Sodding tractors!

Is it not illegal anymore to hold up x number of vehicles whilst coating the road in mud? A40 between Cheltenham and Oxford seems bad for Farmer Giles doing about “15 an arf on 'is Massey,torkin on fone, leavin me indicator flashin and lettin various farm implements protrude across the other side of the carriageway.”

Just as many on here often talk about how car drivers who slag us off would complain if there were empty shelves in the shops because trucks had been banned from the road…

How would you feel if suddenly 50% of truck driving jobs disappeared because farmers were banned from using tractors between field & farm = no agricultural produce/farm supplies/livestock to haul. (that’s Denis shafted then). :laughing:

This very topic has been discussed recently here.

Driveroneuk:
Just as many on here often talk about how car drivers who slag us off would complain if there were empty shelves in the shops because trucks had been banned from the road…

How would you feel if suddenly 50% of truck driving jobs disappeared because farmers were banned from using tractors between field & farm = no agricultural produce/farm supplies/livestock to haul. (that’s Denis shafted then). :laughing:

This very topic has been discussed recently here.

I’m not saying ban them, most tractors nowadays touch nearly 40, it’s the ones who insist on driving the slowest ones almost on a par with Fordsons (look around the Deddington area that can be worse than the A40). These get the others a bad name-all it takes is some consideration; similar to those who park alongside you and then wake everybody up by trailerswapping. Why should they get away with running clapped out junk on the roads (trailer with no lights/tailgate/no numberplate and their load blowing over the road?

be thee calling us tractor clapped out junk ? tha be a bit arsh i spect

& i dun’t leaves us indercater goin as us ant got nun see

fair comment though it is inconsiderate towards other traffic users , the trouble is on a road like the A40 ,once you’ve pulled over whats the chances of pulling back out again , i used to count 10 cars then pull over or just the neares layby i could find.
mind you i get more verbal abuse & hand gestures from doing 40mph in the truck than i do on my tractor at 18mph :unamused:

I have never considered tractor - following a problem myself.

There’s a very good chance that after a mile or two it’s going to turn off up a side road
or into a field anyway.

So what’s the delay? A couple of minutes?

But being one of the old school, I’d follow tractors all day. :laughing:

One of the best tractors ever built and worth several times what it cost new. Yup, about 18mph without multi-power and 23 with. Mechanical brakes, rear axle only.

Perkins Power!

Driveroneuk:

One of the best tractors ever built and worth several times what it cost new. Yup, about 18mph without multi-power and 23 with. Mechanical brakes, rear axle only.

Perkins Power!

Multi power ,how on earth did they let that out on the market ,in low you are basicly free wheeling :laughing:
i can remember getting up a good turn of speed on a 168 down hill ,had combine wheels and tyres and shakey steering

Yes it was good fun going down a steep hill in a town with a big load of hay behind you if you forgot engage it first. :unamused:

If all farmers had these beasts

you’d never get stuck behind a tractor again as most of those seemed to drive around at 85 mph (what they are limted at) even when towing 2 trailers stacked 14 ft high with hay bailes - happy days :grimacing: :grimacing:

MolePower:
be thee calling us tractor clapped out junk ? tha be a bit arsh i spect

& i dun’t leaves us indercater goin as us ant got nun see

fair comment though it is inconsiderate towards other traffic users , the trouble is on a road like the A40 ,once you’ve pulled over whats the chances of pulling back out again , i used to count 10 cars then pull over or just the neares layby i could find.
mind you i get more verbal abuse & hand gestures from doing 40mph in the truck than i do on my tractor at 18mph :unamused:

When driving JCBs I’d count roughly a dozen or so, it really is annoying though when I’m the only thing on the road and the tractor pulls out-2 seconds more and the road would be all his. What’s worse than tractors is the number of builders dumpers you see on the road with no lights, Paddy on the phone, leaking diesel or shingle everywhere.

axletramp:
I have never considered tractor - following a problem myself.

There’s a very good chance that after a mile or two it’s going to turn off up a side road
or into a field anyway.

So what’s the delay? A couple of minutes?

But being one of the old school, I’d follow tractors all day. :laughing:

Difficult to tell which field though as the indicators been flashing for ages! :smiley:

Driveroneuk:

Perkins Power!

yup massey ferguson 168 with a perkins A4.236 engine , probably the best engine they made easy starting & very efficient cooling , so much so it was their default engine for turbo’s ! multi power & IPTO wet brakes , the lot, so much better than trucks , unfortunately i don’t get paid to drive it :unamused: