Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Job satisfaction is the name of the game so glad your move was a goodun, if you ever find urself near us we are about a mile from J8 M27 and our yard is at J9 with overnight parking not a problem give us a shout I will PM you my mobile just in case, would be nice to put a face to a finger so to speak.
On a reminiscent note just found this picture circa about 1979, the 240 Volvo was bought five year old and the spread axle tilt were mine in someone elses livery, Buzzer.

Holiday today but you still got to see to the livestock, me and the Mrs littered up then put some haylage in for em, they are growing but they should for the hard grub they are getting through, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Job satisfaction is the name of the game so glad your move was a goodun, if you ever find urself near us we are about a mile from J8 M27 and our yard is at J9 with overnight parking not a problem give us a shout I will PM you my mobile just in case, would be nice to put a face to a finger so to speak.
On a reminiscent note just found this picture circa about 1979, the 240 Volvo was bought five year old and the spread axle tilt were mine in someone elses livery, Buzzer.

Is that you in the pic Buzzer?

Evening Buzzer

Been a quiet weekend up ere for a change, enjoying some prolonged rain (thanks Baldrick) which was much needed and it’s certainly making the grass grow now.
Back to work tomorrow going to Newcastle, and then a load down to Gloucester so should keep me busy…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170529_002.jpg

WP_20170529_001.jpg

Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow, not bad as it happens as the spuds are in flower and the bean’s are on the up and amazing what a bit of natural water does, a gallon of rain is better than two out the tap.
Wrighty the other pics are for you and are of a fellow farmer friend of mine who is about twenty miles from me and met her first when buying a bull from her one of the hardest deals I have endured, but now she is concentrating on Lims and loves the showing thing but that is a great deal of work so here are a few shots of her Championing at the Surrey County show last weekend.

Photo0734.jpg

pete smith:

Buzzer:

Yes that is John Davies AKA Buzzer

pete smith:

Buzzer:

Yes Pete it is me in that picture at Rownham’s Services IIRC before it got busy, long time ago late 70’s and the first Volvo I bought surprisingly from Meachers Commercial’s who were ERF agents and they took that as a part exchange ex Sibley’s on an OCL container contract. It was minging inside the cab as the driver was a dirty git so the first job believe it or not was to get the inside of the cab steam cleaned inside at Princes in Millbrook by Colin Grey and im’e sure some will remember him, a self employed man who was mobile in a van and a lot used his services. Took about a week to dry out but was worth the wait. The first time I was heading South from Paris in that motor I glanced down and suddenly realised I was doing 65 mph what a flyer but as we know not wise in France, cheers Buzzer.

Comfort adaption to this Field Marshall, in my youth I wasn’t man enough to wind one of them up, crank onto the flywheel, get the compression stroke right and be brave otherwise a kick back could result in serious injury.
crank start youtube.com/watch?v=Zmee6yFJmV0
shotgun cartridge start youtube.com/watch?v=01Sr8S9uQMc
Oily

Tractor Chris Allen cc by 2.0 4490608_202cfe2cac.jpg

Oily that was not uncommon for them Marshalls to have a canopy, the thing I noticed in your picture was the tread pattern on the rear tyre’s which I think is more modern than the tractor. From memory it was a pattern called IIRC was 141 and don’t know if this was the degree angle but is not the conventional style, cheers Buzzer.

Lorraines truck park from the Paul Gee collection which I have borrowed as many will remember this place, we had a slot in that park as did many others such as Mo Baker, R&A to mention a couple but many more Southampton companies (remember George on the gate, miserable git). Later the new park opposite with the café in the corner and later we took over a site opposite which was LTS. another fantastic Mary Hopkins moment cheers Dean B for the pictures thanks Buzzer.

AB13.JPG

Buzzer, You will be pleased to know there are quite a few Southampton hauliers in his collection.

Buzzer:
Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow, not bad as it happens as the spuds are in flower and the bean’s are on the up and amazing what a bit of natural water does, a gallon of rain is better than two out the tap.
Wrighty the other pics are for you and are of a fellow farmer friend of mine who is about twenty miles from me and met her first when buying a bull from her one of the hardest deals I have endured, but now she is concentrating on Lims and loves the showing thing but that is a great deal of work so here are a few shots of her Championing at the Surrey County show last weekend.

Evening Buzzer

Nice looking animal, and it certainly makes the time and effort seem worthwhile when you have success showing them. Well the grass is definately growing now and what a difference a fortnight makes, I suppose you will be ready to cut yours now but we are waiting for our new mower to be delivered hopefully before we need to cut ours…
Off now for a weekend of farming and relaxing and lawn mowing, off up Scotland on Monday delivering machinery so that should keep us busy…

Cheers Wrighty.

Loading out of Pulleyns other day starting to get some bling on it too,unusual!!Oh & next to it is my new weapon of choice!! My ones silver just in case any doubt lol
IMG_9465.JPG

Afternoon all and another hot day, Wrighty should have been braver and cut the grass beginning of this week and would be done now but alas I did not but still early yet for that. This morning I decided to let me calves out in the paddocks at home and boy did they like that, charging around amongst the chicken but they settled in the end and laid down in the shade, did not want them to have too much grass or they would get the sqwits little and often is the name of the game. They some how look bigger when I let them out so they are definitely growing well, cheers Buzzer.

Photo0735.jpg

Evening Buzzer

It has to be said that there is no better sight than cattle outside, far better than being stuck inside all winter…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20150607_012.jpg

A question for our two resident Market Gardeners/Allotmenters----- about where do the best New Tatties come from ( excluding, of course, those grown by our two eminent TN members!) Over the last few years when I have accompanied my Good Lady wife on the weekly shopping trip I have badgered her as to why she refuses to buy Jersey Royals anymore ! apart from telling me to keep me nose out of a task she has done without my “valued” input for years ! she tells me that in her considered opinion Jersey Royals had become tasteless and were just trading on their name from years past ! She maintains that both Pembroke and Cornish are now far superior and tastier ( as well as better value for money) than the Jersey offerings so guess which tatties are on our dinner table. Oh! and I can recall that as a school lad I used to help a local chap on his green grocery rounds with his horse lorry and he used sell Egyptian new taties which I believe were always first on the market in the 50’s/60’s, do they still appear nowadays ? Thanking you both in anticipation, cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
A question for our two resident Market Gardeners/Allotmenters----- about where do the best New Tatties come from ( excluding, of course, those grown by our two eminent TN members!) Over the last few years when I have accompanied my Good Lady wife on the weekly shopping trip I have badgered her as to why she refuses to buy Jersey Royals anymore ! apart from telling me to keep me nose out of a task she has done without my “valued” input for years ! she tells me that in her considered opinion Jersey Royals had become tasteless and were just trading on their name from years past ! She maintains that both Pembroke and Cornish are now far superior and tastier ( as well as better value for money) than the Jersey offerings so guess which tatties are on our dinner table. Oh! and I can recall that as a school lad I used to help a local chap on his green grocery rounds with his horse lorry and he used sell Egyptian new taties which I believe were always first on the market in the 50’s/60’s, do they still appear nowadays ? Thanking you both in anticipation, cheers Dennis.

Dennis how right your good Lady is and I agree with her entirely, Jersey spuds are a no no now in this house as well no flavour at all and I have been reliably informed that this is because the farmers are no longer allowed to use the sea weed for fertilizer a practice which is many years old in those Islands, probably an EU directive on conservation or summit of the like. Her choice is spot on and Cornish first closely followed by Pembroke in the season but nothing compares with digging your own half an hour before consumption. Yes the old Egyptian thing is still going but not at all nice in my opinion, that’s the trouble nowadays there are no real seasons as you can get fruit and veg from around the world all the time all year round. When I worked out of Cornwall in my early years of driving my first load of the week would be skimmed milk powder to the Ski yogurt factory just outside Norwich and nine times out of ten the return load was ware spuds from Norfolk or Lincoln nearly always delivered to the same wholesaler in Cornwall, he supplied several chip shops down there, of course this was always hand ball on and off but I was young and fit in them days.
As for accompanying my Mrs shopping that’s not allowed as she says the bill is always bigger because I am chucking stuff in the trolley like an alcohol enthused monkey so I am confine to cooking instead but in no doubt stuff out of your own veg patch is far superior.

Photo0734.jpg

Yes thanks buzzer for very good posts i have a bit on at the mo or else i would be giving my opinion [wanted or not]lol
However BEWICK tell you wife she is 100%correct jersey royals are ,hard ,green ,tasteless .longer to cook,i think some of those spuds have never seen the sky ,s over jersey …my opinion …do they scrape ,no,should they yes, i bet buzzer do ,when they are ready,so maybe buzzer should take over the production of new spuds and blow the old jersey boys back to FRANCE…JUST a quick point did i read it correct, has "the wanderer " ANDREW moved to “three mile cross”? if so you better behave has i spent many good years there…pdb…

Thanks for the explanation Buzzer I’ll pass on the “seaweed” bit to The Boss ! as regarding the shopping thing I get told if it is not on “the list” you aint getting it :confused: but then it’s fine if the Guv’nor decides that she has missed something off eh! Where’s the fairness in that then !! Many years ago I grew a few spuds on a corner of our garden then I packed some of them in sand inside a biscuit tin and re-buried them until lifting them again on Christmas morning and I seem to recall that they were OK however one year when I dug the tin up our Gardener, a retired family friend, had stuck a fork tyne through the lid ( by accident I beleive :angry: ) and when I opened up said tin they were just black mushy marbles in a tin full of stinking water ! I got laughed out of court by The Boss and our Son !! Ah! that’s life we can’t get it right all the time eh! :blush: Cheers Dennis.

peggydeckboy:
Yes thanks buzzer for very good posts i have a bit on at the mo or else i would be giving my opinion [wanted or not]lol
However BEWICK tell you wife she is 100%correct jersey royals are ,hard ,green ,tasteless .longer to cook,i think some of those spuds have never seen the sky ,s over jersey …my opinion …do they scrape ,no,should they yes, i bet buzzer do ,when they are ready,so maybe buzzer should take over the production of new spuds and blow the old jersey boys back to FRANCE…JUST a quick point did i read it correct, has "the wanderer " ANDREW moved to “three mile cross”? if so you better behave has i spent many good years there…pdb…

PDB for Andrew his driving life must be like a kid in a funfair, different rides and all have to be tried nice chap that he is and he does post pictures where ever he is at, Buzzer.