Driver pulled over on break on M40

Harry Monk:
So many “holier-than-thou” posters on this thread. Has everybody really forgotten about the days when we Brits regularly “pulled the fuse” or “put the wire in”? :wink:

The British Empire used to move slaves. It grew on the cotton trade, that it knew used slave labour.
Weve moved on havent we? Times change, what was acceptable in 1718 aint acceptable today. Neither is what was acceptable in 1970. I for one was guilty of "pushing the limits" more than once. I paid the fines. Never killed anyone, maybe just luck.... But the streets are busier, there is less scope for error, and maybe I aint quite the “invincible trucking God” I thought I was.*
No, Harry, I am not a perfect person, never was, never will be, but I don`t think behaviour like has been shown here is acceptable. If only the perfect could cast the first stone no-one would walk free.

• Maybe I am an “invincible trucking God”, just with a crisis of confidence?

Concretejim:

Carryfast:
Confiscate the truck and load then sell it if possible at any price.Then give the money to the NHS. :bulb: :wink: Then deport the driver to Turkey.Then ask the Germans how does a Bulgarian resident hold a German driving licence and how does a Turkish national get resident work status in the EU and that German driving licences issued to non German residents won’t be recognised.Just as a UK licence isn’t valid in the case of non UK residents.

Plenty of turks living and working in germany mate. Millions of them in fact. Some trade deal done way back when germany needed lots of labourers.

Absolutely free movement of labour means access to the cheapest labour possible in this case even the Bulgarians,let alone Germans,can’t compete with non EU Turks. :unamused: :laughing:

He’ll still need to swap his German licence for a Bulgarian one if that’s now where he’s based though. :wink:

robroy:

Harry Monk:
So many “holier-than-thou” posters on this thread. Has everybody really forgotten about the days when we Brits regularly “pulled the fuse” or “put the wire in”? :wink:

Different times Harry, …and yeh I’ll hold my hands up, I was one of the worse offenders for it all, and then some.
I don’t need to tell an experienced guy like you that it’s a different ball game these days.
Point being, is that way of working is about as relavent in today’s job, as much as some of the methods and actions in that vid on the M62 1979 winter thread. :bulb:

Nothing’s really changed.In that if anyone took the ■■■■ and got caught making serious false entries in a log book or not having a log book at all or being found with more than one log book it was still rightly considered a serious offence.On that note no one defeats a tacho just to fix the stupid level of inflexibility it creates to get parked up at the end of a shift for example.

Harry Monk:

If you want honesty ive only been running legit for about 5 year now.But just over a year ago i spat my dummy out when i was asked to run with no card.When i was running bent i always said this island is not big enough for a night out.

robroy:
[
Different times Harry, …and yeh I’ll hold my hands up, I was one of the worse offenders for it all, and then some.
I don’t need to tell an experienced guy like you that it’s a different ball game these days.

What has changed? You don’t anymore, so cursed be he who dares to? :laughing:

milodon:

robroy:
[

What has changed? You don’t anymore, so cursed be he who dares to? :laughing:

Interpret it however you like mate, I really don’t care.
I don’t know how long you have been in the job, but if you had been in it since around that time, you would understand exactly what I meant.
You appear not to understand, so I can only assume you have not.

Well at least you’re admitting to your former wayward ways, doesn’t make you the worst hypocrite, but still.

milodon:
Well at least you’re admitting to your former wayward ways, doesn’t make you the worst hypocrite, but still.

More of a reformed character who has gained a lot more sense and experience since those days.

Hypocrite?
Possiblly, but that’s open to individual opinion. :bulb:

Carryfast:

Concretejim:

Carryfast:
Confiscate the truck and load then sell it if possible at any price.Then give the money to the NHS. :bulb: :wink: Then deport the driver to Turkey.Then ask the Germans how does a Bulgarian resident hold a German driving licence and how does a Turkish national get resident work status in the EU and that German driving licences issued to non German residents won’t be recognised.Just as a UK licence isn’t valid in the case of non UK residents.

Plenty of turks living and working in germany mate. Millions of them in fact. Some trade deal done way back when germany needed lots of labourers.

Absolutely free movement of labour means access to the cheapest labour possible in this case even the Bulgarians,let alone Germans,can’t compete with non EU Turks. :unamused: :laughing:

He’ll still need to swap his German licence for a Bulgarian one if that’s now where he’s based though. :wink:
[/quote
]

Thatll depend on his age.

robroy:
Never mind fines only, it should be a hard line zero tolerance in these cases.
Confiscate the load, and the truck and trailer and scrap it.
Jail the driver, revoke his licence, and only then start the fine process. :bulb:

It’s the only way to rid the industry of these [zb] cowboy operators and drivers, and get the [zb] s off our roads for good for a safer environment and a more professional image for the industry.
And not just for foreigners either, UK and Paddys included. :smiling_imp:
A strong message needs to be sent that these [zb].s are no longer wanted in the job by the rest of us. :bulb:

Totally agree. Well said. And whilst you’re at it fine operators for speeding hgv drivers too. Might stop the go go go firkin culture.

Some time for foreign drivers will much much more cheap stay at hard shoulder,pay some 60 or 90 (parking at services around 30)pound penalty Ang go.Because if driver overdrive ,overwork some 1-2 hours till found parking that in some country can get penalty for this××××.So parking in UK in hard shoulder,pay 60-90 and go.Every little help.

Andrejs:
Some time for foreign drivers will much much more cheap stay at hard shoulder,pay some 60 or 90 (parking at services around 30)pound penalty Ang go.Because if driver overdrive ,overwork some 1-2 hours till found parking that in some country can get penalty for this××××.So parking in UK in hard shoulder,pay 60-90 and go.Every little help.

So, UK fines are too low to be a deterrent.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Andrejs:

So, UK fines are too low to be a deterrent.

of course to low.plus problem with judge decision about clumping car or truck.

Andrejs:

So you admit that the fines are not big enough to be a deterrent so maybe confiscating the truck would be! This guy however wasn’t just going over his hours trying to find a place to park, you don’t need a magnet for that, he was cracking on together the job done quicker ,I never did :blush: :blush: , probably with his boss in his ear telling him how little money he is making from this load

eurotrans:

Andrejs:

So you admit that the fines are not big enough to be a deterrent so maybe confiscating the truck would be! This guy however wasn’t just going over his hours trying to find a place to park, you don’t need a magnet for that, he was cracking on together the job done quicker ,I never did :blush: :blush: , probably with his boss in his ear telling him how little money he is making from this load

Confiscated truck not easy.Not in UK or in another country truck not belong to operator.In UK can see near everyday car after accident and police not remove for 1-2week .I think no power to remove.But more easy must build much more cheap lay by.Don t needed KFC,Petrol station .Simply parking and WC.

Andrejs:

eurotrans:

Andrejs:

Confiscated truck not easy.Not in UK or in another country truck not belong to operator.In UK can see near everyday car after accident and police not remove for 1-2week .I think no power to remove.But more easy must build much more cheap lay by.Don t needed KFC,Petrol station .Simply parking and WC.

There isn’t enough parking. True.

But putting magnets on etc isn’t just to get to the next layby. It’s a knowing deliberate act.

If the vehicle confiscated isn’t the property of the operator maybe the operator would stiil pay the lease co even though it is not on the road? Guess it depends on contracts. Any way it’d concentrate minds.

robroy:
…Might be a perfectly good loand, truck, and trailer though! Why not confiscate it, and sell it on?
Jail the driver, revoke his licence, and only then start the fine process. :bulb:
…Costing the UK taxpayer money, might be driving without a licence in the first place, and will obviously plead poverty if anyone tries to fine him.

It’s the only way to rid the industry of these [zb] cowboy operators and drivers, and get the [zb] s off our roads for good for a safer environment and a more professional image for the industry.
I would agree with “revoking O licences” perhaps, but they’ll just advertise the job for even less pay, more hours - and let applicants with a criminal record, 11 points on licence OK, and No English at all take the wheel. Worst of all, if they start taking applicants that will end up being paid by the hour to plough the next bus queue, market, or whatever.
A strong message needs to be sent that these [zb].s are no longer wanted in the job by the rest of us. :bulb:

I recommend on-the-spot fines, and confiscation of LOAD (if fine not paid on the spot!) rather than truck & trailer, at which point the whole lot is then moved on.

This country needs to build hundreds of “Truck Pounds” around the land, somewhere near all the service stations so that such waylaid trucks can be unloaded in an orderly fashion. Perhaps a local outlet of “Range” or “Poundland” could open up to flog on the goods taking off the truck? :stuck_out_tongue:

Franglais:

Andrejs:

eurotrans:

Andrejs:

There isn’t enough parking. True.

But putting magnets on etc isn’t just to get to the next layby. It’s a knowing deliberate act.

If the vehicle confiscated isn’t the property of the operator maybe the operator would stiil pay the lease co even though it is not on the road? Guess it depends on contracts. Any way it’d concentrate minds.

first forget about magnet.In all truck 2013 reg magnet not working.Because in old truck this macho connected to gear box was metal.Now in all truck from ceramic.So magnet not stick to ceramic.but no so much truck 2012rwg or older do international delivery.

Winseer:

robroy:
…Might be a perfectly good loand, truck, and trailer though! Why not confiscate it, and sell it on?
…Costing the UK taxpayer money, might be driving without a licence in the first place, and will obviously plead poverty if anyone tries to fine him.

I would agree with “revoking O licences” perhaps, but they’ll just advertise the job for even less pay, more hours - and let applicants with a criminal record, 11 points on licence OK, and No English at all take the wheel. Worst of all, if they start taking applicants that will end up being paid by the hour to plough the next bus queue, market, or whatever.

I recommend on-the-spot fines, and confiscation of LOAD (if fine not paid on the spot!) rather than truck & trailer, at which point the whole lot is then moved on.

This country needs to build hundreds of “Truck Pounds” around the land, somewhere near all the service stations so that such waylaid trucks can be unloaded in an orderly fashion. Perhaps a local outlet of “Range” or “Poundland” could open up to flog on the goods taking off the truck? :stuck_out_tongue:

Simply rules need.First need do properly Computers base.If anyone get penalty that he must pay deposit before leave country.If not pay not give way to ferry or train.Germany have scanners in Motorway and they sometime stop truck after 6 month if some penalty was not paid.Why UK not do this???If you not pay Germany till collect that some time you will dropped at next junction.When I was first time in Germany that I pay not correct .After 2 week my boss ready get letter from Germany about not correct paid .We live in digital venture but some time in England some authority work by 19 venture.

Andrejs:
Simply rules need.First need do properly Computers base.If anyone get penalty that he must pay deposit before leave country.If not pay not give way to ferry or train.Germany have scanners in Motorway and they sometime stop truck after 6 month if some penalty was not paid.Why UK not do this???If you not pay Germany till collect that some time you will dropped at next junction.When I was first time in Germany that I pay not correct .After 2 week my boss ready get letter from Germany about not correct paid .We live in digital venture but some time in England some authority work by 19 venture.

Technology already exists with the ANPR network. Any vehicle travelling he motorway network with outstanding penalties should flash up on somebodies screen. For some reason, there simply isn’t the willingness to enforce it.