same time, thanks to quick thinking from the inside driver it was instant lights off - ease right off & let me in.

Never met the driver - apart from grateful thanks with the lights - but his perfect reflexes saved what could have been a right mess.

Around the time I got married, my dad lived out near LA so our “honeymoon” was an extended trip out there. During our stay me and the missus decided on a road trip to Vegas for a weekend. We set off about 5am and had only been on Route 101 in our hire car for about 10 minutes when a lorry whizzed past us and an item of cargo fell off. The cargo was one of several crushed cars and everything went slow motion like as this crushed car fell off, bounced, and sort of unravelled as it flew over our car as it bounced. I could see this big metal bumper just unfolding towards us and over our heads. Other than a little bit of debris bouncing up on floorpan of car, it missed us and I’m glad to say any vehicles behind us as I checked my mirrors straight away. The lorry just carried on oblivious to the near carnage caused.
I was already a bag of nerves as I nearly ran over a coyote 5 minutes before. :exclamation:

harrawaffa:
Stopped behind one of my colleagues at a set of traffic lights on a slight incline. When the lights turned green he pulled away and the load of pig guts in his bulker surged backwards and came out over the top and onto the road in front of me. The sheet done a good job of keeping the majority of it in but there was still plenty for the pair of us to scoop up with shovels.

I feel your pain there nowt more smelly than that . I used to pick them up in a closed skip years ago just out side stowmarket years ago and would purposely go thru the town good fun watching people retching lol .

I very nearly lost a load of tesco cages once. I was up near Southport somewhere and stopped facing up a hill. The lights changed, I set off, and there was an almighty crash. I thought someone had run into the back of me and stopped to have a look.

The loaders were supposed to strap every third row but the lazy sods had missed a few and used straps with knots in. Half a dozen heavy cages had smashed the roller shutter, but the tail lift kept them from falling off.I didn’t dare drop the tail lift so drove carefully onto a flat bit of road and braked hard enough to send them forward so I could tie them up again.

I carried on to the shop and we cleared the wrecked shutter so I could carry on.

chester1:
[quote="harrawaffa

I feel your pain there nowt more smelly than that . I used to pick them up in a closed skip years ago just out side stowmarket years ago and would purposely go thru the town good fun watching people retching lol .

Bacton ■■?

raymundo:

chester1:
[quote="harrawaffa

Bacton ■■?

bacon…dont you have a spellchecker?? :slight_smile:

raymundo:

chester1:
[quote="harrawaffa

Bacton ■■?

Not sure it was bacton sure more stowupland it was late 80s Norfolk and Suffolk pigs comes to mind but just googled that but it def wasn’t as far out as mellis . Often used to pop home in the day time and one of the naibors phoned up the boss and complained of the smell and that was of just of the smell of the wheels as had sunk a bit in it on the tip .

Ste46:
Two brand new JCB telehandlers fell of a lorry on the Waterbridge island at Uttoxeter several months ago…

Steve

Saw them, I think it was my old firm as well, Brit European.

well a few years back a pick up went past me when I was in Cyprus …a large box came off it but he just went off into the distance.I stopped to have a look in the box only to find a complete an office air condition unit undamaged. I took it to the local nick because I thought the driver may go looking for it they never said kiss my …or anything

Mate of mine had an incident about 2 years ago,

We call him ‘lightning’ for obvious reasons

He came back to depot early from his regular trunk, the night manager said, do us a favour & run that motor down the mail centre & gave him a set of keys,
Well they were loading on bays 2 & 3 for 2 separate mail centres,

Yes you have guessed, he took the truck on bay 2, they were still loading it,
Bay 3 was finished, but they gave him wrong keys

He jumps in - flies off out the gate, gets a mile down the road & flashed up to say his shutter was open,
He retraced his route & found the Yorks full of mail tubs at the corner, and found a guy pushing one down the road,

He said ‘Oi, that’s mine’ - the other guy said ‘No it ain’t - it says Royal Mail on here’
Lightning say’s ‘Maybe it does, but it came out of my truck, it’s not theirs until I get it there’

I’ve never lost a load from a truck, but I once went to the local shops in my car for a few groceries and when I
returned home I thought a couple of hot chicks nearby were giving me the eye… only then did I realise I’d driven
back home with two tins of soup on the roof of my car!

I’m surprised they never fell off and that probably explains why I’ve never lost a load… steady driver!! Lol :laughing: