What dash cam????

Afternoon all.

Im in the middle of sorting out my kit for when i start driving a class 2.

I ‘think’ i maybe leaving my job soon to start a new career driving.

Now, im after a wide angle forward facing dash cam.
But what one would you good people reccomend?

I had a low speed head on in my car (i was almost stationary) about 5 years ago.
Had a cheap halfords cam fitted and switched on at the time but when i tried to review the recording, it hadnt recorded anything. A faulty unit. The lights were on but nobody in!
So to be honest,id lost the faith in them.

But now i need one.

My budget is £150-£200 max.

What do you reccomend?

Thanks all.

Rich.

Rich, some company vehicles have the sort that constantly record and then if something happens (harsh brakes, bump in the road or whatever),it will retain the appropriate segment and probably make an audible noise in most cases. There is also usually a button to press that will keep the 30 seconds before and after the press or something along those lines.

Can’t make a recommendation as I’ve never felt the need to get one. You can definitely get away without one.

One of my drivers had a Snooper Sat Nav that had a built in dash cam.

It was fairly decent footage from what I saw. Although I can’t comment on anything else as I’m a TomTom fan (and our vehicles have built in dash cams) so didn’t look too hard when I got my new nav.

May be worth looking into a sat nav with it built in if you are determined? I hate having too many cables running around and would at some point lose it when I forget to take it all with me.

Ive already got a satnav so a camera would be separate

Thing is, i just like the idea of having one fitted incase anything were to happen insurance fraud like.
Being new to the game, i just want to keep myself covered.

Thanks for your replies.

Rich

I honestly wouldn’t bother spending money on it. I have front and rear cameras in my car, but would never dream of paying for it in a work motor, if the company want one, they can fit it (and most now do).

If you start tramping or are lucky enough to get your own motor when you start, then possibly fair enough. If you are cab hopping, I can guarantee you the time you forget to fit it is the day you have a bump. Also how soon would you get bored of fitting it and removing it? Plus if one day you leave it in, it will go missing.

I’ve dealt with absolutely ludicrous claims that got paid out even though we had good proof it wasn’t our drivers fault (including dash cam evidence). For bumps it’s simply cheaper to pay out than it is to fight it.

A dashcam saved me my NCB just last week. On my way in to work I was sideswiped and the mug tried to lie and say I hit him. I think I paid £40 for my Claoner dashcam. I’d have probably paid a grand for the footage just to wipe that “I’ve had a clever idea, I’m going to blame you” smile from that mug’s face. As it was it only cost me the initial £40 + an SD card… absolute bargain, don’t hesitate, get one.

It would be even worse having to explain to your boss it wasn’t your fault and they can’t see that it wasn’t as you have no proof… and then later they see the insurance paid out 50/50 or worse. I’d get another cheapie but check it often to make sure it’s not filling up or glitching while recording.

I have a Street Guardian SGGCX2Pro and happy with it

dashcamtalk.com/forum/

Thanks all.
Ill take a look at the street guardian.
The truck is about 5 years old and hasn’t got a camera fitted.
Also, I’ll be the only driver.

I want a camera just to hedge my bets should an incident happen.

Thanks again

Rich

Nextbase 522W is available for £150 direct or probably similar from otger places too. Plus get a class 10 SD card between 64 and 128GB (Sandisk or similar).

nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cam … -dash-cam/

Takes a couple of mins to fit / remove unless you’re properly fitting around windscreen and includes the polerising filter to reduce light glare.

Personally I skipped the cig lighter and bought a 3 USB cig lighter plug, used a mini USB cable (not micro or type C) and then I can run sat nav, dash cam and charge phone from either 12 or 24v socket.

Only thing I would do is turn off the Gforce setting amd format the catd every month as that removes any glitches from the card.

Ultimately it’s about protecting your licence and your job.