Roadside Cafes

I know decent cafes are dwindling anybody know of any good reasonably priced ones?

Are you talking about a building that is dedicated to being a cafe or a van/caravan in a layby??

If it is a dedicated Building, will be a pretty short list there is not many left

It’s been 4 years but i think the ‘Super Sausage’ on the old A5 at Pottersbury, between Towcester and Milton Keynes has alway been the best value that I can remember.

Midway Truckstop, Prees, 2 miles south of Whitchurch, Shrops. jct. A41/A49

Lincoln Farm Cafe, Hampton in Arden, Warwicks. from NEC/ Birmingham Airport follow signs for A452 Kenilworth.

Red Lion A45 Northampton.

Try looking Here as well. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :wink:

Red Lodge, A11

yes cliff its still there !! and the gravys still like treacle !!

and dont forget the Silver Ball at royston

I dunno about the Gravy, I always have Burgers, Eggs, Beans and Chips…buuurppp! :blush:

and if you tilt your head slightly the car park resembles the ■■■■■■■■■■■■ :wink:

hungry horse on the a47 just east of swaffham. recmmended

sea view( i think) a1 northbound, behind the shell garage just before raf wittering (highly recommended and much better than kates cabin, imho)

salt box cafe on the a511 at hatton(used to be the old a50 before the new stoke to notts road.

locals are trying to turn it into a 7.5 ton weight limit though :imp:

jon

Colsterworth Truckstop on the A1 does a cracking omelette (no pun intended). No use whatsoever for anything else, mind (except fuel)…it’s the only reason I go in there (that and it comes in under our £7.50 parking allowance… :confused: ).:grimacing:

The Fox, a little further south, is better for the non-omelette eaters…£5 parking but you get it all back in food. :wink:

Jonboy,
There is already a 7.5 tonne weight limit, but it only stretches from the Salt Box to Hilton. You have to come off at the Burton exit (A 511 I think), Same one as Dove Valley Hays. Still well worth it though, as the food is excellent and reasonably priced
Regards
Trev

:smiley: Aye, agree with you Lucy about Colsterworth aka A1 Diner, although their full breakfast is the best I’ve ever had. Always stop there when passing for my breakfast (even if it is 3pm in the afternoon lol).

Started frequenting Whitwood Truck Stop M62 J31 as well and the old dear that sometimes works there is cracking - “breakfast■■? It’s flaming 2 o’clock in the afternoon!!!” LOL. They don’t do hash browns though, and that’s just the biggest crime ever!

I think the food at the Dooley (Felixstowe) is going down hill. Had a steak there on Wednesday night and wasn’t impressed. It had more fat on it than my gut.

Although not a cafe, and merely a mobile van - if you’re heading for Seaforth dock from the top of the M57 at the 2nd or 3rd set of lights you come to there’s a McD’s on the right hand side. If you turn left at those lights it takes you into an industrial estate and there’s a food van on the right hand side. AVOID! I was throwing up and off work for nearly a week and stupidly I should have smelled a rat when the food tasted pretty nasty. Oddly, one of our other drivers swears by it, not at it like myself.

Anyway, I really should be eating fruit and salad sarnies instead of these big english breakfasts. Grrrr.

Brgds

Speedy

I forgot about Whitwood, the food’s not bad at all there, and the shower is the best in England - or the women’s is, anyway! No daft tokens which time out for us, either…have stayed under for over an hour before, did a very good impression of a prune! :open_mouth:

That said, we’ve had a couple of our wagons broken into there, both in broad daylight…consequently it’s one I tend to save for when I’m tipping Hiway Express over the road. Nice 5hr handball tip that, spot on for a Monday morning - time for a shower, dinner, and a kip to make up the inevitable Sunday night sleep deficit! :grimacing:

As for the Felixstowe Drivers’ Canteens…Landguard is far and away the best, for future reference. :wink:

Ma Larkins at J27 M1.Heading north,come off,up the sliproad,and when you get to the top,look over to your left just outside the Motorway maintenance yard.Very handy.It’s an ex BR personnel carrier,in yellow.

Drive past,spin round in the small lay by on the left,and park in the big lay by on the opposite side,if you can,as it’s usually busy.

You can also ring her if your nearby,to find out if she has space,and order your grub.I have the number if anyone wants it.

The pota cabin on the A1 southbound, just south of the 50mph speed limit at Elkesley. Thier ham is real & its open 24/7.
If you are in the Grantham area, The Roman cafe on the A52 is fairly good, & we often stop in at Welford on the A14, Its the junction before/after the M6/1.

Drivers canteen on Landguard?? :open_mouth: Do spill, Lucy.

How many years have I been coming down here and still wasn’t aware there was one. :open_mouth: This is going back to the days when a Landguard box swap was an all day job, Felixstowe point wasn’t fenced off and in the hot summer months a group of us regulars used to strip off and go swimming in the sea whilst waiting! When we got bored of that we’d get the fold-away deckchairs out and play cards whilst we were waiting. The terminal gaffers just loved that :unamused: and used to zoom in on us to check we weren’t betting using money. What they didn’t know was that the matchsticks we used were exchanged for money afterwards :sunglasses: Them were the days…

Brgds

Speedy

alan:
The pota cabin on the A1 southbound, just south of the 50mph speed limit at Elkesley. Thier ham is real & its open 24/7.
If you are in the Grantham area, The Roman cafe on the A52 is fairly good, & we often stop in at Welford on the A14, Its the junction before/after the M6/1.

perhaps they are good (both sides) but i hate being dictated to the fact that i cant overnight in the layby !! what right have they to paint on there cesspits that overnight parking is not allowed !! in THEIR laybys ■■?