Mud on road

I have always thought it was illegal for farmers to leave mud on the road :question: today was coming back to base in my truck, doing 38mph when i came round the corner and saw a sign for mud on the road, the sign was right next to where the mud started and it was thick mud the road was covered not just a light covering, just past the corner a tractor was parked half on the road and half on the verge i had to break for a car coming the other way so i could overtake and i could feel the ABS kicking in as i pressed the brake pedal :exclamation: :open_mouth: .

is there a “limit” as to how much they can get away with :question: i have only ever seen one farmer cleaning the road up with a road sweeper attachment on the front of his tractor.

in the summer its not to bad but in the winter it can get dangerous esp for a car plus my truck gets dirty :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

It is illegal for farmers to leave mud on the road,but nobody seems to enforce the law regarding farmers.They get away with all sorts of things regarding the state of the tractors and machinery they take on the road in any condition. As for the mud,if a haulier or a builder left a mess like they do,it would be a court job.But in the country area’s,who are the magistrates,you’ve guessed it-farmers. :unamused:

Unreal. There’s a sign saying mud on the road and there’s a parked vehicle on the side of the road and your ABS has to kick in due to this emergency or suddenly unforseen situation? You’re supposed to drive at a speed enabeling you to stop, ok in the real world most of us don’t but i certainley wouldn’t bleat about it if i couldn’t stop. If you can’t stop its your own fault.
Regards leaving mud on the roads you two wanna try looking at some truck stops yards and lorry yards and see how they are. Farmers leaving mud on the roads? Whatever next.

Mike-C:
Unreal. There’s a sign saying mud on the road and there’s a parked vehicle on the side of the road and your ABS has to kick in due to this emergency or suddenly unforseen situation? You’re supposed to drive at a speed enabeling you to stop, ok in the real world most of us don’t but i certainley wouldn’t bleat about it if i couldn’t stop. If you can’t stop its your own fault.
Regards leaving mud on the roads you two wanna try looking at some truck stops yards and lorry yards and see how they are. Farmers leaving mud on the roads? Whatever next.

I was just thinking the same thing.

I drive down country lanes to farms every day of the week and always drive about expecting the unexpected.

Ive had to stop quick many times even when crawling along at about 15mph, you never know whats round the corner, tractors arent normally a problem you can see them over the hedges most of the time, but what about cyclists, old codgers in Metros out for a “nice drive”, stray sheep, sheepdogs, the occasional cow(they do loads of damage if you hit one).
Alright farmers should clean up the mud but in the real world it aint gonna happen.

Dave the Renegade:
It is illegal for farmers to leave mud on the road,but nobody seems to enforce the law regarding farmers.They get away with all sorts of things regarding the state of the tractors and machinery they take on the road in any condition. As for the mud,if a haulier or a builder left a mess like they do,it would be a court job.But in the country area’s,who are the magistrates,you’ve guessed it-farmers. :unamused:

Correct, it is illegal, and I can say they do enforce it, can take you to 3 farmers near here who have had summon’s and fines for it. Every Oct/Nov I have a regular, sometimes daily disagreement with a council muppet about this, even to the point of him calling the police in to get us stopped. Funny how they have never stopped us though, must be something to do with the sweeper we have with us :laughing:

Don’t tar us all with the same brush, there are some good ones out there too, same as in haulage. The crew I work for run top notch kit, all over spec’d for the job (commercial axles on all trailers, only 40k tractors as we think the 50k ones aren’t safe), and a money no object approach to maintainance (how many hauliers have that approach?) We harvest IRO 7500 acres of grass, wholecrop, and maize each year, and if field conditions lead to mud on the road signs are used along with either a couple of lads with a brush and shovel if its minor to a roadsweeper if bad (2008 had a sweeper with us for the majority of the 2 mnth maize season). We’re currently looking to modify an old 7.5t sweeper to be towed by a tractor, so we can bring the whole thing in house.

well i was out today and the road i travelled on had mud coming out the feild gate foe the next two miles it was a muddy trail, no problem as the farmer has to do his job, on my return some 4 hours later i come behind said farmer in his tractor with a power brush cleaning the mud off the road, so not all farmers leave the mud on the road to make a mess

They do clear it up round here, but they get a bit of lee way, so they can do thier job. Most farmers work a field on thier own so if they are on and off the field all day they won’t clear it up on each trip but will normally at the end of the day with a road sweeper attachment.

Of course people complain as their cars get dirty with this mud left on the road even when it has been swept. But mostly they’re the one that have moved into the area, wanting the idealistic image of country living, A nice farm in the village (about which they complain about the smell and noises of the animals and they fact that the farmer starts work too early) a village pub (where they don’t drink) A village shop (where they don’t shop) and a village school (where they don’t send thier kids) Then complain when they close down. :confused:

muckles:
They do clear it up round here, but they get a bit of lee way, so they can do thier job. Most farmers work a field on thier own so if they are on and off the field all day they won’t clear it up on each trip but will normally at the end of the day with a road sweeper attachment.

Of course people complain as their cars get dirty with this mud left on the road even when it has been swept. But mostly they’re the one that have moved into the area, wanting the idealistic image of country living, A nice farm in the village (about which they complain about the smell and noises of the animals and they fact that the farmer starts work too early) a village pub (where they don’t drink) A village shop (where they don’t shop) and a village school (where they don’t send thier kids) Then complain when they close down. :confused:

Muckles,

Dont know where in Norfolk you are, I’m over near Acle where they dont clean the roads much. But hey, they’ve got to make a living too and if boy racer wants to fly round the country lanes at top speed then he wont be doing it too long.

Totally agree with the second paragraph though. Lets all move to Norfolk and then try and impose our way of life on them. Sod off home the lot of ya and leave us alone :smiley:

Henrys cat:

Dave the Renegade:

Correct, it is illegal, and I can say they do enforce it, can take you to 3 farmers near here who have had summon’s and fines for it. Every Oct/Nov I have a regular, sometimes daily disagreement with a council muppet about this, even to the point of him calling the police in to get us stopped. Funny how they have never stopped us though, must be something to do with the sweeper we have with us :laughing:

Don’t tar us all with the same brush, there are some good ones out there too, same as in haulage. The crew I work for run top notch kit, all over spec’d for the job (commercial axles on all trailers, only 40k tractors as we think the 50k ones aren’t safe), and a money no object approach to maintainance (how many hauliers have that approach?) We harvest IRO 7500 acres of grass, wholecrop, and maize each year, and if field conditions lead to mud on the road signs are used along with either a couple of lads with a brush and shovel if its minor to a roadsweeper if bad (2008 had a sweeper with us for the majority of the 2 mnth maize season). We’re currently looking to modify an old 7.5t sweeper to be towed by a tractor, so we can bring the whole thing in house.

Hi Henry’s cat,
I take your point. The big outfits like yours do clean the roads,but if you come to the Welsh Borders where I live there are a lot of smaller arable farms who haul grain,straw,spuds,etc and very few use a sweeper or power brush. I agree some are very responsible people,but they are in the minority in a lot of country area’s.

DadsRetired:

muckles:

Muckles,

Dont know where in Norfolk you are, I’m over near Acle where they dont clean the roads much. But hey, they’ve got to make a living too and if boy racer wants to fly round the country lanes at top speed then he wont be doing it too long.

Totally agree with the second paragraph though. Lets all move to Norfolk and then try and impose our way of life on them. Sod off home the lot of ya and leave us alone :smiley:

I live Attleborough way and we are based in some untis in a farm. I know the farmer does clean the roads round here, but there is only 3 of them working on the farm and one of them retired at Christmas although he still turns up for a bit of casual work. And mostly the more well used roads are cleared, but the real back roads are left muddy.