Do you carry your own dash cams?

I know there’s been talk on here about the company fitted ones etc. but as a limper and the company I currently work for not having them and reading more and more about the problems with being ‘brake tested’ etc. by idiots I’m looking at investing in one to cover my backside. What do you guys use/ recommend?

Yes I do/did.

If it proves my “innocence” to the gaffer even if not the insurance company, then it’s worth it.

It’s for my benefit, and obviously if it proved I drove like a ■■■■ it would have “malfunctioned” on the day in question!

They are so cheap it’s basically daft not too.

I got a £40 one from Maplins. Records in HD.

The way I see it, you are covering your own back (or front).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’ve had a Roadhawk camera in my truck and car for years.Wouldn’t be without it.Every month I could make a TV show about the dicks I see round and about,some of them professionals unfortunately.

The truck has one fitted.

Yes a Garmin.

Yes a g1w c.

Mine has been mounted in my cab for the last 18 months.

I do. Transcend summat or other. Saved me a potentially large legal bill recently when I rear ended a bewildered and befuddled car driver. Plus the footage provided amusement to a few too. :wink:

I have one, I got it to cover my arse, but if it was ever going to prove otherwise it would be removed and launched as far away from the scene as possible before anybody could look at or download it.

andy_s:
What do you guys use/ recommend?

slapstick:
Yes a g1w c.

I will second that, this is the camera with the ‘Novatek NT96650’ chip in it, the camera seems to have various names stuck on it. I bought one 2 years ago and it has been faultless (on a private vehicle so only 15,000 miles of use) . So impressed with it I bought another one for the wifes car, on this occasion I sourced it direct from hong kong on fleabay for £25.50, took a few weeks to arrive but essentially seems to be the same think - it don’t have GPS but I don’t think that is necessary can easily and more accurately calc speed from road markings, and the footage shows you exactly where you are.

We have forward facing cameras fitted but I have recently brought a cheap Screwfix Ring dash cam and it serves its purpose.

I have one fitted in the truck.

Cheers all. Think I’m going to get the Nextbase 212. Seems to get fair ratings in reviews for the price (£70).

andy_s:
Cheers all. Think I’m going to get the Nextbase 212. Seems to get fair ratings in reviews for the price (£70).

Thats on Amazon at the mo for £63.95. Good camera for the money.

Gembo:

andy_s:

Thats on Amazon at the mo for £63.95. Good camera for the money.

Did see it on there mate, and read some of the reviews etc. but for the small extra cost, I’d rather get it in town locally in case I have any issues and it’s easy to take back there.

I bought mine from here a while ago: ebay.co.uk/itm/iN-CAR-CAM-41 … 2445837842?

Use a spare smartfone, download autoguard and autoguard pro £2 ,job done ,even has gps

Yeah I use Autoguard as well - got a dashcam but it’s not the most reliable. Only trouble with smartphone apps such as Autoguard is that they chomp away at the battery, so you better have a decent USB cable that can carry the required charge. My phone has overheated on a few occasions after 12/13 hour van delivery shifts.

People snub dashcams, but even if you drop £300 on a fancy one in your car, then some ■■■■ reverses into you - it’s saved you your insurance excess. My dashcam has paid for itself a few times, including saving myself being got by one of those ‘claim for compo’ types who didn’t belt up in my taxi and hit the assault screen when I tapped the brakes.