Favourite Roadside Cafes for Drivers

tommy t:

UKtramp:
Well it isn’t me, I simply said I would love to see a gym and tanning studio attached to truck stops. Beats sitting in your cab all night. It is just a facility that is better than a McDonalds or a tacky shop.

where was Muck Donalds mentioned? potion size was as was a free refill on a cup of tea/coffee a cup of tea coffee don’t make you fat unless it’s laced with sugar, and many don’t take sugar and sometimes that meal in the truck stop maybe the 1st proper meal of the day since breakfast

You would be hard pushed to get a proper meal in your average truck stop. McDonalds are mentioned by me. They are attached to lots of MSAs now. And coffee and tea does indeed build up the fat in you without sugar. It is the milk so unless your drinking black tea and no milk or sugar and same for coffee then your wrong. If your doing a 15 hr shift tramping then change your job, I like a good gym session at the end of my shift. Your sat in a truck fella not running a marathon.

I’m with you on the gym thing UKT. Only last night I used one in Cardiff, I spent 30 minutes on the first machine and nearly made myself vomit with it, there were crisps, coke, chocolate and all sorts in it.

UKtramp:

tommy t:

UKtramp:
Well it isn’t me, I simply said I would love to see a gym and tanning studio attached to truck stops. Beats sitting in your cab all night. It is just a facility that is better than a McDonalds or a tacky shop.

where was Muck Donalds mentioned? potion size was as was a free refill on a cup of tea/coffee a cup of tea coffee don’t make you fat unless it’s laced with sugar, and many don’t take sugar and sometimes that meal in the truck stop maybe the 1st proper meal of the day since breakfast

You would be hard pushed to get a proper meal in your average truck stop. McDonalds are mentioned by me. They are attached to lots of MSAs now. And coffee and tea does indeed build up the fat in you without sugar. It is the milk so unless your drinking black tea and no milk or sugar and same for coffee then your wrong. If your doing a 15 hr shift tramping then change your job, I like a good gym session at the end of my shift. Your sat in a truck fella not running a marathon.

I Never by anything from MSA’s I loath having to park up for my daily rest in them
As for the milk causing you to get fat, nope scientific research suggests otherwise a pint of milk last me several days if only used for brewing up with, SUGAR is the KILLER it’s in lots of foods but hidden, most of your low fat ready meals are full of it, Even bread has sugar in it,

tommy t:
I Never by anything from MSA’s I loath having to park up for my daily rest in them
As for the milk causing you to get fat, nope scientific research suggests otherwise a pint of milk last me several days if only used for brewing up with, SUGAR is the KILLER it’s in lots of foods but hidden, most of your low fat ready meals are full of it, Even bread has sugar in it,

Salt, don’t forget full of salt too. Wholemeal bread is fine but only 2 slices per day. White bread is terrible for you and bloats your gut up. If your going to have milk then skimmed is the least fat content. I am sounding like a personal trainer now.

The old hutte takes some beating , stuff the gym ,I don’t need excersise like that ,I get enough just working .

Punchy Dan:
The old hutte takes some beating , stuff the gym ,I don’t need excersise like that ,I get enough just working .

Not the same type of exercise though Punchy Dan, if hard work developed you a physique like mine, then there wouldn’t be any need for gyms and healthy eating. I am very god like tbh.

UKtramp:

tommy t:

Salt, don’t forget full of salt too. Wholemeal bread is fine but only 2 slices per day. White bread is terrible for you and bloats your gut up. If your going to have milk then skimmed is the least fat content. I am sounding like a personal trainer now.

milk there is evidence that Full fat milk is actually better for you than skimmed because the processing chemically changes its structure apparently, natural fats aren’t bad for you in sensible quantities, it’s the trans fats in cooking oils that are a problem, salt, I don’t add to my food but again it’s fine in moderation
Potatoes, Rice, Pasta bread(mainly due to the amount of sugar, which isn’t needed, but is used to speed up the reaction of the yeast) all are full of carbohydrates it’s these types of foods along with all foods with hidden sugars in foods that are causing the obesity crisis and a big factor in type 2 diabetes

UKtramp:

Markyboy1008:
The A1 Truckstop Diner, Bourne Road, Colsterworth, Grantham NG33 5JN has to be mine.
I have been stopping here for years and never been disappointed.

Very friendly staff, great portions and a second cup of tea or coffee free. A good choice and some great breakfasts. :smiley:

Sounds like a typical truck stop type diner that is creating an obese driver with the statements “great portions” a “second cup of tea or coffee” and “some great breakfasts” those statements alone would put me off going there tbh. I would love to see truck stops having a gym and tanning studio attached to them rather than this.

A tanning studio?!..ok sweetie would you also like a nail bar so you can get your nails done too?

Theres a cafe between Huerza and Jaca just south of the Pyrenees, i always stop there without fail every week, top notch food and the perfect cup of tea. :smiley:

Re gyms, i have to agree with UKT on this one, we have a subsidised gym next door to our yard at Malaga which i use and also a fitness room of sorts at Reims and use the gym in my home town Nerja. Dont know if it would ever catch on at cafes ect though as i doubt they just would get the use. Currently at only 12% bodyfat index, difficult to keep in check if not preparing your own food, the reason the above is the only place once a week ill eat there otherwise its all cooked up outside the cab, cheaper as well as healthier…

tommy t:
milk there is evidence that Full fat milk is actually better for you than skimmed because the processing chemically changes its structure apparently, natural fats aren’t bad for you in sensible quantities, it’s the trans fats in cooking oils that are a problem, salt, I don’t add to my food but again it’s fine in moderation
Potatoes, Rice, Pasta bread(mainly due to the amount of sugar, which isn’t needed, but is used to speed up the reaction of the yeast) all are full of carbohydrates it’s these types of foods along with all foods with hidden sugars in foods that are causing the obesity crisis and a big factor in type 2 diabetes

Well this is exactly the point of my comment from the off, glad we are singing from the same hymn sheet. I am truly concerned at the size of some of my fellow truckers. Their health depends on not only themselves but at how easily a gym and healthy food is available at truck stops. Rather than sticking a McDonalds on them or KFC we should be expecting gyms and fine cuisine been offered. Tanning studios are a luxury I can do without but they do go hand in hand with a gym.

AndrewG:
Theres a cafe between Huerza and Jaca just south of the Pyrenees, i always stop there without fail every week, top notch food and the perfect cup of tea. :smiley:

Re gyms, i have to agree with UKT on this one, we have a subsidised gym next door to our yard at Malaga which i use and also a fitness room of sorts at Reims and use the gym in my home town Nerja. Dont know if it would ever catch on at cafes ect though as i doubt they just would get the use. Currently at only 12% bodyfat index, difficult to keep in check if not preparing your own food, the reason the above is the only place once a week ill eat there otherwise its all cooked up outside the cab, cheaper as well as healthier…

hallelujah, at last someone else who can see sense in what I have said. In cab cooking fresh healthy ingredients is the only way to go. If they can do it in Europe then why not here

UKtramp:

Markyboy1008:
The A1 Truckstop Diner, Bourne Road, Colsterworth, Grantham NG33 5JN has to be mine.

Very friendly staff, great portions and a second cup of tea or coffee free. A good choice and some great breakfasts. :smiley:

Sounds like a typical truck stop type diner that is creating an obese driver with the statements “great portions” a “second cup of tea or coffee” and “some great breakfasts” those statements alone would put me off going there tbh. I would love to see truck stops having a gym and tanning studio attached to them rather than this.

Behave yourself,you’re on another wind up mission.

UKtramp:

Markyboy1008:

So using sunbeds which im guessing you mean by tanning shops isn’t just as bad as eating unhealthy food?
I take my own food to work, sometimes stop at mcds and get a brekki depending how I feel, I don’t drink their coffee though as it gives me heartburn. 2 weetabix full milk, 1 sandwich, crisps, banana and 2L of water.
But back to the original post I haven’t stopped at any proper trucks stops and ate apart from Markham Moor which looks ok…

jamieh1990:
So using sunbeds which im guessing you mean by tanning shops isn’t just as bad as eating unhealthy food?
I take my own food to work, sometimes stop at mcds and get a brekki depending how I feel, I don’t drink their coffee though as it gives me heartburn. 2 weetabix full milk, 1 sandwich, crisps, banana and 2L of water.
But back to the original post I haven’t stopped at any proper trucks stops and ate apart from Markham Moor which looks ok…

Are you serious? using a sunbed, no way hose, what kind of tramp do you take me for, I am talking spray tan here. It gives a nice golden all over even tan. I would not be seen dead stood in a tanning booth. Sunbeds can cause skin cancer and all sorts of other complications that you can think of FFS give me strength. Are you living in the dark ages, sun beds are so yesterday.

UKtramp:

jamieh1990:

Are you serious? using a sunbed, no way hose, what kind of tramp do you take me for, I am talking spray tan here. It gives a nice golden all over even tan. I would not be seen dead stood in a tanning booth. Sunbeds can cause skin cancer and all sorts of other complications that you can think of FFS give me strength. Are you living in the dark ages, sun beds are so yesterday.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: donkey your becoming your old self.

UKtramp:
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: donkey your becoming your old self.

You’re *

I agree completely with the idea that services food is generally pretty poor. But they’ll only sell what people will buy, and if people want to buy lard sandwiches, they’ll sell lard sandwiches.

The gym idea is pretty good, but I doubt there would be sufficient clientele to make it viable. Plus, you’d have to have an induction before you could use it.

Anyone who fake tans needs testosterone replacement therapy. End.

the maoster:
I’m with you on the gym thing UKT. Only last night I used one in Cardiff, I spent 30 minutes on the first machine and nearly made myself vomit with it, there were crisps, coke, chocolate and all sorts in it.

+1 there my man.
last time i went to the gym i found the only one i could use to help me impress the ladies was the cashline machine just inside the front door…it works for me anyhow… :slight_smile:

truckercash.jpg

I’ve never had any problems getting healthy food at The Pit Stop and they do have a gym there although I can’t say I have used it.

However, there must be more than 2 decent truck stops in the country surely? UKT stop hijacking the thread and we might all begin to learn something to our advantage…