Farmers

Had one Monday.

Turn right out the gate, go about 500 yds, there’s a field on the left. Tip it in that one. Amazing but after 500 yds there was two gates side by side, both grass, which one??

Sod it tip it in the widest one.

When delvering lime once, I was told “the West field”. I looked on an os map, found the farm and tipped in a fast eld west of it. It was the wrong one. “West field” was actually south but then the farmer was probably poor so bought a cheap compass. It was either that or not buy the new horsebox for Dobbin to go to the gymkhana.

I was given directions by. . … a WOMAN!!! who worked in a John Deere dealership the other day, in Somerset/Devon near Dulverton. They were spot on as well, avoiding the tight turns etc and I found my way right to the farm drive. The farm was a mile down said drive which in reality, was a sheep drove. I walked the mile to collect a tractor from a sale at the now sold farm, the previous week. No tractor. “Try the field about half a mile back the way you came”. I walked across the fields to it rather than back to the lorry and back along the lane. It was raining, the rain was half way up my shins and sodden. I found the field. No tractor. Made a call. It was picked up last week and taken to another farm ready for me to collect, near Wellington. Brilliant.On another occasion I got pulled a mile back down a lane backwards near Menheniot in Cornwall once in an artic after going wrong and getting wedged in, farmers can be bloody helpful folk when you’re on your own.

Re: the bales, the tractor is legal but it is on straw so it would be. You looks for the 17yr old boy driving a 9t tractor on a trailer which has SF16 on the side of it (Richard Western trailers have the model numbers referring to their carrying capacity stickered on the sides), weighing 6t empty and loaded up with wheat. … . over a weighbridge at the mill grossing upwards of 30t, at 11 o’clock at night after tipping the last of last nights wheat at 8 o’clock that morning. … That, takes the pi$$!!!

NiceRoadTrucker:
I was given directions by. . … a WOMAN!!! who worked in a John Deere dealership the other day, in Somerset/Devon near Dulverton. They were spot on as well, avoiding the tight turns etc and I found my way right to the farm drive. The farm was a mile down said drive which in reality, was a sheep drove. I walked the mile to collect a tractor from a sale at the now sold farm, the previous week. No tractor. “Try the field about half a mile back the way you came”. I walked across the fields to it rather than back to the lorry and back along the lane. It was raining, the rain was half way up my shins and sodden. I found the field. No tractor. Made a call. It was picked up last week and taken to another farm ready for me to collect, near Wellington. Brilliant.On another occasion I got pulled a mile back down a lane backwards near Menheniot in Cornwall once in an artic after going wrong and getting wedged in, farmers can be bloody helpful folk when you’re on your own.

Re: the bales, the tractor is legal but it is on straw so it would be. You looks for the 17yr old boy driving a 9t tractor on a trailer which has SF16 on the side of it (Richard Western trailers have the model numbers referring to their carrying capacity stickered on the sides), weighing 6t empty and loaded up with wheat. … . over a weighbridge at the mill grossing upwards of 30t, at 11 o’clock at night after tipping the last of last nights wheat at 8 o’clock that morning. … That, takes the pi$$!!!

Even with silage sides on those SF16s are only 4T empty. I’m not confident you’d get 16 tonne of wheat in one

We’re both a tonne out, then. 4850kg standard :smiley:

What’s a tonne between co forum people LOL

I take your point about hours though. I’ve done a fair bit of farming and I’ll admit to driving when I’d no business doing so through lack of sleep.

Milking at 4 then silage through til 11 then maybe drive to the next farm and park up get head down in the tractor seat for a few hours and rev up again. Not ideal but unavoidable if you want to stay employed

anisboy:

Big Joe:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

puntabrava:

Dave the Renegade:

Gross weight for a tractor and trailer is 25 ton !!!

Yes? whats your problem? those are quadrant bales x 40 at 300kg = 12 ton of straw, trailer 4 ton leaving 8.4 ton for the little Fendt 716, way under weight.

I would like to see that on a weighbridge,also the boys pulling an artic trailer on a dolly behind a tractor loaded with straw. Also their is very rarely a number plate on the trailer. If a bale fell onto your vehicle whilst following,how do you identify who the tractor is registered to ?

I tell you that little outfit would be underweight. All trailers need to show a number plate registered to a tractor on the farm but not necessarily the tractor towing.

I would say there is more likely to be 60 bales on that trailer puntabrava. I realise that you are from the farming fraternity, but I have also lived in a farming area all of my life.

Having done a fair bit of straw, theres 40 Quads on that load (he’s not really trying very hard as he could have got another layer on :wink: ), and Puntabrava will be spot on with the weight, I could get 60 quads on a stepframe which gave a payload around 18-22 tonnes, or 300-383kgs each :slight_smile:

Its strapped down better than most lorry loads too :wink:

Yes, that strap coming over the back at an angle says he has ‘x’ the back end to hold it on. Probably some lorry driver out of hours :neutral_face:

Tipper Tom:
Had one Monday.

Turn right out the gate, go about 500 yds, there’s a field on the left. Tip it in that one. Amazing but after 500 yds there was two gates side by side, both grass, which one??

Sod it tip it in the widest one.

the first gate you came to :confused:

I don’t care how muddy the gateway is, it’s when it’s dragged onto the road it annoys me.

Tipper Tom:

I take your point about hours though. I’ve done a fair bit of farming and I’ll admit to driving when I’d no business doing so through lack of sleep.

Milking at 4 then silage through til 11 then maybe drive to the next farm and park up get head down in the tractor seat for a few hours and rev up again. Not ideal but unavoidable if you want to stay employed

Aaaah it’s only a tonne or two, Drive!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m the same as you, buddy. Either farming or wagon driving from the age of 15. Combining for over 24hr then moving the header up the A303 to the next farm two or three hours away. … . It’s the way it goes when the weather is closing in. Road rules and vehicle/operator licensing needs massively overhauling though and the police etc really need to be educating. If the farming industry was put at the forefront of new legislation I am sure a pretty workable outcome would be reached.

NiceRoadTrucker:

Tipper Tom:

I’m the same as you, buddy. Either farming or wagon driving from the age of 15. Combining for over 24hr then moving the header up the A303 to the next farm two or three hours away. … . It’s the way it goes when the weather is closing in. Road rules and vehicle/operator licensing needs massively overhauling though and the police etc really need to be educating. If the farming industry was put at the forefront of new legislation I am sure a pretty workable outcome would be reached.

I couldn’t agree more, if a farmer was put in charge of transport it’d be sorted in no time. :slight_smile:

I was brought up in the sticks, and when we were teenagers, baling time was wonga time!

we used to tour the local farms and help with the hay… start at dawn, finish after dark and if were lucky a couple of cans of lager at the end of the day and 3 or 4 hours kip in the hayloft! happy days :slight_smile: we wernt driving on the road as we were too young, but the lads we worked with DID drive and we ALL kept the same hours!

thinking back now it was bloody dangerous, but there was money to be made!

B…

NiceRoadTrucker:

Tipper Tom:

Road rules and vehicle/operator licensing needs massively overhauling though and the police etc really need to be educating. If the farming industry was put at the forefront of new legislation I am sure a pretty workable outcome would be reached.

The police need educating and are incapable of educating when it comes to AG rules, ive had a pair of them with their 3’’ thick traffic reg books laid on the bonnet of a BMW at 5am trying to find a question to ask after I have had an attitude problem with them, many many times I have been pulled up and I have never met one policeman who knows a jot.

Oops, it was meant to say educated!