Farmers

Farmers… Better suited to cattle than people :stuck_out_tongue::D:-D:-D:-D

Retired Old ■■■■:
No doubt, Smurf, but I’ll bet you’ve known a few farmers who fit the description?

I do indeed, mind you, dad has a pile of scrap metal that’s been lying around since before I can remember. Told him to throw it away countless times before someone drives over it with the tractor and he ends up with a few holes in the tyres but no, it’s still there, maybe one day the old bent warped rusty gate that’ll crumble up in your hand as soon as you lift it might just come in useful.

Anyone who has ever lived in the country has known a few like that! If they’d weighed it in when it first became useless they could have made a shilling or two.

bazza123:

GasGas:
I’ve not been that way for years but there was a farm near Wisbech that had a complete history of the combine harvester parked up in a field near the farm…starting off with a Massey Harris ‘bagger’. I used to think they should have be preserved for prosperity.

Question: we have people preserving classic buses, trucks, tractors etc, but is there anyone preserving/restoring classic combine harvesters?

That farm on the roundabout of the A1101 and the 47 had scrap farm machinery on their land for about thirty years - near the road on the left side as you approach the roundabout. I think it has finally gone!

Yes, I think that’s where it was.

Farmer out for the day, market again, can it be market day every day or just when he knows it will be a handball delivery and all the family have bad backs too.
Note left in barn. " Driver, please dump the load at the back of the barn over the cobbled stoned track, it is only a short track of 1000 metres, hope you have a sack or pump truck to get it down there. Thanks Farmer Giles."
“Keys are in the tractor if you need it but the battery is flat as a do-do, it has been a hard year and i can not afford a new battery this year.” :unamused:

Gross weight for a tractor and trailer is 25 ton !!!

Dave the Renegade:

Yes? whats your problem? those are quadrant bales x 40 at 300kg = 12 ton of straw, trailer 4 ton leaving 8.4 ton for the little Fendt 716, way under weight.

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

Yes? whats your problem? those are quadrant bales x 40 at 300kg = 12 ton of straw, trailer 4 ton leaving 8.4 ton for the little Fendt 716, way under weight.

I would like to see that on a weighbridge,also the boys pulling an artic trailer on a dolly behind a tractor loaded with straw. Also their is very rarely a number plate on the trailer. If a bale fell onto your vehicle whilst following,how do you identify who the tractor is registered to ?

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

I would like to see that on a weighbridge,also the boys pulling an artic trailer on a dolly behind a tractor loaded with straw. Also their is very rarely a number plate on the trailer. If a bale fell onto your vehicle whilst following,how do you identify who the tractor is registered to ?

I tell you that little outfit would be underweight. All trailers need to show a number plate registered to a tractor on the farm but not necessarily the tractor towing.

Dave the Renegade:
…Also their is very rarely a number plate on the trailer. If a bale fell onto your vehicle whilst following,how do you identify who the tractor is registered to ?

I think there would be more pressing concerns than who the tractor is registered to if a bale fell onto your vehicle whilst following.

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

I tell you that little outfit would be underweight. All trailers need to show a number plate registered to a tractor on the farm but not necessarily the tractor towing.

I would say there is more likely to be 60 bales on that trailer puntabrava. I realise that you are from the farming fraternity, but I have also lived in a farming area all of my life.

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

I would say there is more likely to be 60 bales on that trailer puntabrava. I realise that you are from the farming fraternity, but I have also lived in a farming area all of my life.

What’s this got to do with gates ?

Dave the Renegade:

GasGas:
I’ve not been that way for years but there was a farm near Wisbech that had a complete history of the combine harvester parked up in a field near the farm…starting off with a Massey Harris ‘bagger’. I used to think they should have be preserved for prosperity.

Question: we have people preserving classic buses, trucks, tractors etc, but is there anyone preserving/restoring classic combine harvesters?

It showed a bloke on Countryfile a few weeks with hundreds of old combines. He is making a good living breaking them for spares.

My mate has a ‘classic combine’ (1971 Massey Ferguson) which he still uses for contracting work as well as Vintage Shows. We spent last Saturday in a field fitting a secondhand auxilary driveshaft to it, that came from the guy shown on Countryfile.

Pete.

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

Having done a fair bit of straw, theres 40 Quads on that load (he’s not really trying very hard as he could have got another layer on :wink: ), and Puntabrava will be spot on with the weight, I could get 60 quads on a stepframe which gave a payload around 18-22 tonnes, or 300-383kgs each :slight_smile:

windrush:

Dave the Renegade:

GasGas:

It showed a bloke on Countryfile a few weeks with hundreds of old combines. He is making a good living breaking them for spares.

My mate has a ‘classic combine’ (1971 Massey Ferguson) which he still uses for contracting work as well as Vintage Shows. We spent last Saturday in a field fitting a secondhand auxilary driveshaft to it, that came from the guy shown on Countryfile.

Pete.

I get to move the odd collectors item

But they’re not as popular as old tractors as they can’t be taken to shows and the like as easily.

I drove one of those when it was new. It was during a spell when magistrates decided I could do without my licence for six months. Enjoyed the job & stuck it for a year but had to go back to lorry driving as the bank manager was threatening to have me consigned to debtors’ prison.

Big Joe:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

Having done a fair bit of straw, theres 40 Quads on that load (he’s not really trying very hard as he could have got another layer on :wink: ), and Puntabrava will be spot on with the weight, I could get 60 quads on a stepframe which gave a payload around 18-22 tonnes, or 300-383kgs each :slight_smile:

Its strapped down better than most lorry loads too :wink:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

What about the one on farming forum 3 weeks ago bragging his gross was 62ton on a big tanker.

In my experience farmers want the dirt cheap (pardon the pun) aggregate like brick rubble straight from a site, then whinge about rubbish in it like wire, plastic etc. If you’re that worred then buy proper limestone.

What price do the farmers expect steel scrap to get to before they will let go of those upturned harrows in the gate. They have been there for over 30 years and that Acrobat hay turner is rotten and hasn’t been used since 1972 :laughing: