Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

HRS:
Thats a nice little outfit John, What is the GTW with the trailer ■■

Harvey its 7000 kilo’s although its no where near that as the stuff is quite bulky nut last week when I did some road plainings reckon I had 2500 kl on the back but it does not look heavy, I am trying at the moment to update the truck to a later model but they get sold in the blink of an eye, cheers JD.

Buzzer:

HRS:

Harvey its 7000 kilo’s although its no where near that as the stuff is quite bulky nut last week when I did some road plainings reckon I had 2500 kl on the back but it does not look heavy, I am trying at the moment to update the truck to a later model but they get sold in the blink of an eye, cheers JD.

The single wheels had me foxed must have a strong back end not to sit-up and beg and the bails look dry !!! Harvey

Hi John, Just seen your ISUZU wagon and drag article and photo. It reminded me of an incident in the 1980s.
In addition to my 4 rigid HGV curtainsiders, I had a Fiat Ducato van for doing odds & sods, and bits & bobs, Its GVW
was 2250kg, so it could carry just over 1 ton, and it already had a 50mm towball fitted when I bought It.
At that time, I was the Northwest carrier for Addis Housewares, and a pallet of their product rarely weighed above
250kg, so I rented a tandem trailer, just like yours, from Simon Elston at Wigan Trailer Centre. The trailer
could carry 3 pallets, plus 2 in the van, and 2 local journeys per day, 10 pallets made a decent profit.
One day, Malc, the driver, got pulled near Haydock by Traffic Police Officer, Graham Robinson, known locally
as “Red Robbo”, who told Malc and me later that day, that the gross weight of the van & trailer was 4250kg GVW,
and as such, the van should be fitted with a Tachograph, and be included on my Operators Licence.
Of course, I was aware of this, but the loaded weight of the van & trailer rarely exceeded 3250kg.
I took the trailer to Simon Elston, who removed the makers plate, and made and fitted a new one showing 1200kg GVW.
PC Robinson, who I considered to be firm, but fair, and very sincere, said that if I ever needed advice or help with any
part of the Road Traffic Act, then I should phone him, and he gave me his card. His knowledge of the Road Traffic Act
was immense. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Interesting tale Ray ^^^

I personally never got stopped by Red Robbo, but I wonder if other locals such as as Eddie Heaton would agree with your ‘firm but fair’ analysis!!

John.

John West:
Interesting tale Ray ^^^

I personally never got stopped by Red Robbo, but I wonder if other locals such as as Eddie Heaton would agree with your ‘firm but fair’ analysis!!

John.

John, I agree with your comments, I knew he was not very popular with us lorry drivers in the North West, but I only got
to meet him once, he could have took the above issue further through the legal system, or even worse, contacted VOSA,
thus jeopardising my Operators Licence, upon which the livelihood of me and my 4 drivers depended. Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Hi John, Just seen your ISUZU wagon and drag article and photo. It reminded me of an incident in the 1980s.
In addition to my 4 rigid HGV curtainsiders, I had a Fiat Ducato van for doing odds & sods, and bits & bobs, Its GVW
was 2250kg, so it could carry just over 1 ton, and it already had a 50mm towball fitted when I bought It.
At that time, I was the Northwest carrier for Addis Housewares, and a pallet of their product rarely weighed above
250kg, so I rented a tandem trailer, just like yours, from Simon Elston at Wigan Trailer Centre. The trailer
could carry 3 pallets, plus 2 in the van, and 2 local journeys per day, 10 pallets made a decent profit.
One day, Malc, the driver, got pulled near Haydock by Traffic Police Officer, Graham Robinson, known locally
as “Red Robbo”, who told Malc and me later that day, that the gross weight of the van & trailer was 4250kg GVW,
and as such, the van should be fitted with a Tachograph, and be included on my Operators Licence.
Of course, I was aware of this, but the loaded weight of the van & trailer rarely exceeded 3250kg.
I took the trailer to Simon Elston, who removed the makers plate, and made and fitted a new one showing 1200kg GVW.
PC Robinson, who I considered to be firm, but fair, and very sincere, said that if I ever needed advice or help with any
part of the Road Traffic Act, then I should phone him, and he gave me his card. His knowledge of the Road Traffic Act
was immense. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Very interesting Ray, Changing the plate on the trailer to drop the GTW.
Well over a hundred years ago ( feels like it ) I was running an unregistered tractor ( chassis cab ) most importantly no fith wheel through Wiltshire and took a short cut
marked 7.5 tons. I showed the Policeman the weigh bridge ticket, less than 7.5 tons, he said it is the design weight, 32 tons ( 4 wheeler), no fith wheel i said, does not count.
After a long chat with his mate he said, “Go” and dont let me catch you again. moto. ■■■■■■■■ baffels brains. Harvey

Good evening all?
Them eggs looking good John,had a brief chat with the boss this morning she said you’d been busy lol

Was cold in the Alsace the other week but the sun still shines on the righteous lol
30D7F5F9-36F6-4E12-8DFB-5AF5158EA9E9.jpeg

Tipping in E R F way middlewich 7hrs of my life I won’t get back!!!

Delivery to Iceland…the shop not the country lol
53D59102-B360-45A1-9EE5-F806F31AE36C.jpeg

Giving the limelight over to some of the others for a change parked in Tracy Island the other week hiding from the snow lol
98434202-82B8-4DB8-A10B-B332E47EFFB0.jpeg

What a difference a day makes? Everything thawed out & Tracy Island to myself on a Saturday so pride restored & I done the back doors of all the trls parked as well (the things we do for pickled eggs & chalots)lol
E59D11A5-78CB-487B-9743-D3DEBF7D6762.jpeg
EABED577-2965-4540-A8B1-6E4A1404E721.jpeg

Buzzer:

HRS:

If you’re looking to update the ‘farm vehicle’ Buzzer, perhaps you should get yourself one of those JCB Fastrac’s, like all the other farmers have. Think of the benefits - you could even use it to tip a few company trailers for a bit of casual work - after all, you wouldn’t be the first person pulling fridges on PLG tax, Red Diesel and no tacho eh? :laughing: :laughing:

Andrew Morrison:
Delivery to Iceland…the shop not the country lol

Hi Andrew,
Spent a lot of my life on one of these bays. we lost the contract 3 years ago to pick up and deliver to thier stores in N/Ireland, Harvey

It’s not only in Switzerland you get a room wiv a view lol
481C5A69-573F-451E-8E60-216FD60F906F.jpeg

Nice bays like being a sheep lol

Nice to come back after a few days off truck n trl all serviced a few little jobs done & all clean,ready to do it all again
FA36DDEF-4C40-469E-B86D-7F060084C801.jpeg

Unfortunately not for long loading out of places like this another sheep dip moment also weather don’t help at the moment either oh well can’t always be sunshine n beaches lol

Although did have a pleasant little jaunt across Woodhead Tuesday morning

CF546794-D3BD-42F3-BA8A-ACCAA6E2FD7E.jpeg

Well did not want to see this out the bedroom window this morning, it can naff off up norf where it belongs sorry Wrighty. Just makes everyday life more challenging and most people don’t know how to drive in it either and at the end of the day we are nearly in April and usually at this time of year my thoughts are with getting on with the harrowing and rolling but far too wet for that at the moment.
Did most of the chores yesterday so pleased that was the case when getting out of bed this morning to see that white crap, just a bale of haylage into steers and do the pigs this morning. Gave 20 old chicken to me mate who helps me and he took em to a little village auction on Friday night and cant believe they made £70, I went yesterday and got 30 new POL brown egg laying Lohman’s to replace these so had to clip one wing and ring them so I know how long I have had them, this I do usually in batches of 30 to 40 at a time through out the year so there hopefully is no drastic shortage of eggs.
On another note Andrew will be pleased as I am releasing the pickled eggs and they will be in the office from Monday, but he has competition as Trevor our warehouse man also has expressed great interest in these, thats all for now folks on the farming update, cheers Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Well we’ve certainly got the white stuff up ere it’s nearly as bad as the beast from the east, waters freezing and all the buildings are now full of sheep and lambs so it’s all hands on deck…
Back to work for me tomorrow off down to Donnington with a load of equipment for auction, then Evesham for a load back up north.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20180318_007.jpg

WP_20180316_003.jpg