Backloads

tonyhogi:
I thought i’d start this thread to stir some childhood memories :slight_smile: , those of you on general haulage in the 60s & 70s must have had some regular/common places that you delivered to or backloaded from …see how many you can recall :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

used to backloads newsprint for lancashire from purfleet. had to go into whitechapel first to agents office to get back scotch and bag of scotches(to be returned) Remember some drivers being rejected for loading(nails in deck ect) this was late 70s early 80s,We hung around our depot at south mims on a friday while the office tried to get decent back loads for scotland or lancashire ,they usually gave up early afternnon and we where told to pair up and go to a nearby yard and piggy back, dont think they do that anymore,okay if the trailer has a good floor, hell of a rear overhang though.

Plenty of backloads from Bradford/Leeds to Immingham if anyone wants `em

ramone:

Bet it’s all wool. :unamused:

Swifts was still mainly a general haulier in the 70’s , my old man sorting his own backloads , the ones i remember are Reeds sittingbourne ? loading reels of newsprint , somewhere near wimbledon loading waste paper , steel from Smiths of madison stockton? , i vaguely remember him calling into federateds office trafford park? for a load , lenham storage in kent , reels of newsprint from portbury dock , spuds from musselburgh , as long as you had chains , backscotch chocks , timbers ( usually stored on the trailer leg supports ) 2 half sheets & fly you could load anything & be out all week

Well when I started on long distance work in 1957

What went wrong there, ■■? Anyway as I was saying wherever I went I had to phone around for a return load, Mind you there was allways plenty of return traffic in those good old days, One Company I drove for used to give us a list of firms not to backload from, There was quite a few of them, But the god ones ones made up for the dodgey ones, I recall loading fire bricks from several brick yards in Scotland around the Falkirk & Airdrey location, Off of a Bloke called Bobby Martin, It was an ongoing job in the 50/60s Era when the steel works at Consett & Teeside were booming, Happy long gone days, Regards Larry.

Retired Old ■■■■:

ramone:

Hi Rof, are you taking the ■■■■ there’s not many sheep left in Bradford, they are all palletised in pots of curry sauce.
Les.

3300John:
HI ya…this should stir some grey matter consort carriers (i think that was who handled some of sammy williams reels)I think they had a porta.
cabin on a side st off the mile end road…■■■■■■■■ they was a regular for a reload out of the east end,and Chatam area.
Swains of Rochester…leeds General haulage was a first…then A one… Henry tyrer Liverpool (Timber ).
Hull was that IJ Blakey dock work and some Croda loads… and Capper pass smelting plant nr Hull.(tin ingots)loads money non stop to metal box.
Edinbrough was a small out fit Pollock (you did say the 70s)hand ball spuds of Leigh docks… Glasgow John Smile Goven (usually timber).
Dudley area JH Cotton (bricks/ coils) BRS jct 2 M5 (billits out of Bilston for runcorn) See John Ofarall runcorn docs Coils for Stoke/west mids.
Garston docks Coil and plate for any where look for John Ofarall you allways knew where to find him by going into a Cafe on the Dock road and .
get the word of other drivers…RTS ally ingots out of Runcorn for Bridgenorth.
Jack wild Stoke usually south east…Hulland products Derby. ring in they always had somthing.
Federated they had a few depots i think i used Norwich the most…Brs silvertown/Brs Bridgewater…Ackwoth/Onward had a few depots.
Avonmouth that was A one IICR …CRS Sandbach… Carmans Scolar green …William Kirk Macclesfield area…and Swains Macc.
Tipping work Frank Carlisle/Chapman and Ball/Carefoots and Ashley tsp all sudded Salt out of Winsford.
Chippendales stone out of Kendal. we did work out of Stoke for many firms witch would have been back loads for other companys.
these are a few i used in the 70s it was not very often you would travel empty if you,d got chains/ wedges/ back scotch/coil irons and good sheets.
John

Hi, used to load ingots from Avonmouth for Capper Pass, great load, quick on, quick off.
Les.

Retired Old ■■■■:

ramone:

Well its bales but not wool full loads

Zinc ingots out of Salford docks for Sheffield and Worksop off Springfield Haulage,Trafford Road office.
Standards of timber for Rothervale Sheffield and Masons Nottingham out of Canada Dock off L’pool BRS Studholme Street.
Angle iron out of District Iron and Steel Brasshouse Lane off Holyhead Road for Yorks steel stockholders off Hickinbottoms Walsall.
Die blocks out of Walter Somers Halesowen for Sheffield off Round Oak Motor Services Dudley.
Concrete paving/slabs from a firm down ■■■■■■■■■ Lane near the A1 off Grantham Road Services.
Moroccan potatoes off Rochester Docks for Gateacre Liverpool off North Kent BRS.
Channel Island tomatoes for Lancs/Yorks markets off Mainland Market Deliveries Hampshire Terrace Portsmouth.
Steel strip out of BSC Corby for Yorks off BRS Corby and odd times off Federated Road Services Market Harborough.
Seed potatoes for Lincs off David Lawson Kirriemuir.
Tinplate out of Abbey Works for Yorks - can’t recall if it was off BRS or direct off SCOW.
Fullers Earth for Yorks out of Laportes Redhill off BRS - can’t remember if it was a Redhill depot or maybe Crawley.
Electrodes out of Anglo Great Lakes Scotswood Road for Tinsley Park off McPhees on City Road Newcastle.

And others who I can’t remember at the moment… :laughing:

I thought i’d start this thread to stir some childhood memories :slight_smile: , those of you on general haulage in the 60s & 70s must have had some regular/common places that you delivered to or backloaded from …see how many you can recall :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Delivered into RHM at Brierley Hill every day in the early 70s and more often than not reloaded from Silver Roadways whos office was on the industrial estate behind the mosaic suppliers on the Dudley roundabout there were two guys in the office Bert and Dave old Bert always had his dog with him O happy days.

Back in the 60s.anyone remember the old boys hanging around on the dock road in Liverpool,trying to get a bit of beer money from the clearing houses,for getting a driver to take one of their loads?
i usually back loaded sugar via Silver Roadways or PEPSI or was it COKE off J+H,but J+Hs rates were rubbish,but as i,d just handballed off 20ton of bags in the docks,palletts of anything looked good to me!. Used Silver Roadways a lot,in london,their office down a little side street off Jamaica road,and in South wales for tin plate to Tate+Lyle in silvertown.
a
anywhere i wasnt sure who to contact,the back of Headlight magazine was usefull…chris ps.or a copy of ABC of Transport gave you a whole list of hauliers in the local area.

HI ya…this should stir some grey matter consort carriers (i think that was who handled some of sammy williams reels)I think they had a porta.
cabin on a side st off the mile end road…■■■■■■■■ they was a regular for a reload out of the east end,and Chatam area.
Swains of Rochester…leeds General haulage was a first…then A one… Henry tyrer Liverpool (Timber ).
Hull was that IJ Blakey dock work and some Croda loads… and Capper pass smelting plant nr Hull.(tin ingots)loads money non stop to metal box.
Edinbrough was a small out fit Pollock (you did say the 70s)hand ball spuds of Leigh docks… Glasgow John Smile Goven (usually timber).
Dudley area JH Cotton (bricks/ coils) BRS jct 2 M5 (billits out of Bilston for runcorn) See John Ofarall runcorn docs Coils for Stoke/west mids.
Garston docks Coil and plate for any where look for John Ofarall you allways knew where to find him by going into a Cafe on the Dock road and .
get the word of other drivers…RTS ally ingots out of Runcorn for Bridgenorth.
Jack wild Stoke usually south east…Hulland products Derby. ring in they always had somthing.
Federated they had a few depots i think i used Norwich the most…Brs silvertown/Brs Bridgewater…Ackwoth/Onward had a few depots.
Avonmouth that was A one IICR …CRS Sandbach… Carmans Scolar green …William Kirk Macclesfield area…and Swains Macc.
Tipping work Frank Carlisle/Chapman and Ball/Carefoots and Ashley tsp all sudded Salt out of Winsford.
Chippendales stone out of Kendal. we did work out of Stoke for many firms witch would have been back loads for other companys.
these are a few i used in the 70s it was not very often you would travel empty if you,d got chains/ wedges/ back scotch/coil irons and good sheets.
John

BACK LOADS WERE HEY IT DID,NT MATTER REALLY BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SUCH THING , THAT WAGON HAD TO BE LOADED ,
SO IF YOU LOADED SOUTHAMPTON TIPPED LIVERPOOL,RELOADED SKELMERSDALE TO HULL THE GUVNOR WAS PAID AND SO WERE YOU BUT I KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING :cry: :cry:

One backload i always remember, was a length of Ships Anchor chain,off Humber McViegh in Grimsby for Cardiff,up and down the trailer twice = 20 ton,
set off on the A46 back towards Lincoln,and after a few miles i saw this Brown 6 wheel tipper comeing towards me round a slight left hand bend,but that was the trouble,he kept on comeing towards me,i got over as far as i could,i think i had a few wheels on the verge,when he suddenly swerved away,showering me with coke!,and kept going! talk about your life before your eyes! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i pulled into the first lay-by i found,and had a walk to calm down and stop shaking! then carried on,when i got to Cardiff, the crane lifted off the chain,and there must have been 3 or 4 bags of coke all over the bed,the blokes in the shipyard had it for their brazier and gave me a £2,so at least i got a drink out of it!..chris

Right, as i was only a ‘kid’ i hope you’ll forgive my vague memory , so here’s just some of the places i sort of remember going to with my dad in the mid to late 70s…
Reeds paper mills - loading reels somewhere in Kent , Quaker’s - Southall ,Portbury dock , Hull docks , Southampton docks , Liverpool docks , Londons royal docks ,Rockware @ Knottingley & wheatley , United glass @ Harlow ,Fords tractor plant @ Basildon , Smith’s of madison - Stockton (load steel?) , Dagenham dock? , Lenham storage ,Federated @ Trafford park & i’m sure he(dad) got backloads from somewhere called West malling in Kent , there’s loads more, but that’s all i can think of for now :blush: :blush:

Montague L Meyers was a regular for me at river rd barking, and Meyers on king george dock at hull too. Used to load ply out of navy dock at Harwich, Reels out of Purfleet paper mill, where you had an inch either side of the loading bay to back into. Always loaded for stoke area out of WBB Newton Abbott. Spuds out of Ladybank in fife, soap powder out of Procter and Gamble Thurrock, G.A.F Heeleys london rd thurrock, F.C Wrights just over the rd from Heeleys, Convoys Wharf deptford, Brittons Timber cardiff, Cardiff wire, to name but a few…

Used to do a lot of backloads out of Sammy Williams at Dagenham dock.Steel coils or wood pulp were favourite.
Also did newsprint out of Convoys for Glasgow if I could get it.
When I was an o/d,used to load back from Glasgow from William Nuttal on Glasgow docks.
Also as an o/d,the best contact I had was working direct for English China Clay out of St.Austell to most parts of the country.Everything was palletised which was a rare thing in those days!

when i worked for John Dee Eurofreight at dover the arse of a transport manager would get backloads of fertiser in 1000kg bags.
ok on a flat or taut but he used to do it to the lads with tilts so strip down to load then strip down to unload.
no wonder John Dee bit the dust, he would back load us from essex to places the other side of brighton then run back empty from there to dover / ramsgate